cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I? Can’t I? If I can’t, why not??

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Why can we not buy a SIM card replacement using our account balance? Well, really I don’t want to hear the “why not” theories. Would it make sense to have that option to buy that way? Or for a phone as well?

13 REPLIES 13

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@CountyDownIeUk   PM does not want to allow this. It is not the only element that PM can do but won't; or, I guess more correctly, Telus forbids.

In the case of SIM cards and phones, it's clearly different companies as both may be purchased with PayPal but PM service cannot be.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Yes, I hear what you are saying. But I worked for a major retailer and we had what was called a QR  (Quick Response) program where we did not stock the inventory. We had numerous sources with different processing times. But who took the payments and handled the customer service....we did. A customer could buy 5 appliances and 3 came from different sources and 2 came from our inventory or all 5 items could be all from different sources. All transparent to the customer. So this process could easily be applied to PM. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

The CPO phones department is entirely separate from the customer support department. When you contact customer support about a phone or Sim card purchase all they do is open a ticket for you with the CPO phones department. They even have a completely different customer response time (it's longer).

If public mobile wants to promote the points program as better then they should offer the ability to redeem points towards phones.....that might actually get a few more customers to migrate over from the $$ rewards program.....willingly and with full disclosure.

But hey they can enter the lucky draw to win a brand new iPhone 13 for 1 point but it costs 2 points to enter to win a $250 Amazon gift card or 2 points for a $300 ultimate dining gift card or another 2 points for a 55" samsung 4K TV? Even the lucky draws don't make sense to me?

HI @CountyDownIeUk   I think because rewards go into Available funds and they don't want us to use rewards to "claim" physical product.  Like service is "sort of " free.  But any tangible product has a cost, a higher cost. They try to put the line there

Yes, with the current 2 systems, it is very confusing, all the can link up is ask us the use the same email address

@hTideGnow 

I hear you but if you buy a phone you get a SIM too...correct. And likely the order is split and 1 goes to Telus or Mobil Klinik and 1 to the third party SIM Supplier/Shipper. But once again who do you contact if you have issues with either? A CSA. There has to be an easy way to add to the "add on" list to buy a SIM and have it shipped to the address on your profile.( <==key issue to be correct in your profile) It could be that the order could still be "pushed" to the third party SIM Supplier/Shipper. 

Edit...I know....a lot of us can't put our city in our profile....including me. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @CountyDownIeUk   they are two different systems.  

I guess PM tries to separate them so we cannot use the credit for sim and CPO purchase 

Thanks @Lieux  I realize for PM it is a "pie in the sky" request but is logical, I think. If PM and other retailers offering rewards can dilute their Rewards plans then I think we should have options to dilute our balance. <= Bad analogy but, just saying. I am very happy here, to a point, but my balance is only going to grow and don't need any more add ons, so would be nice. And would benefit PM. 

@Spuggetabouti1 wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 
With the way technology is heading, SIM cards will be a relic of the past soon enough. eSIMs are becoming more popular in phones, however, until that becomes the standard I think the option of a purchase-able SIM would be well received  

Yes, good point. I just wonder, though, with "some" customers on PM being attracted to the  economical pricing that they might not have up to date phones. And I am sure there are some, as it seems, that a mobile phone is a true necessity for any one over 5 years old. 😀 So I would think the physical SIM would remain here longer?? 

So the eSim.....do you still not need to "buy" it from the carrier?

Spuggetabouti1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CountyDownIeUk 
With the way technology is heading, SIM cards will be a relic of the past soon enough. eSIMs are becoming more popular in phones, however, until that becomes the standard I think the option of a purchase-able SIM would be well received  

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

Why can we not buy a SIM card replacement using our account balance? Well, really I don’t want to hear the “why not” theories. Would it make sense to have that option to buy that way? Or for a phone as well?

I wondered that also! I think that would be a great/sensible option to be added!

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@CountyDownIeUk  We talked about this option with staff of Public Mobile….not now. Perhaps one day.😁

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

That’s a theory. Who do you contact of your SIM or phone doesn’t arrive or needs warranty assistance? 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I guess it is two different 'companies': one is mobile service another is retail (phones, SIM). And they do not talk to each other so you cannot use your PM account balance to purchase physical objects.

Need Help? Let's chat.