cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 5G Canada/US plan in Florida (gulf side near Dunedin) with non-whitelisted VoLTE phone

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wanted to share some info based on my wife's experience today in Florida with her Samsung Galaxy S10+ which has VoLTE but is not on PM's whitelist.

T-Mobile: Calls going out and in worked, texting out and in worked, data works

AT&T: Calling out does not go through, calls in go to voicemail after one ring. Texting out and in worked, data works

Verizon: Her phone said something like SIM card does not allow it, no calls, no texts, do data.

7 REPLIES 7

@eddieO  T-Mobile's 2G network was originally planned to be shut down this past April but they now say they don't have a definite date but will be shutting down parts of it over time.  Fortunately for Canadians roaming without a PM approved VoLTE phone it still works where available. 

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think you might be right @Phil_Adelphus. I asked my wife to check if she could see if it was still showing LTE or something other. The screenshot she sent me only showed an R which I'm assuming it's for roaming 

Bill31
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh, that's surprising! Thanks for clearing that up.

HI @Bill31 

but look like the VoLTE or not is based on PM's whitelist and not T-Mobile's

Bill31
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm saying something that everyone knows already ...

If you go to the T-Mobile  website you can enter the IMEI number of your phone and they'll tell you if it is VoLTE compatible and to what extent it will work on their network in the US.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@eddieO   Is it possible that T-Mobile worked because the phone was dropping to 2G?   That's the usual fall back for non VoLTE phones when US roaming since T-Mobile still has some remaining 2G network (for now).  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @eddieO 

thanks for sharing.  I am eager to know if Verizon works, but sadly, we got 2 posts today saying it does not

Need Help? Let's chat.