cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls fail when dialing 10-digit local numbers without a “1” prefix

Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple days ago I stopped being able to make or receive any phone calls using my iPhone 11 with Public Mobile. What eventually fixed the problem was turning on and then off airplane mode. But now I have a new problem. Calls fail when I dial 10-digit local numbers, but they work when I prefix them with a “1”. That never used to be the case and my family members with similar Public Mobile accounts and other models of iPhone don’t have the same problem. They can dial 10-digit phone numbers just fine. How can I fix this problem short of having to go and edit all my contacts' phone numbers by adding "1" to them?

15 REPLIES 15

Occam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

oops - I'm running a Pixel 7 with Android 13

Occam

Hey, thanks for the help. I tried your resolution.  It doesn't work.  I should note, however, that I also get that random call failed issue that others have reported.  I have a case open with Google for the phone - collecting bug reports as we speak.  

I'm running a

• open settings
  • phone
  • enable dial assist. if it's already enabled try toggling the option off/on and then reset your network settings and restart

test

@Occam 

what version of pixel? did you upgrade to 13? my 6 pro with assisted dialing works fine. wow... deja vu

Occam

I've had both of your problems for about the same amount of time.  There is no good solution as far as I've been able to determine.   I am running a Pixel with Android 13, so it's not your iPhone. 

The issue with the phone function disabling randomly is that it's not apparent until you want to make a call or someone else notices.  As far as I'm concerned, it's unacceptable, and the carrier needs to fix it. 

The country code issue is annoying, but can be fixed with the work-around.  However, using assisted dialing doesn't fix the problem either, as some commenters suggested.  I've been in touch with Google, tried a hundred things, including factory reset.  Still the same issue.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip. I turned off WiFi and my phone displayed LTE. I made a call and it still said LTE. In comparison, I did the same with my wife's iPhone with PM. Turning off her WiFi displayed LTE, but when I made a call using her phone, it showed 3G. So that would seem to suggest I've been switched to VoLTE, but she hasn't (yet). Therefore VoLTE is likely the source of my problems. If so, I hope PM provides a fix.

@Anonymous 

Interesting situation.  I have a feeling that you are on VoLTE or are being affected by the roll out. 

To tell if you have been switch to VoLTE.  Turn off Wifi. Call a number.  See whether you see LTE or 3G as signal on your display.  For myself, I also noticed the phone basically rings right away when you dial.  No delay with VoLTE.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I can't be certain if this is a PM or iPhone setting problem and whether or not it's a coincidence that the problem surfaced at the same time I temporarily lost the ability to make/receive calls, which I could only fix by toggling Airplane Mode (restarting the phone did nothing).

My phone settings have not changed and they match the settings of my family members who don't need to add the extra 1. My iPhone has no "Dial Assist" option. I tried looking for that option in the Phone app settings as part of my earlier troubleshooting and was surprised not to find it.

Every number now requires the 1, including calls to my landline while at home, which is as local as I can get. Even if I try calling my own cell number, I get an instant "Call Failed" message unless I add the 1, in which case I get a "User Busy" message.

Adding 1 to all my contacts' phone numbers is a (painful) workaround, but not a solution I'm looking for. I don't understand the sudden inability to make calls using just 10-digits like I've done for years.

Another oddity is that since this problem occurred, incoming and outgoing calls are no longer being listed in the "Usage History" of my PM account.

Might these issues be related to PM's gradual roll out of VoLTE? If so, how can I tell whether PM switched me to VoLTE?

I just checked, and you are correct. 

So is this a PM thing? In decades of mobile and land line phone use I've never had to enter 1 for local calls. Not even when 10 digit dialing was introduced 20+ years ago in BC. 

@DennyCrane 

because your pixel has it automatically enabled in the phone app

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

make sure your iphone has "dial assist" enabled. this will add the correct prefix or (+1) to every number you call. for Android it's called "assisted dialing"

@DennyCrane wrote:

Adding a 1 is a workaround I guess, but that is not a solution to the root of this problem. Why would this happen for a local call? I've personally never experienced this, and I certainly wouldn't be too thrilled about editing hundreds of contacts to add a 1.

When I made a local call I didn't need add area code years ago, but I couldn't remember for what reason local government said need add area code before phone number. And now need "1" .

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Adding a 1 is a workaround I guess, but that is not a solution to the root of this problem. Why would this happen for a local call? I've personally never experienced this, and I certainly wouldn't be too thrilled about editing hundreds of contacts to add a 1.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

A couple days ago I stopped being able to make or receive any phone calls using my iPhone 11 with Public Mobile. What eventually fixed the problem was turning on and then off airplane mode. But now I have a new problem. Calls fail when I dial 10-digit local numbers, but they work when I prefix them with a “1”. That never used to be the case and my family members with similar Public Mobile accounts and other models of iPhone don’t have the same problem. They can dial 10-digit phone numbers just fine. How can I fix this problem short of having to go and edit all my contacts' phone numbers by adding "1" to them?

All my contacts' phone number have to add a "1", since I joined PM 4 years ago, otherwise will received the message "You are making a long distance call". 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

While you haven't run into this issue previously it's common to recieve at least a "long distance charges may apply" message and/or the "you do not have minutes included in your plan" message when not using (1) in front of a phone number. That latter being more onerous as the call will not complete whereas the former will complete once the message is finished.

I don't think there is any way around it as it's accepted practice to dial (1) for all but truly local phone numbers. Just edit your 10 or 15 most frequently used phone numbers and then update the rest of your contacts as they or you make a call or text. We all had to get with the program when we switched from dialing 7 digit phone numbers to 10 digit numbers.....adding (1) isn't all that bad?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous  Other than turning on and off air plane mode like you have already done once before or rebooting the phone … just add the 1 as you are aware for all contacts I have done this for years now 1 in front of all contacts 

Need Help? Let's chat.