Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs/quirks

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

UPDATED: Sept/22

Here's my current list. Do let me know of errors or additions you think are needed. If in doubt about something you would like done, always ask the CSAs: nothing ventured, nothing gained. Désolé, ce message uniquement en anglais.

BUG/QUIRK

SOLUTION: If it’s new to you click this: private messaging to see how to send a private message to the CSA team.

Tickets prioritized over private messages

To get a ticket click https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

and enter your question into SIMon.  Follow/invent prompts until you get to the Contact Us button, click it and a Submit Ticket button should appear.

If SIMon fails, or is too frustrating, submit a private message directly to the CSAs by clicking this link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

Credit card not accepted

Do not include street directions such as SW, since the system does not accept them. When updating a card, delete it first, then re-enter as new. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Problems-with-credit-card-sys...

Some $10 and $15 plan accounts don't show the Loyalty Reward line 

Perform a future dated plan change to the $25 plan. As soon as that is done,  the missing loyalty reward line will appear and any loyalty reward that was missing from the account will instantly be added. After cancelling the plan change the Reward remains.

Account message: “Suspended” AND phone is working

Ignore these messages.

Phone stops working even though payment was made

Submit a ticket to the CSA team.

Data add-on being used before base plan data

Submit a ticket to the CSA team.

During online activation: invalid SIM error OR

no drop-down menu to select phone number

a) If on second attempt submit a ticket to the CSA team.

b) If on 1st attempt try Chrome Incognito, or Safari Private Window, mode.

What is my payment date?

Early in the morning the day noted in self-serve as "Payment Due Before".

Can’t call within my province

Add +1 to the number but if that fails send a private message to the CSA team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation. 

Early (pre 5) iPhone won’t update APN

Early iPhone APN settings cannot be updated manually. You will need to connect to wifi, access http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesettings/ with Safari, then follow the directions there.

Can’t login into my account and account reset email failed

Fixed as of Sept/18 but if unsuccessful submit a ticket to the CSA team. Be alert for their response as account resets are time sensitive.

Renew my current plan early

Add a payment so that Available Funds equal your plan cost then submit a ticket to the CSA team. This assumes you have checked that a different plan is not better for you.

Credit card error when opening several accounts

PM prevents using the same card more than twice in the same day. Wait a few days, or use a different card. You can change it later.

Moving from Koodo prepaid, or PC Mobile postpaid

Better to not use the same email address for Public Mobile. Also, you MUST select a new number at activation. Once fully active create a Community account and submit a ticket to the CSAs.

Moving from Speakout 711 and PetroCanada

Provide phone number as the account number, phone IMEI and account owner. See: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-number-from-Speakout-Apply-al...

and https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/porting-from-Petro-Mobility/m-p/47625...

Purchasing more expensive plan with Autopay

As reported by dusttodust, upgrading your plan automatically at next renewal will ofetn fail EVEN if you have autopay activatived. The safest approach is to make a manual payment so that Available Funds equal the new plan cost; but leave autopay activated for the credit/points.

MMS APN

Set APN type to “default,mms,supl,DUN”  DUN needed to tether with some phones. Try "dun" as well if DUN fails.

Activating Add-ons

First make a payment so that Available Funds equal the add-on cost then go back to main account page and buy the add-on. Activation REQUIRES these two stages. See this post for better detail: How To Add Add-on

Only 1 phone line per account

Yes, only 1 SIM per account but a way to simplify things here: workaround

Error when trying to port-in

Click the "I am authorized box ..." box at the bottom first then enter the number

Renewing US Roaming add-ons

These can only be renewed the day AFTER they expire even if completely used prior to that date.

Change plan when account is suspended

click Change Plan, add funds when requested,  and click Activate Immediately. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Systems-Update-Ability-to-change-plan-w...

Where to buy vouchers

Voucher locations: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Vouchers on-line: recharge.com , https://www.ding.com  ,

2 deactivation messages for my account, one 90 days and the other 30 days?90 days is correct
Voicemail switched to French when I want English (or vice versa)

Call into your voice message then press 4

Wait and Press 4 again

Wait and Press 5

Then select 1 for English menus

Transfer number to a different PM account

NOT ALLOWED

Plan won't reactivate even though payment made

If Available Funds at least equal the plan cost, click Change Plan and "buy" your plan with immediate activation. Logout and reboot your phone. ONLY WORKS for current plans not grandfathered ones which require messaging the CSAs.

Phone stops working even though payment was made. Account may show $0 owing.

a) Manually load $1 into your account (or a few dollars) and/or

b) Turn on Lost/Stolen SIM to suspend service, logout, reactivate, reboot phone.

These sometimes trigger the an account reset and have been tried by a several people who confirmed that their account re-activated. If that fails you must submit a ticket to the CSA team.

Can the email address from the deactivated account be used for a new account?

Yes; but cannot be used for an active account.

Submitted ticket notification

Look in your private messages SENT folder!

Disable voicemail

PM cannot disable voicemail completely. Here is a workaround: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

Disappearing Posts

It's a mystery. Check here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected

Sometimes editing allows the "offending" item to be posted.

2 SIMs/numbers on 1 account

NOT ALLOWED, but occasionally a second SIM is activated with the same email address. this prevents access to the self-serve accounts. Can only be repaired by opening a Trouble Ticket.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
46 REPLIES 46

@darlicious   I was looking for the "nice to have" list and I was checking my "drawer" and found this.

🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

You didnt just find this thread did you? I used this as my cheat sheet when I first joined the community when @Luddite was so kind as to send it to me.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Luddite   you still updating this?  Good work!!

@tlpeters 

If the $10 in your balance covers your plan amount and reactivate doesn't renew your service go to the plans or usage page. Click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Your account should be active. Log out and reboot.

@tlpeters wrote:

my phone stopped working and when I login it says my plan is expired, so I updated the cc info and it says I have a current balance of $10 but my phone is still not working.

@tlpeters

Which plan are you on?  $10 plan?  If $10 plan, there should be a re-activate plan icon in your self service account.  Other option is to manually load $1 into your account and that should re-start the activation process.

If you are on a higher dollar plan, you will need to further add funds equivalent to your month plan fee.  

tlpeters
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

my phone stopped working and when I login it says my plan is expired, so I updated the cc info and it says I have a current balance of $10 but my phone is still not working.

@Anonymous 

Thanks for bringing up the change plans when suspended.......

1. Choose your new plan.
  2. Click change now.
  3. Click the prompt to add funds.
  4. Make a payment to cover the new plan amount.
  5. Submit payment to reactivate your account.

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

Thanks for the update. Has anyone ever been able to edit a post in one's unmoderated posts? And then actually post it? I could only ever post a screenshot....thankfully I believe I have been fully vaccinated against the *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug!

no, editing on an already unmoderated post never work for me.  I have to use screenshot

What make me frustrated on the weekend was that TWICE i was posting the band/frequency used on PM and it got moved to unmoderated box... weird.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : MMS APN - maybe not capitalize dun
Change plan when account is suspended - according to Alan_K it's the other way around - change first then pay. Paying first could cause an unwanted renewal.

@Luddite 

Thanks for the update. Has anyone ever been able to edit a post in one's unmoderated posts? And then actually post it? I could only ever post a screenshot....thankfully I believe I have been fully vaccinated against the *poof* the magic dragon disappearing post bug!

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97  just want to confirm  the proper steps 

Someone account suspended

1. he went to top up via *611 with full amount.  

2. The account still won't unsuspended

3. he need to go back online, click Reactivate the service

4. Make another Payment of $1

5.  Account will be activate by now?

What I don't understand is that part you said "If you have AutoPay, it will top-up the account if there are still insufficient funds.".. but I already pay via *611 earlier (step 1), so, why would Autopay try to top up the amount?  If via *611, you didn't pay enough, isn't that you can't go back and click Reactivate the service?

Steps are correct.... one point missing... account is suspended and past the renewal date.

The Top-up in step 1 is only available in $20 increments (20, 40, 60). The system also does NOT tell you how much to top-up. One could theoretically choose a smaller amount than the amount needed to renew, though you are correct, that is highly unlikely since the person would be trying to renew and hopefully realize they need to have sufficient funds. So in that case, AutoPay would trigger when going through Self-Serve.

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's a bug/quirk for your entertainment pleasure...the only (non-roaming) calling add-on you can buy is the US one. No others. Even though others are mentioned.

Maybe the developer got let go halfway and that's why it's unfinished?  LoL

Makes you wonder...

@Anonymous wrote:

@pm-smayer97 : It seems pretty obvious that it's just a limitation. One already knows one has to go into self-serve to self-suspend. Seems obvious one would have to go back and Resume. The 611 has no knowledge of Lost/stolen. It also has no knowledge of Plan Expired. It just knows it's suspended. It doesn't know how it got there.

Here's a bug/quirk for your entertainment pleasure...the only (non-roaming) calling add-on you can buy is the US one. No others. Even though others are mentioned.

Did not know about the add-ons either.

By the very definition, these are quirks/bug.... the system does NOT do what it says it will do.

(Even a "quirk" is a euphemism for a bug in these cases).

Regardless, these are clear candidates to include on the list.

Fantastic!

This is one that very well deserves a STICKY only if PM had them. 

Also I assume on excel? Is there any way you could have it on Google Drive or?

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe the developer got let go halfway and that's why it's unfinished?  LoL

@pm-smayer97  just want to confirm  the proper steps 

Someone account suspended

1. he went to top up via *611 with full amount.  

2. The account still won't unsuspended

3. he need to go back online, click Reactivate the service

4. Make another Payment of $1

5.  Account will be activate by now?

What I don't understand is that part you said "If you have AutoPay, it will top-up the account if there are still insufficient funds.".. but I already pay via *611 earlier (step 1), so, why would Autopay try to top up the amount?  If via *611, you didn't pay enough, isn't that you can't go back and click Reactivate the service?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97 : It seems pretty obvious that it's just a limitation. One already knows one has to go into self-serve to self-suspend. Seems obvious one would have to go back and Resume. The 611 has no knowledge of Lost/stolen. It also has no knowledge of Plan Expired. It just knows it's suspended. It doesn't know how it got there.

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97  thanks for the advise.

honest, I would prefer to go online and pay and unsuspend there.  

And with your experience, we need to go back online anyway.  So, it's better to "do it right" the first time  

I find doing things online much better anyway BUT sometimes it is not practical, convenient or timely. The net of the problem as it stands is that the system gives out false and misleading information. If it directed users to go online instead that would at least be accurate.

Ideally, 611 should be able to handle this too though. A PIN is required to proceed anyway so there is little risk there, in the event the account was placed on hold on account of it being misplaced.

That is one scenario where this becomes useful... recovering the phone and needing to use it before getting access to Self-Serve.

There are other situations too, like elderly or disabled that can do basics online but something like this gets complicated fast the way that PM has implemented it in Self-Serve that it is far easier via 611 (if only it did it right).

@Anonymous wrote:

@pm-smayer97 : I'm not sure that would be a bug/quirk per se. Seeing as how there's no lost/stolen function in 611 it seems obvious then that you would need to Resume in the self-serve to reactivate.

Limitation of the 611 service definitely. Surely there ought to be more we could be able to do in it.

Of course there is a quirk/bug... the 611 system gives the wrong information, making it appear that it is possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97 : I'm not sure that would be a bug/quirk per se. Seeing as how there's no lost/stolen function in 611 it seems obvious then that you would need to Resume in the self-serve to reactivate.

Limitation of the 611 service definitely. Surely there ought to be more we could be able to do in it.

@pm-smayer97  thanks for the advise.

honest, I would prefer to go online and pay and unsuspend there.  

And with your experience, we need to go back online anyway.  So, it's better to "do it right" the first time  

Another similar quirk I just discovered...

If an account in suspended beyond the renewal date, you cannot re-activate the account via calling 611. The system will prompt you to apply a payment to reactivate the account. Doing so will NOT re-activate the account.

The solution is you still have to go into Self-Serve and unsuspend the account FIRST then you STILL have to make ANOTHER payment (as little as $1), even if there are sufficient funds. If you have AutoPay, it will top-up the account if there are still insufficient funds. THEN and ONLY THEN will the account re-activate.

IN other words, you currently cannot re-activate a suspended account (on hold) via 611 (even though it makes you believe you can).

@mpcdesign wrote:

@Luddite , instead of 

Transfer number to a different PM account

Send a private message to the moderator team with the account numbers and an explanation. You will lose one of the numbers. NO LONGER ALLOWED

Can you not say, This is no longer allowed versus giving an explanation. People may try to still send a private message to the moderator team because it has worked in the past. But stating:

This is no longer allowed

or

Public Mobile is not able to accept or allow any transferring of numbers to a different Public Mobile account. 

That is NOT entirely correct. Though they do have a policy (for some time) that they no longer allow this as a regular task, I was able to transfer a phone to a new SIM after the original accidentally got deactivated (done within a few days of the deactivated account).

So there are circumstances that they are willing to address. YMMV based on a given situation.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Another set of quirks to add to your list:

Both apply if your account has been manually placed on hold/suspended (using the Lost Phone feature in Self-Serve):

- if the account is on hold and it has past the Renewal date, when you unsuspend the account via Self-Serve, it will not auto-renew, even if you have enough funds OR if you are signed up for AutoPay. Even if you wait overnight or more, the system will never auto-renew the unsuspended account.

The solution is you have to top up the account any amount ($1 or more but less than the full amount of your renewal plan's cost) THEN AutoPay will kick in and top up the account, as needed (of course if you manually top up just enough or more, AutoPay will not need to do anything).

- if the account is on hold and it has past the Renewal date, you cannot re-activate the account in one step by clicking Re-activate account. It may look like Self-Serve will let you and allow you to enter a top-up amount BUT you will not be able to continue. A tell-tale sign is that the system will not calculate the applicable tax.

The solution is that you have to manually unsuspend the account FIRST then you will be able to re-activate the account. So this is a 2-step process to renew an account that is suspended and the renewal date has past (but it is not obvious and there is nothing in Self-Serve to direct you to the necessary steps).

tamadan

I think I could've got there.... Just been kind of a long day.... sans siestas. Appreciate the quick fix but.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tamadan : lol Welcome to the Public Mobile Community. 🙂 I think the max is about 1650 pesos before tax. Not quite 14 gazillion trillion. 🙂 Assuming Mexican pesos.

tamadan

You can buy pm vouchers at circle k stores.no card, you must ask retailer for it. They range from $22.00+tax up to 14 gazillion, trillion pesos maybe. Too tired to work out the tax plus conversion. Don't know where else to get them.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : ...which reminds me...

Credit card not accepted - there's no apt field anymore.

Moving from Koodo/Telus prepaid, or PC Mobile postpaid - this is now just Koodo prepaid and PC Mobile postpaid ?? prepaid maybe ?? both ??

Where to buy vouchers - xoom doesn't seem to have PM vouchers even though they show PM

Disable voicemail - there's also a workaround to cause a busy signal to the caller

wellis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is an amazing way to organize all of the solutions to problems us new PM community members may be having. Thank you!

Need Help? Let's chat.