cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls go directly to voicemail when I call Public Mobile users

Sam21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,
I am in London, ON, Canada. When I called my parents, who are Public Mobile users, the call went straight to their voicemails. The same thing happened to them when they called me.

However, when we call other phone numbers, such as Walmart or people who use another phone service (519)-..., I was able to call them normally. Plus, when I called my brother, who lives in Ottawa and he is a Public Mobile user, I successfully call him without being directed to voicemail right away. 

My parents' phones and my phone did not turn on "Do not Disturb" mode, and I have also tried to shut down my phone and turn it on again but nothing works.

Can anyone help me, please? Is there something wrong with Public mobile in London?

22 REPLIES 22

HABS2933
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes we ported our numbers from rogers. But as I said, my father's been with public mobile for years and he was having the same issue. I have been chatting with a customer support agent on the form as well and he acknowledges there is some problem with the LTE network in this area. They're working on the problem.

Friends in other area with public do not seem to be having any issues. And everything other than incoming calls is working.

@HABS2933 wrote:

My husband and I switched our phones to public mobile yesterday and have had this issue since signing up with them. We are also located in London.

My father has been with public for quite some time now in his phone is also doing the same thing.

Please tell me this is an isolated incident and is not going to continue to occur. I hate to think we made a big mistake switching our phone service.

@HABS2933   outgoing calls work?  did you request phone number porting from old provider?  If porting is not completed , there would be issue with incoming calls and text.  

But true, seems like there is service issue in the London area as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@t_p : Kinda not cool to say so. We win some, we lose some. At least it wasn't a self-solution.

@HABS2933 wrote:

Please tell me this is an isolated incident and is not going to continue to occur. I hate to think we made a big mistake switching our phone service.

You did NOT make mistake switching to PM!

It has to be local issue as everything is working fine in GTA area.

What will be nice if PM could notify kindly customers in affected areas regarding (potential) issues. Either by SMS (if there is some service at all) or posting note to Web Site.

That will only enhance their public image and increase customers' confidence in their service.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Sam21 wrote:

@Dunkman It worked!!

Okay, for anyone who has the issue, this is how I solved it (I use iPhone btw):

"After removing my SIM, rebooting my phones, nothing works. Then I turned off my wifi, manually force my phone to use 3G instead of LTE: I go to Settings -> Turn Off Wifi -> Go to Cellular and turn it ON -> Go to Cellular Data options-> Go to  Voice & Data -> Select 3G. Then I call my parents' phones, remaining the Wifi turning off, and it worked and came back to normal afterwards."

I suggested you try 3G from my first post! 🙄

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HRM , @HABS2933 : It seems to be a roving problem of changes in the infrastructure going on. iirc the carriers are swapping out Huawei gear for "other" reasons. In that process things are in flux. Stick with it. At least you have services on "3G". Data should even be faster albeit with some latency (that you might not notice anyway).

HABS2933

My husband and I switched our phones to public mobile yesterday and have had this issue since signing up with them. We are also located in London.

My father has been with public for quite some time now in his phone is also doing the same thing.

HRM

I have sent a message to customer service to see if they can investigate the situation further. Switching to 3 G works, but why is this happening??

Sam21

@Dunkman It worked!!

Okay, for anyone who has the issue, this is how I solved it (I use iPhone btw):

"After removing my SIM, rebooting my phones, nothing works. Then I turned off my wifi, manually force my phone to use 3G instead of LTE: I go to Settings -> Turn Off Wifi -> Go to Cellular and turn it ON -> Go to Cellular Data options-> Go to  Voice & Data -> Select 3G. Then I call my parents' phones, remaining the Wifi turning off, and it worked and came back to normal afterwards."

HRM

Changing cellular data setting to 3G worked for both of us, thank you!!

This seems to be happening A LOT in that area.  This is probably the 4th thread I have read like this.  There has to be some issue in that specific region.  @J_PM  can you take this back to your team and see why there seem to be so many users in the London Area whose phone calls are going directly to VM.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Sam21

@softech Hi, I have tried that but it doesn't work as well. Thanks for the suggestions

@Sam21 @HRM 

Similar issues with customers in London ON this week.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/london-ontario-area-service-proble...

Manually selecting 3G network helped in each of the cases.  Might manually select 3G and then reboot phone.  

HRM

I wish I had an answer for this … my husband and I live in London, are both on public Mobile network, and our phones have not been ringing for the last couple of days. I have tried every possible check with my phone, done every possible fix, and nothing has helped.

@Sam21 wrote:

Hi,

I tried to switch my service from LTE to 3G. My parents' phone and mine are now right next to each other on our Ground floor.

I can call my brother, who lives in Ottawa and he is a Public Mobile user, but he couldn't call me, and I live in London ON.

@Sam21   both you and your parent's phone can call out without issue?

try to re-seat your SIM as well (power off phone, take out sim for a minute better putting it back and power up)

Sam21

Hi @Dunkman 

I tried to switch my service from LTE to 3G. My parents' phone and mine are now right next to each other on our Ground floor.

I can call my brother, who lives in Ottawa and he is a Public Mobile user, but he couldn't call me, and I live in London ON.

Sam21

Hi,

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

would your parents be able to call other businesses or people in the area or outside?

msged my friends around that area, nothing reported. 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Second time within a couple weeks we've heard reports of troubles in London - wonder what's happening down there.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Sam21 

A few users have had similar issues recently. Not sure about their physical location.  Might be temporary reception issue.  

You tried rebooting your phone.

Other troubleshooting advice:

Network reset of phone

Toggle airplane mode on and off.

Make sure that your phone did not accidently block your parents numbers and vice versa

Try to manually select 3G network for both you and your parents phone instead of LTE/auto connection.  In some areas, the LTE connection is weaker or might be an issue with the LTE towers in your area.  

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Sam21 

Try putting your phone on 3G network.

The issue could be linked to infrastructure works by telcos in that area.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Could be some temporary outage in London, ON? Some service maintenance?

You can always check it here but not all intermittent outages are published:

https://www.telus.com/en/nt/outages?linktype=ge-footer

Need Help? Let's chat.