cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the US-Can 5G 50GB plan

lovish02
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

1. There are no hidden roaming fees when travelling between US and Canada right? I would still be paying $34 every month for unlimited talk text and 50GB data irrespective of where I am?

2. What happens when my Canadian family calls my Canadian number while I'm in the US on this plan? Would they be charged long distance? Or would their plan process the call as if I were in Canada.

3. What happens when someone in the US calls my Canadian number while I'm in the US on this plan? Would they be charged long distance because of my Canadian number?

4. I've heard the plan uses VoLTE to make calls while in the US. Is the quality bad? Anyone have issues with call quality?

7 REPLIES 7

Sana_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

1. There are no hidden roaming fees when travelling between US and Canada right? I would still be paying $34 every month for unlimited talk text and 50GB data irrespective of where I am?

YES. you will be paying $34

2. What happens when my Canadian family calls my Canadian number while I'm in the US on this plan? Would they be charged long distance? Or would their plan process the call as if I were in Canada.

they will pay local call charges as usual. 

3. What happens when someone in the US calls my Canadian number while I'm in the US on this plan? Would they be charged long distance because of my Canadian number?
yes. they will be charged long distance charges whatever they usually pay to call you while you are in Canada. 

4. I've heard the plan uses VoLTE to make calls while in the US. Is the quality bad? Anyone have issues with call quality. Not experienced. but it must not be bad in general in urban areas, unless somewhere in remote, for that part you can check service area covered by VoLTE on their website. Technology have evolved a lot, so usually in service area there is no bad quality any more, except underground or remote areas. 

@lovish02  The Canada-US plan should just cover the US and Canada as if it is just one area.

On AT&T 5G may not work, it may work on T-Mobile.  That's why it's usually said to at least start off on 4G/LTE until you know everything is working.  Public Mobile has recently added Verizon to the roaming partners but I have no idea what the capabilities are with them.

lovish02

I have an iPhone 12. 

So what I understand is, any Canadian number calling me won't get charged LD irrespective of whether I'm in the US or Canada. Any American number calling me while I'm in America won't get charged LD either. 

Will I have 5G in the US? Because the coverage map only shows 4G for America.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@lovish02 

1 - As the plan refers: it will work while you are in Canada and USA with no additional roaming charges.

Just remember to connect to the AT&T or T-Mobile network if your phone doesn’t connect automatically.

2 - The call will come in as if you are in Canada and charge for LD charges because they are calling a Canadian number.

3 - No they won’t be charge for LD because they are on a USA network and the plan covers calls in both countries.

4 - What phone do you have because there is a whitelist of phones that you can enable VoLTE (voice over LTE)?

@lovish02 

iPhone 12 is on PM's VoLTE whitelist, it will work becautifully 🙂

Fyi, here is the PM VoLTE whitelist:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

lovish02

What does whitelisted mean? I have an iPhone 12 by the way

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@lovish02 

1. No more roaming cost, no hidden charge

2. and 4 yes, it will work.  But honest, it will be easier to make and receive calls if your phone is whitelisted by PM.  If yours is not, then you will have to use T-Mobile 2G network, which has less coverage and could be harder to connect.  What phone you got?

3. they won't got charged and you will get the calls 

Need Help? Let's chat.