cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada/US Plan and VoLTE...

kristns
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First, I switched over from Koodo to PM yesterday because of the Canada/US plan. Everything seemed to go good as my number ported over no problem, but on my account dashboard, no where does it say I have a Canada/US plan so how do I know if I actually have US roaming?

Second, I'm using a Oneplus 11 which supports VoLTE but the option is greyed out. When I signed up I didn't realise that this could possible be restricted by vendor (which seems crazy to me as Koodo had VoLTE enabled for Oneplus). Am I stuck using 3G for phone service or is there a way to get VoLTE enabled for my phone?

Thank you Community!

21 REPLIES 21

CrazyValkyri
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Dang, was hoping you'd found something. I've still been looking into it and someone said to pop your sim in something they've approved of to enable it and then put it back? I have no idea how that works. Just out of curiosity, are you running ColorOS or OxygenOS? Not sure I want to flash a new ROM just to get it working correctly. 
Someone a year back said they had a 10T work right out of the box with telus. It's annoying that they change things around. Right now my phone is solid but the service in my area and house in particular is brutal. I need the flexibility of 5g and was hoping OP11 would be a good upgrade.

thanks @Handy1 

but Andoird people won't change to iPhone just because of that.

I don't mind iPhone, i use both.  But if @kristns want a new phone, Samsung would be an easier move

One plus 

HI @kristns 

what phone are you using now?

@kristns  May I then suggest iPhone 📱 

kristns

No, I couldn't get the non-root options to work and I didn't want to root my phone so I'm still sitting here with no VoLTE which sucks. I will definitely be avoiding OP phones in the future, I know that much!

CrazyValkyri
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you ever happen to find a work around for this? Or manage to get it working without rooting? I'd decided to buy a OP11 and just stumbled across the fact that VoLTE may not work with PM. Just hoping that isn't the case. 

kristns

Thanks for the link! It actually doesn't seem too difficult to do but the phone needs to be rooted and I use google pay on it which means if I rooted the phone I wouldn't be able to use that anymore. It seems crazy to me that OnePlus doesn't support this out of the box and you have to jump through hoops to get it to work or PM just doesn't allow all phones to be "approved" like Bell does.

Do you have a OnePlus and tried this method?

@kristns If you really want to be enable VoLTE on you phone, there's a way to do it. 

"Please ensure that your carrier and region support VoLTE. You can do this by contacting your service provider. It is advised to follow each step carefully so that you don’t end up bricking your smartphone. Also, make sure to take a backup of the data of your smartphone to PC or Laptop. So if anything goes wrong with the steps, your data will be safe and sound."

Follow this website's instruction :

https://www.digitbin.com/how-to-enable-volte-on-oneplus-11/#:~:text=To%20conclude%2C%20enabling%20Vo....

kristns

I have to say, the community is great for support! You folks rock! 

I'm going to the States 4 times over the next 3 months and was feeling bitter about paying Koodo $14/day to use my service there so that was the reason I switched over to PM. Degraded voice calling is not the end of the world since I really switched to the plan for the use of data in the States, but it is frustrating having a device that can do VoLTE but having the carrier not support it.

I will probably head to the Pixel for my next phone as I didn't realize this was/is kind of a big deal, especially in the future when Canada does start to decommission 3G HSPA. 

Thank you all for your help/support!

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kristns wrote:

Maybe I'm just crazy and thought that I was using VoLTE on Koodo and was not. I don't ever remember seeing a 3G while using my phone and noticed it right away when I switched to PM yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting anywhere with the ticket as I got the "your phone is not supported" answer.

@kristns sorry to hear about the bad news.  Pay close attention to what @dust2dust mentioned below about when being in the US, especially if you switched to this Can/US plan for the US roaming capabilities.  With VoLTE not supported/working on your OnePlus, expect a degraded experience south of the border, especially for voice calling. 

If you really love the 1+ then finding a carrier where other 1+ users have had VoLTE success is key.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.  The reality is that Canadian carriers really only want to deal with a very small subset of devices to keep their support costs down.  This means iPhone, Pixel and Samsung are your best bets for success.  From the sounds of things, we are a few years off from the 3G HSPA network decommissioning here in Canada, but degraded 3G voice calling will likely become more prevalent as we get closer to the end...

If this is a deal breaker for you, go back to support and explain how having VoLTE working is a necessity, otherwise you will have to find an alternative.  Perhaps some more support time will be invested and you may end up being lucky.

Good luck!

kristns

Maybe I'm just crazy and thought that I was using VoLTE on Koodo and was not. I don't ever remember seeing a 3G while using my phone and noticed it right away when I switched to PM yesterday.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting anywhere with the ticket as I got the "your phone is not supported" answer.

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kristns wrote:

Second, I'm using a Oneplus 11 which supports VoLTE but the option is greyed out. When I signed up I didn't realise that this could possible be restricted by vendor (which seems crazy to me as Koodo had VoLTE enabled for Oneplus). Am I stuck using 3G for phone service or is there a way to get VoLTE enabled for my phone?

Canadian carriers and OnePlus have both shown zero interest in getting VoLTE working here in Canada on OnePlus devices.  If you actually had VoLTE working on Koodo postpaid consider yourself very lucky.  Even Koodo's official support list does not mention OnePlus anywhere.  There are plenty of online forums/posts about OnePlus and VoLTE.

VoLTE is turned on for all new accounts made since Feb 2023.  Since your calls are all dropping to 3G, VoLTE is not working and IMS would not be registered on your device.  Submitting a ticket (which you have done) is your only recourse now.  Cross your fingers and knock on wood...

kristns

Thank you for this information. It is unfortunate that they are so restrictive about the devices that can use VoLTE and it doesn't even seem like a regional thing. I notice that they support some TCL phones which are Chinese so I was hoping the Oneplus would work! Hopefully in the future they expand on this list.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Public has a severely restrictive filter/whitelist for enabling volte on certain devices. My phone can do volte as well but they won't enable it. I've asked. On more than one occasion. So in your case, when in the states, you'll need to be able to switch down to the old 2G GSM for talk. It might switch down automatically for incoming calls. Talk and text will work on 2G. Text and data will work on 4G LTE.

kristns

The message has been sent to CS_Agents. Thank you for your help @Handy1!

@kristns  I would submit ticket with support and ask them to enable it . I’m very surprised it’s not already . But you only joined yesterday . So it may take 2-3 days . Confirm with support 

message support directly

while your already here and logged in the community you can send a private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

kristns

I know VoLTE is not working correctly because if I turn off WiFi, I can see I'm on 5G then if I make a phone call I can see the 5G drop to 3G and have terrible data speeds while on the phone.

@kristnsPM enables it on the account and hides the option for whatever reason .as for your CAN :US plan that’s the one you have definitely . Also test  it by calling the US . It should work and won’t cost you any extra as PM is pre paid . Never a surprise bill here . 

adding you can test for voLTE also . Turn of wifi and make a call does it say LTE when calling that confirms the voLTE is enabled and working .if it says 3G then it’s not enabled @kristns 

kristns

I was just a bit concerned as no where in my dashboard does it say that it is a CANADA-US plan or that I can roam in the US which I figured it would and wanted to make sure I indeed got the plan that I expected to get.

kristns_0-1690281228614.png

kristns_1-1690281285767.png

As for VoLTE, I see the option on my phone but it is greyed out and I have no way of enabling it. I'm confused as to why this would be the case. I see that the Oneplus 11 is not listed under supported phones but there still must be a way to turn this feature on? Would be pretty terrible of PM to not allow me to enable VoLTE because I'm using a Oneplus 

kristns_3-1690281469925.png

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@kristns  If you just joined  PM it safe to say voLTE  is enabled on your account. And confirm your plan  in my account on over view page or payment tab 

simply try refreshing the page to check data plan / mins / add ons

Handy1_0-1690280425000.jpeg

For most up to date account info

Handy1_1-1690280462128.png

Need Help? Let's chat.