cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Call a Valid Phone Number on Lucky Mobile network

WB2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son activated a new phone on the Lucky Mobile network today. Everyone seems to be able to call him except for my wife and I. We are both on Public Mobile plans. When we dial the number we immediately hear a message from Public Mobile stating that the "call cannot be completed as dialed. Check the number and try again." We can call the number without any issues from our home phone. His uncle can call him on his Freedom Mobile phone. Others friends can call him. Lucky Mobile has said that everything looks good on their end. Why can't we call him from our Public Mobile phones? His number begins with 343-598-xxxx if that matters. It is a new number. Not ported.

Update: Just had someone in a different province who is also on Public Mobile try to call. They encountered the same message and could not call.

19 REPLIES 19

WB2

Thanks for your help.

HI @WB2   i guess we don't need to find out, as long as it is all working fine now

Glad you get it sorted out the quick way

WB2

Rather than continue the finger pointing back and forth between Public and Lucky, my son just called Lucky Mobile again, explained the situation, and simply requested a new phone number. Within 5 minutes his phone was back up and running with a new number. The new number works fine when I call it. I suppose we will never know if the problem was a bad phone number setup on Lucky Mobile's end, or whether Public Mobile couldn't handle/find the phone number. Seems odd that the only people we know who had an issue with it were on Public Mobile.

WB2

Here is the response from the CS person. I don't agree with it. In our experience so far, only people on Public Mobile are unable to call the number. So it is not as simple as saying it must be Lucky Mobile's fault because there are multiple people who can't call the number. 100 percent of the people who can't call the number are on Public Mobile. Everyone else who has tried has no problem. This is the response:

"I’ll be completely honest with you and if other people already tried to call your son and get an error message, it means that it must be an issue with your son’s phone number. If it were happening only to you, we could escalate it.

I would highly recommend calling Lucky mobile and have them escalate the situation since it’s happening with different numbers. It must be an issue with the Lucky Mobile system."

UPDATE:  Rather than continue the finger pointing back and forth between Public and Lucky, my son just called Lucky Mobile, explained the situation, and simply requested a new phone number. Within 5 minutes his phone was back up and running with a new number. The new number works fine when I call it. I suppose we will never know if the problem was a bad phone number setup on Lucky Mobile's end, or whether Public Mobile couldn't handle/find the phone number. Seems odd that the only people we know who had an issue with it were on Public Mobile.

HI @WB2   Let us know what CS agent  says. But remember to push for escalation, support sometimes just look briefly and don't check carefully.  

and as said, friend on friend on Koodo and Telus to test.  They use the same system, that can really confirm if it is a problem on Telus/PM side

WB2

Thanks.  I just submitted a ticket as you suggested. We spent a lot of time working with agents at Lucky today on the phone. They say everything is working and basically gave up. Told us it's not on their side. 

WB2

Several years ago. My plan is no longer offered. It's the old 5GB per month plan. In Ontario.

HI @WB2   it could be a problem on Lucky side or here

here, submit ticket with CS agent:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Also, have your son to submit one on Lucky side

If you can think of anyone on Koodo or Telus, ask them to try calling your son

WB2

No one immediately comes to mind. I Just had someone in a different province who is also on Public Mobile try to call. They encountered the same message and could not call.

sfy

@WB2  When did you join public mobile? Are you on an old provincial calling plan?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know anyone who uses Telus or Koodo who could call him?  Could help gauge how pervasive the problem is.

WB2

Checked for blocked numbers. None.

WB2

Yes. Same house.

POM-POM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do you live in the same country as your son? Or if it’s considered long distance begin dialing with a 1 xxx xxx xxxx

WB2

He hasn't had a chance to block us yet.  Just set up the phone together.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@WB2 

tell sonny boy to make sure he hasn't blocked you guys !!

WB2

Thanks.  We tried putting 1 in front. It is a new number.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @WB2   Maybe the son blocks the parents? LoL

Try to put a 1 in front of the 10 digits number

Also, did he get a new number from Lucky? or ported the number into Lucky from another carrier?  if porting, then it could take 24 hours for some carriers to reach him on his new carrier

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@WB2  Try 1 I front of the contact 

Need Help? Let's chat.