cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t connect to 5G

Charisma
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 5G plan and I’m in a 5G area, but I can only connect to 4G+. I have the Samsung A35 international model. (A356E)

I also have 5G/LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) chosen in settings. 

anyone know if there’s anything I can do?

9 REPLIES 9

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Having a 5G plan has nothing to do with being able to access the 5G network. Even 3G and 4G plans can connect to the 5G network with a compatible phone. The 5G plan just gives you faster speed.

You phone may not be compatible with Public Mobile's 5G bands, or maybe the 5G coverage isn't great where you are. Either way you're still getting the benefits of 5G speed with the 5G plan. 

@Charisma wrote:

I just did a speed test. 163mbps DL 6.32 UL. Is that good?

That is a pretty good speed.  Just because the speed limit is 250 mbits/s, it does not mean every speed test yields this outcome.  There can be network loading that limits bandwidth.  Also, it does take a lot of hardware horsepower to do a 250 mbit/s download.  My pixel 4a 5G cannot come anywhere close to 250 mbits/s even with a 5G+ connection.

Charisma

Oh I didn’t realize this. I’ll keep an eye out when I’m out and about. Thanks. 🙂

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Charisma  Is that everywhere locally or only in your home?  I have 5G auto on my iPhone and while it can get 5G in the yard on a good day, it stays on LTE in the house.  When I'm out and about it connects to 5G and 5G+ or sometimes LTE.  5G is not as good at penetrating buildings.

@Charisma 

Yes, that is a good speed for 5G plan

People on 4G speed plan can only get up to 100Mbps.  You have a 5G speed plan and you can get upto 250Mbps even you connect to 4G network.  But 150+ is an average speed for people on 5G speed plans so your didn't miss much 

Charisma

I just did a speed test. 163mbps DL 6.32 UL. Is that good?

Charisma

Yes I have it selected. I’m wondering if it’s because it’s an international model? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Charisma 

is 5G an option in the Network mode??

make sure your turn off Data Saver and Power Saver. They would both turn off 5G to save power and data usage 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Charisma 

Sometimes it won't say 5G but you will get 5G speeds. Do a speed test. If you get 5G speeds, you're just fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.