cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Data not working

mendedurchin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm currently in the US and having issues with my roaming data plan. The only network available where we currently are is Verizon and my phone will not connect to this network. It says "Verizon (Forbidden)" in the network select settings.

The odd thing is that my wife has the same Public Mobile roaming plan and same android device and she can connect to the Verizon network without issue.

I've tried restarting my phone, disabling VPN, toggling between automatic and manual network selection and none of it works.

13 REPLIES 13

Just wondering.... for science of course....  if you both swap SIM cards...  does that give you data and her not?

mendedurchin

@softech 

Thanks for the insight!

@mendedurchin  at least your wife confirmed Verizon network does work for roaming .  thanks

mendedurchin

@softech 

Yes, I've been able to access roaming data elsewhere in the US without issue.

If it's just a one-off or timing issue while access to Verizon is rolled out,  I'll just continue to hotspot from her phone for the few days we're here. We're traveling to the US more often, so just wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue with my sim or phone, as it seemed weird that they would be different. 

@mendedurchin 

T-Mobile has no coverage there

AT&T has 5G coverage.  you can try turning on and off 5G and see if you can sees AT&T

Not sure why your wife can use Verizon but not your Pixel 7

So, you were able to connect when you are in other part of US earlier?

mendedurchin

@softech 

We're in Yellowstone National park, where Verizon seems to be the only option. I have a Pixel 7.

@mendedurchin 

what phone do you have and what phone your wife has?

and where in US you are at?

mendedurchin

@softech Yes - My wife is able to use Verizon without issue on her public mobile plan (I'm hotspotting from her phone to write this lol).

If Verizon is a new partner, does that mean it's just a phased rollout and I need to just wait until it gets to me?

@mendedurchin wrote:

Thanks for the reply. T-Mobile doesn't show as an option in the network select screen. It's only Verizon that's available where we currently are, but is showing forbidden for some reason?

@mendedurchin 

where in US you are at now? 

Reboot phone, then change the network mode to 4G/LTE and check network connection again

And as said, Verizon is not reliable at the moment, you really need to look for T-Mobile or AT&T

Thanks for the reply. T-Mobile doesn't show as an option in the network select screen. It's only Verizon that's available where we currently are, but is showing forbidden for some reason?

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mendedurchin, if you and your wife have physical SIM cards try turning off both phones and swapping your SIM cards to see if the issue is isolated to your phone only 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mendedurchin your wife can use the data on Verizon without problem?  Verizon is a new roaming partner but so far no one confirmed that it works.  Your wife could be the first confirmed working case 🙂

for your, you will have to use other networks instead

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @mendedurchin 

Go into your network settings, then turn off automatic. Find T-Mobile and pick it. Then reboot. Make sure data roaming is turned on. 

If you're saying none of that works, then turn off automatic and reboot. It should find T-Mobile or AT&T.

What phone do you have? Is your data roaming toggled on?

EDIT: Do you have one of the Canada/US plans or did you purchase a US addon? If you purchased an US add on, if you're on WiFi, connect to the app and check out your recent purchases and see if its' there. Also, confirm you picked the one that has data.

Need Help? Let's chat.