cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make a local call

slingerkb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When trying to make a local call I get a message that this call cannot be completed. You don't have an active long distance plan. This just started yesterday. These are numbers I frequently have called and numbers in my contacts. I have always used them without a problem until now

54 REPLIES 54

slingerkb

I am looking into other plans as I write this. I can get all of Canada unlimited calling and unlimited text international with Rogers for less money. I notice they have it in public mobile as well but I am looking for better tech service. I will look for one with the best customer service record. Not sure where it will be yet

jamoozle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@HALIMACS Absolutely no change to the numbers I'm calling or the locations I'm calling from. Just 902/782 area codes, located in NS (i.e. no PEI 902s).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : Which brings me to wonder...how much are you paying for your plan? Perhaps the current plans would actually be less or the same for more services.

slingerkb

everything is the same. Same province, same town. I can't call my wife or her work place. Nothing has changed with phone numbers or locations.

Totally get it, @slingerkb 

Dealing with certain levels of service here can be frustrating, at the best of times.

Going back to a question i posed, are you AND the people you're calling locally, ALL currently receiving and sending the calls within the same Province?

Has anyone's physical calling/receiving location changed since the calling difficulties began?  

slingerkb

Thank you very much for your input. This is very frustrating and I don't think I can deal with a moderator who will put through a bunch of stuff that doesn't work.

jamoozle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Both my partner and I have encountered the same issue, arising yesterday. I've been back and forth with a mod, but to no avail.

Patiently hoping for a solution, but it's not just a one-off.

You know what, @slingerkb I agree, dealing with account-related issues which pop outa nowhere is EXTREMLY frustrating.

You know what's more frustrating?  Talking with a live 'tech expert' being paid by a company and having to repeat yourself countless times only to have them understand the issue.

Public Mobile is far from perfect - but it's users have a breadth of knowledge (sometimes first-hand) to deal with issues.

If you'd prefer to deal with a Public Mobile moderator (their customer service), here's how:

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb wrote:

You got it. No tech, Why should I have to deal with it. I'm not that techy and shouldn't have to deal with it. That is my issue with staying.

The support here is all online and we're just fellow customers trying to help. The actual customer service people are the so-called moderators. They can be reached clicking on the quote bubble in the lower right and muddling through the chatbot to get to a ticket submission screen where eventually you'll get private messages (don't reply to emails outside) from them.

But we can also walk you through figuring some things out.

slingerkb

You got it. No tech, Why should I have to deal with it. I'm not that techy and shouldn't have to deal with it. That is my issue with staying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : So you've gone all this time without a hitch (as far as you've reported and the date of you making a community account and the age of the provincial plans) but now with one problem with a low-budget hands-on self-serve kinda place...you're outta here. I see.

slingerkb

I think my best solution is to leave public mobile and go elsewhere because I should not have to deal with such problems myself. Somewhere where I can actually talk to a tech

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : Finally. 🙂 Is that what you believe you've always had? My theory is that there's a rising bug with the provincial plans. You can try manually adding a dollar from a pre-registered payment card. Or you can try the Lost/stolen function. Both are known to kind of reset the account. But there's a caveat with the Lost/stolen function.

But I suspect you'll need moderator assistance.

@slingerkb wrote:
  • This plan includes: -
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

Can you screen-shot this:

HALIMACS_0-1612881719543.png

Is it possible the recipient or the sender are not calling/receiving the call within their local calling region?

slingerkb
  • This plan includes: -
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb wrote:

Have unlimited local calling

So an older provincial plan?

slingerkb

Have unlimited local calling

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : again...what plan are you on?

slingerkb

tried that. Don't work. Tried with it, tried with it, but same results. I can receive but can't make an outgoing call

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Maybe try the following troubleshooter, @slingerkb 

1. Make sure airplane mode is off
  2. Power OFF your device, wait 1 minute, turn on and check for signal bars
  3. Check on account self-serve that your account status is Active
  4. While on self-serve, check that SIM card number under “Change Sim card” matches the SIM card number in your phone
  5. Make sure the device is not locked to a different carrier.
  6. Make sure you’re in a covered area and there are no cellular outages
  7. Change wifi calling preferences to Cellular Preferred or Cellular Only
  8. Set network mode to Auto
  9. Reset network settings
  10. Update device software to latest version
  11. Perform a manual network selection

slingerkb

Yes of course I have an active plan. when I call 611 it tells me when my plan will need to be paid and I am nowhere near that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slingerkb : Which plan are you on? Is the account Active in the self-serve? What happens when you dial 611?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have limited minutes and no minutes are showing then you have used them up.

Try dialing 1 infront the area code.

Also try putting your phone in airplane and turn off then reboot.

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@slingerkb wrote:

When trying to make a local call I get a message that this call cannot be completed. You don't have an active long distance plan. This just started yesterday. These are numbers I frequently have called and numbers in my contacts. I have always used them without a problem until now

@slingerkb hello try using a 1 in front of your number also try rebooting your phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.