cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make a local call

slingerkb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When trying to make a local call I get a message that this call cannot be completed. You don't have an active long distance plan. This just started yesterday. These are numbers I frequently have called and numbers in my contacts. I have always used them without a problem until now

54 REPLIES 54

@Shelleylee wrote:

I will upgrade my plan in April

Just a tip - rather than remembering to do it then, you can select the new plan today, and select "Change on next renewal date" so it will be queued up now, and you can forget about it until it renews with the new plan on it's own.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shelleylee : Great to hear. Thanks for confirming that the work around works.

Shelleylee

Yes mine was the older Provincial unlimited plan, & I still have 2 months left on my 3 month plan.
So I added the 500 minutes for $5 and it has started working. I will upgrade my plan in April

Thank you for all the suggestions

Shelleylee

Thank you, I think that I will have to try that.

slingerkb

That is the exact problem I was having. I had unlimited provincial minutes and unlimited texting in Canada. Not sure if the texting was international. I submitted a ticket and did get someone pretty quick and mentioned that someone in the community said they upgraded their plan and it worked for them. So I said I was willing to do that if it would solve my problem. My account had about 2 weeks left on it and they credited my account. I added enough to upgrade to a better plan which allows unlimited Canada calling and unlimited text and some data I won't use but is nice to have. I got all this for the same as my provincial calling plan. 25 dollars a month. The moderator did the work as soon as I had the money in my account and it worked right away. I was very happy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shelleylee : It would be shown on your self-serve.

But anyway...the reason I ask is in this very thread you found your way to, the customer went through the moderators to change their plan to a roughly equal cost plan with more features and also got credited back some value of the previous plan which is off-policy which was very nice.

You could do your own immediate plan change to another plan. Or you could buy the $5 Canada long distance add-on and see if that works until your next renewal. Doing that you can change your plan for the renewal rather than immediate.

The cause of all this seems to be some system bug that has risen up for provincial plan holders. At least that's my theory.

Shelleylee

When I went to make a phone call today it said that it could not complete my call because i did not have an active long distance add on and that the call is not covered by this plan. These are calls that I make all of the time and they are not long distance, so I don't understand why all of a sudden they don't work. 

Shelleylee

Probably, I've had it for awhile. Honestly I can't remember how long it's been, at least a year, maybe two.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shelleylee : But is it the old provincial unlimited?

Shelleylee

I have unlimited minutes and the airplane mode and reboot did not work either

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shelleylee : Are you on a provincial plan? Or are you on a limited minute plan?

Shelleylee

I tried rebooting it already and adding a 1 in front does not work either.

Shelleylee

My phone just started acting up today when I tried to call my son's after school program to let them know that I was there for pick up. It said :" Sorry we cannot complete this call, you do not have an active long distance add on. and this call is not covered by your plan."

But my phone was working great yesterday, so i'm lost as to why it's doing this because the calls are all local 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : What a great outcome. Thanks for updating us all. And awesome that they went above the policy and credited you back some.

I'll keep my musing about them maybe "forcing" people out of provincial plans 🙂

@slingerkb wrote:

They did credit the remainder of my old plan to my new plan and my phone worked as soon as I upgraded to the new plan. Same money for a better plan. Thanks to the community for slugging it out with me and getting a result that I was quite happy with.

Hi @slingerkb so nice to hear that your problem was resolved.  Yay!  Also nice to hear your appreciation to the community members who helped you.  Public Mobile does have an amazing community and that's us, your fellow customers.

Stay safe

RosieR

slingerkb

They did credit the remainder of my old plan to my new plan and my phone worked as soon as I upgraded to the new plan. Same money for a better plan. Thanks to the community for slugging it out with me and getting a result that I was quite happy with.

slingerkb

So the easy solution was to change my monthly plan and it did work. I got a better plan for the same money. I had an old provincial plan I guess. I was happy with my moderator. They credited my account with the remainder of my old plan. Overall I am very happy with the result. At first I was not happy because I couldn't get a tech on the phone but was pleasantly surprised with the online experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : But nobody's forcing you to change plans. It's an optional work around. Like the $5 add-on (maybe...worth a try though). You would also need to be aware that changing from a plan that is no longer offered will lose the ability to go back to it.

You have since started the ticket process right?

slingerkb

if I have to upgrade my plan to get it to work because my old plan doesn't work and they don't reimburse me for the old plan, that is not returning something because I don't like it. That is theft.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : When the service is not working perhaps. But then no provider guarantees 100% uptime.

By the way, it's useful to use the tagging method to indicate who you're replying to. Type the @ sign and a list of thread participants will show and you can select one. Or keep typing to tag someone else. Or add the whole quote but that doesn't work on mobile browsers.

slingerkb

Sounds like theft to me. Paying for a service they are not providing

slingerkb

what was your old plan and what is your new plan

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : The policy is no refunds and there's no pro-rating here. If you're early in your current plan then try the $5 500 minute add-on. It's only $5. You could change to the $15 plan and use it up over time and then change to an unlimited plan.

slingerkb

Did they reimburse you for your old plan or did they keep your money.

@slingerkb 

Others with the same issue reported that issue is gone once the plan is charged to a new (and better priced) one.

How far are you into your plan?

There are lots of people with the same issue and i suspect moderators are buried under a pile of tickets right now

If you are about to renew very soon maybe it makes sense to renew right away.

If you can't wait for the mod response another thing you could try is to renew early anyways and then contact a mod and ask to reimburse you for the abandoned plan that you paid for bit couldn't use for to glitch. There is no guarantees you will actually get the credit back.

I was involved in a plan wide glitch couple of years ago and one day we were all renewed early (for free off course) while still waiting for the mode response

But since you are on outdated and not so well (anymore) plan it may be worth it.

Jaci

yes updateing my plan worked. and im not paying anything different

Jaci

i have the same plan as you and it seems like they are old plans and we need to updated them...ive been having the same issue since yesterday as well and theres a new plan for the same cost..i will let you know if it solves it for me.

I think "customer support" is as fast or faster here at PM than anywhere else. For the most part, any questions are addressed within a minute or two if posted in our Community Forum.

People who aren't tech savy are going to have problems no matter where they seek their info. If they happen to have a teenaged family member to assist would be best.

There are frequent posts of customers who left for those reasons...but came back eventually.

Not knowing what plan @slingerkb is on, I find it hard to believe that Rogers has a less expensive comparable plan! Maybe a plan from one of Rogers lesser brands does which may ultimately have the same online support model as PM. (Not sure) People saying that there is “no technical support” here when in reality there is just no “phone support” shows how little research they have done. Technical support is online here both through moderators (Company employees) and customers on the Community.

AE_Collector

@slingerkb wrote:

I am looking into other plans as I write this. I can get all of Canada unlimited calling and unlimited text international with Rogers for less money. I notice they have it in public mobile as well but I am looking for better tech service. I will look for one with the best customer service record. Not sure where it will be yet

There's may be others who are ready to quit PM as well...so keep us posted on what good plans you find. Give us details of the plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.