cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slooowww Mobile Data during Power Outage.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is more of an observation.

We live in a weak signal area to begin with. Three of us have various PM plans, including both 4G and 5G plans. Normally, we get a speed test of about 3.0 - 8.0 mpbs on PM mobile data, slow but still usable. Normally, we use our high-speed Telus Wi-Fi at home, about 200 mbps. 

Because of high winds today in the Lower Mainland, BC, our local power line was down for about an hour and we had no wi-fi.  We tried to use our PM mobile data during the power outage. Speed test was less than 1.0 mbps! Sometimes dropping to zero. The mobile data was still available but super slow. Totally unusable during the outage.

When the power came back on, I ran another speed test and mobile data speed was back up to about 6.0 mbps, again.

I speculate that when the power and Wi-Fi was down, everybody in the neighborhood went on their phones and started using their mobile data. Congestion overwhelmed the system and speeds dropped dramatically which was particularly noticeable in my weak signal area. When the power resumed, people went back to using their Wi-Fi and the mobile data speeds went back to normal.

There are clearly limits to our network. We cannot expect high data speeds or perfect calls all of the time, especially during periods of high congestion. Telus needs to update infrastructure to provide better coverage and extra capacity in many areas.

3 REPLIES 3

funpig1

Update:  Telus Tech support telephoned me with regards to a problem which I have been having. While I was on the line with them, I asked them about this situation and they confirmed that when a lot of people switched from Wi-Fi onto the mobile data network, it creates a tremendous amount of congestion and mobile speeds will slow severely. Telus said that during covid, people were not working or going out. They were sitting around playing with their phones which caused a lot of congestion and very slow mobile data speeds.

funpig1

The downed power line only affected my neighborhood area, a common occurrence. The rest of the town was unaffected.

Our cell tower is located more than 2.2 km away by the highway and is never affected by high winds. The other areas surrounding the cell tower still had power.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@funpig1   My understanding is that when the power goes out unless the tower has a generator or some kind of back-up the tower is compromised.  In my case the Rogers tower stops working but my Public Mobile phone keeps functioning.  Different towers and different back-up power supplies presumably.  

Need Help? Let's chat.