cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Disable Voicemail

Hi, 

I am very confused, as every answer on the internet, relating to Public Mobile and Disabling Voicemail, is giving conflicting information!

I have an iPhone 7 and I do not want people to be able to leave me voice messages. I have contacted apple, who have confirmed the VM feature is monitored through my  phone plan operator. 

Please can you tell me if disabling my VM is possible and how I go about doing this? 

Thanks,

Oracle

@Kateg Try the procedure quoted by @Indexx earlier in this thread. 

OR "call" ##2002# then click click "Dismiss" BUT seems you cannot reactivate voicemail without assistance if you do it this way: http://iphone-tricks.com/tutorial/1555-how-to-turn-off-voicemail-on-iphone

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Kateg there is a simple workaround: 

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 2 (record a new extended absence greeeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages. 
  • Then press 4 to turn on extended absence
  • Finally, press 5 to dissallow anyone to leave you a message.  Problem solved!

NOTE:  I can confirm this configuration does indeed work, and prevents the caller from leaving a message. I walked through it to make sure I had the right directions, and then tested by calling myself from another phone.  When you dial in, it plays the extended absence greeting you recorded, and then a system voice says "Thank you for calling, goodbye." and the call disconnects.

In my test extended greeting, I said "Hi, this is <my name>.  Sorry I'm unavailable right now.  At this time, I am not accepting new messages.  If you need to reach me, please send me a text or email, or try me again later.  Thank you.".  But of course, say whatever you like in yours!

To return to receving inbound messages, should you wish to at a later date:

• dial into your voicemail and log in with your PIN. 
  • In the main menu, press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 4 to turn off your extended absence greeting

After doing this, your previous personal greeting goes back into effect automatically, and callers can leave you messages again. Yes, I tested this, since I wanted to restore the ability anyway. 

Hopefully this helps!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I confirm that your step by step instruction works. Great solution to those who are not into Voice Mail. Thanks!

Mayor / Maire

Thanks @Respublica!  I can't take credit for the idea, nor do I recall whom I first saw suggest it.  But I can take credit for listing out the steps, I suppose!  Smiley Happy

There is another technqiue where you can remove your voicemail access number from your phone, and the phone would then just ring and ring.  I think for most people, this approach with a simple outbound extended greeting suggesting an alternate method of contact is better, rather than just leaving your callers totally hanging.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@srlawren

Thank you for being such a helpful person in this community. I include in my greeting for my callers to "Please text me at my xxx-xxx-xxxx phone number." This is to let them know that I prefer to receive text rather than a call.

The reason is I usually take the public transport and I do not enjoy taking a call in a crowded bus or train.

Just a personal preference

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A couple of alternatives:

1. Disable VM through the Call Forwarding options on your phone. Read the following by @skmkenn hereNOTE: This may use up limited plan minutes as you would be using the Call Forwarding features of your phone instead of the PM system sending unanswered calls to VM, which is handled and treated differently.
  2. Extend the ringing time as long as possible. Read the following by @z10user4 here and by @FredC here.

HTH

great help

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

A couple of alternatives:

1. Disable VM through the Call Forwarding options on your phone. Read the following by @skmkenn here. NOTE: This may use up limited plan minutes as you would be using the Call Forwarding features of your phone instead of the PM system sending unanswered calls to VM, which is handled and treated differently.
  2. Extend the ringing time as long as possible. Read the following by @z10user4 here and by @FredC here.

HTH

For easy reference, here is a picture of the menu system:

9fig4.png

source: "Adding an Extended Absence Greeting" section of 

How To Use Your Phone and Plan Features

I can confirm this method works on my voice and data plan