cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new phone with no previous phone number...

brideaut1971
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a brand new phone for my mother. It's a large digit 'burner phone'. I went to my local Public Mobile and bought a SIM card. I have it all paid for. It is not working in my new phone. The SIM number is not being recognized by the registration system on Public.  My email address, entered at the store, is not being recognized. Trying to register the new SIM, it asks for a phone number. This is null as I never had a phone number on this phone before.

What am I doing wrong?

--Tammy--

11 REPLIES 11

brideaut1971

Thank you for that information. Will return the phone. Guessing it should be receiving the 6 digit code, if it actually worked?

brideaut1971

NO previous accounts. Brand new phone, brand new account. SIM number is reported as being invlaid and I cannot enter a phone number to receive the 6 digit code on account of the phone is not connected to the Public Mobile service.

I mean, seriously, what kind of Catch 22 crap is this?

Reading the reviews on this phone...don't appear to be very good phone. Many users have reported non functioning in Canada.

Sorry !

HI @brideaut1971   does your mother have an existing phone with PM?  If she has one, move the sim card from the old phone to the new phone and it will work immeidately

If the existing  sim card, the one from the old phone,  is too big on the new phone, then you need to use the new sim card

But before you can put the new sim card into the new phone, you have to login to My Account and click Change SIM card and enter the NEW sim card number

Again, all the above steps are only for if she has an existing active account with PM

brideaut1971

Is a new account I set up at the Walmart kiosk. I used my email account. Public is not helping when I enter "Forgot Password" Just tells me INVALID EMAIL.

brideaut1971

Make and model of phone is

RCA RLTP169-B-BLACK

1.77" GSM Senior Phone 

Unlocked QUAD-BAND 

When entering the SIM information, I get the red exclaimation mark and a message saying "Please enter a valid SIM number"

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@brideaut1971  hi do you already have an account here,that could be why your email won't work , you need a separate one for each account , it won't ask for a phone number unless you want to port from another provider, maybe try again with a different browser 

brideaut1971

Make and model of phone is

RCA RLTP169-B-BLACK

1.77" GSM Senior Phone 

Unlocked QUAD-BAND 

Bought it off Amazon.ca yesterday, received it this morning. Went to public Mobile at WalMart. Set up a new account and got a new SIM.

Get home, SIM is not recognized, cannot log into 'My Account' Won't even allow me to change password. Just the whole process completely nuked!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@brideaut1971 

What is the make and model of the phone? It might not be compatible with PM.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@brideaut1971   are you activating a new account with PM ?

if so, you need to pick a new number (or port a number from another provider if you currently have one)

So, the activation portal accepted your SIM number?  If so, in step 2, pick a new number

E-Activation-Step2_Choose.jpg

Again, you only choosbring my existing phone number with me if you have a number in another carrier and you want to port (move) in to Public Mobile

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@brideaut1971 wrote:

I have a brand new phone for my mother. It's a large digit 'burner phone'. I went to my local Public Mobile and bought a SIM card. I have it all paid for. It is not working in my new phone. The SIM number is not being recognized by the registration system on Public.  My email address, entered at the store, is not being recognized. Trying to register the new SIM, it asks for a phone number. This is null as I never had a phone number on this phone before.

What am I doing wrong?

--Tammy--

What make and model is the phone.

Each account needs a separate email address, but you can use an alias. eg: joe+1@gmail.

Go to the top of this page and click Activate for activation guidance.

I'm assuming it's a new phone...not used somewhere else ?

Need Help? Let's chat.