cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANADA -USA plan

kinghun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

recently subscibed to Can-US plan. data not working in US. Do i have to turn on roaming on my phone to work?

10 REPLIES 10

Think of the welcome text as an indication that you have connected to a US tower. Disregard it nonetheless. Yes for roaming data you need the roaming data toggle turned on. Not technically needed for talk and text but just leave it on all the time as you have the Canada/US plan so it doesn't matter. Even for non-plan holders it can be left on as there are no extra charges here.

@kinghun What type of phone are you using? If you go into your phones network settings you can usually see. Also on my Pixel I can pull down the top menu and it shows.

kinghun

it didnt show who i was connected to . i search to look for a provider, couldnt find any. last time a was over i was able to switch to at&t from verison. no provider showed on the screen. i use to get the roaming message fron Virgin when i was with them . if i  had  a working CAN/US plan i shouldnt be getting a roaming message, right

@kinghun It sometimes takes my phone upwards of 10 minutes to connect. You can probably speed that up by rebooting your phone. That said, if you got that text you did successfully connect. What wasn't working?

Make sure your Preferred Network is set to 4G/LTE, not 5G. Also make sure your Data Roaming is on (on your phone).

kinghun

was just in the states on a gas run . i was sent a roaming message. phone wouldnt pick up any US provider. what am i doing wrong?

@kinghun 

if you are right at the border, automatic might not work well.  Manual selection is safer. While most phones do not need a reboot after network change, but some do.  So, it is perfectly normal

Enjoy your trip

kinghun

Hi . Did what you said and everything seems to be working. But  it didn't automatically switch when I crossed the border. Went to Version first . Then switch to AT&T. Still had to restart t phone before everything was working. Is this normal? 

Moved:

no new information was provided and the question was already answered 3 hours earlier

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yes, you're still roaming and as such you need to enable data roaming. Your plan includes it, but it's still roaming.

Also it's best to set your Preferred Network to 4G/LTE while in the US, as AT&T 5G isn't working at the moment.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @kinghun 

yes, you still need to turn on Roaming to use the service in US

Also, try to manually connect to T-Mobile or AT&T, and remember to use 4G network instead

Need Help? Let's chat.