cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Receive Calls

Juliepl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I joined Public Mobile last night (12 hours ago), and activated a new account (brought my old # with me). Followed all the directions and I can only make outgoing calls. When someone calls me it goes straight to voicemail. I tried restarting my iPhone this morning and still an issue.

19 REPLIES 19

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Juliepl  You hate your old one too much and too eager to move on 😁 . I remember the PM email talked about the SMS reply . Anyway, hope you like here.  

Juliepl

That's it! Last night when I had responded to the SMS, I had already switched SIM cards. I assumed it would work (but it didn't). Since the SMS link only lasts 90 minutes after request, I had to call the Public porting # (provided in my PM) and they were able to send me a new SMS (with my old carrier sim installed). I then typed YES in response to that SMS, and then put in my new Public Sim card. I then waited 30 minutes and restarted the phone. Everything now works. Thanks everyone for your help!

vio1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a similar issue. Make sure you leave your original sim card in until you've responded to the SMS asking you about porting your #. Once you get that message and respond with YES, then you are safe to put in your public sim card and after about 30 minutes, restart your phone and it should all work.

@Juliepl wrote:

I will try and report back

@Juliepl 

If issues porting or transferring a number to Public Mobile, and it has been over the allotted time it usually takes to complete, submit a ticket here for help: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&duid=1ml7MK2dvkmM37lFcEM...

See helpful info. here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juliepl : There's a 90 minute window to reply. Call the number that was sent to you and they can re-trigger the request. Put the old SIM in and confirm within 90 minutes of getting the text. 

Juliepl

I will try and report back

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juliepl : The proper order is to leave the old SIM in to confirm. Then put in the new SIM and wait for it to finish.

Edit: Some have even left the old SIM in until Public Mobile sends an all done text. Then you put in the new SIM.

Juliepl

no I didn't. I already put in the new SIM card when I said yes. Should I pop in the old one and respond?

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Juliepl 

do you receive and respond to the SMS asking to confirm if you would like to Transfer your number, your reply should be: YES

if so try manually selecting network "3G only" or WCDMA only,
and Rebooting device..

@Yummy wrote:

It usually takes a little bit longer than 12 hours to get FULL service when porting number.

SMS starts working first, then calls.

I would suggest to be a little bit patient 🙂

If you do not have full service within 48 hours after porting, come back here and somebody will provide you with porting assistance phone number (you will receive it in personal mail, do not publish that number here).

@0PX9O4  is correct.  Unless something has gone wrong, it should never take 12 hours coming from another wireless carrier. The previously provided Pubilc Mobile link says 2 hours, while this one at CWTA | Wireless Number Portability says 2.5 hours. Porting from Freedom Mobile to Public Mobile is usually complete after 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Juliepl : You said you followed all the directions. Did you leave your old SIM in and reply to the transfer confirmation text?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Juliepl , 

There is a team you can call to confirm the porting status.  I will private message you the number .  Please check Community inbox on the top right

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Juliepl 

Also check to see if the Do Not Disturb is disabled. Go to Setting>Focus>disable DND.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Juliepl 

It is absolutely not normal for porting to take over 12 hours. According to this article it should take no more than 2 hours: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/number-transfer-port-troubleshooting

I would suggest you get in touch with a PM agent according to the instructions at this article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If the ticketing (chatbot) system is problematic or a hassle, you do have the second option (private message) as well.

All the best!

@Juliepl wrote:

yes I ported it. is over 12 hours normal for it to be ported?

SMS and internet work. I do not have any blocked #s. My husband is trying to call me and it goes straight to voicemail

It usually takes a little bit longer than 12 hours to get FULL service when porting number.

SMS starts working first, then calls.

I would suggest to be a little bit patient 🙂

If you do not have full service within 48 hours after porting, come back here and somebody will provide you with porting assistance phone number (you will receive it in personal mail, do not publish that number here).

Juliepl

yes I ported it. is over 12 hours normal for it to be ported?

SMS and internet work. I do not have any blocked #s. My husband is trying to call me and it goes straight to voicemail

Juliepl

I brought with me my old cell # from freedom mobile. Texting works (receiving and sending)

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you port in your number? It takes some time for porting to complete 100%.

Does SMS works? Internet?

Do you block any of those incoming calls?

Do you have settings on to accept calls from your contact list only but calls are coming from other numbers?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Juliepl 

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  More information would be helpful. 

Did you port your number over from another mobile company?  or landline porting?  Or did you activate with new phone number that you chose from Public mobile?  Does data work?  what about texting?

Need Help? Let's chat.