cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a phone, have some questions

Breadroll
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy A03s through the Phones section of your website, and I have some questions:

When will my phone ship? Will I be able to track it using the Canada post app? I'm just asking because of the Easter holidays. It's no big deal if I have to wait, but it has been two days and I've had packages get lost in the mail before. So I'm naturally a bit scared is all.

Also, will it come unlocked? Just in case I ever decide to leave PM? I've had great service and am happy with my plan and promotional bonuses, but I just want that peace of mind.

Thank you guys for all your help! I really appreciate it.

18 REPLIES 18

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll 

Test out the phone and decide if you want to keep it. Just remember the 30 day hassle free return policy starts from the day of purchase. I have a moto g7+ as my "everyday" phone and I'm very happy with it. The camera is pretty good in daylight conditions but is subpar in lowlights conditions thus the reason I bought a pixel 3 as my "camera" and it was a deal I couldn't resist. Now I can appreciate the difference in quality a flagship phone compared to a run of the mill phone. But only if I get a great deal.

@Breadroll the issue now is that PM has not open up VoLTE for all compatible phones yet.  I anticipate many more models will join the list but we don't know at the moment.  So, this phone might not be VoLTE today but could work later.

if you don't like it and decide to return, just open ticket with PM and arrange 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "CPO Phone", then click "Return or Exchange..", then click "Contact Us",  then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Breadroll

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

My phone is coming tomorrow via UPS. If I find the lack of VoLTE to be hard to deal with or I just don't like the A03s, how do I return it?

My current phone (a OnePlus Nord N100) doesn't support VoLTE either but for the $182 I paid I'm starting to regret this purchase. Will it suit me as someone who just texts and makes phone calls? Yes. That's exactly why I bought it. But I also feel a bit ripped off knowing that I could've got the Moto G Pure (which is VoLTE compatible) for slightly less than what I have now.

I hope no one is upset with me for sharing this. Time will tell if I enjoy the phone.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll 

For a little more money you can get a lot more phone....while the new pixel 3a is only $179, the open box pixel 4xl is $249 and you could inquire about why the new pixel 4's $199 price flips to $299 when you click on it? While the pixel 4's will only get one more update the difference in quality of phone compared to the A03s is quantitative as really you cannot compare a flagship phone with low-end starter phone. And google's camera still outshines most current phones in the marketplace.

https://swiftronics.ca/products/google-pixel-4-xl-128gb-g020j-north-american-model-unlocked

@softech wrote:

@maximum_gato @Breadroll 

With A03 a relatively new phone, and sold by PM and currently on Koodo's VoLTE compatible list, I am confident it will eventually be on PM compatible list as well. 

I think it is too early at this point to conclude PM is purposely excluding these phones for any reason.  Probably they just need to finalize the list (if there is really a list at the end) or they just want to make sure a smooth transition to VoLTE rather than everyone jumping on it overnight and bring down the system.. Just my thoughts

of course, @Breadroll , if you care VoLTE and don't want to bet, make the decision wisely.  But A03 is a decent entry level phone with good price 🙂

The Samsung Galaxy A03 is a slightly different device than the Galaxy A03s.  Public Mobile's CPO device is the A03s.  I've used the A03s before and I can say that it's not a good device.  Many devices made 5 years ago outperform it.  With the A03s, the second you have maybe 3 apps open switching back and forth between them is a painfaul experience and random 5 second freezes aren't uncommon.  The prcoessor just can't keep up with today's common tasks.  I realize that this is a $169 phone new but everything in it is just mediocre from the display quality to camera, to even the earpiece of and loudspeaker providing relatively low quality quality audio.  There's also the matter of the pricing at Public Mobile for the device. I recommend buying this new for about $10 more than purchasing this used from Public Mobile.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll 

Additionally depending where you live as network providers continue expand the 5G network by replacing 3G network equipment to upgrade to 5G. More and more pm customers in the past year would suddenly lose nearly all connectivity to the 3G network (normally at home) as telus/bell selectively upgrade cell towers.

If you plan on using your phone for several years then if you want to maintain good voice calling then your phone needs to be VoLTE capable at least. I'm not currently bothered that pm has chosen to not provision VoLTE in any of my phones yet as long as they do it eventually and I do at least have an excellent 3G signal strength. 4G LTE is another matter....

Day to day? For now? It doesn't. But 3G/UMTS will be going by the way side over the next couple years. If you buy roaming add-ons for the states you would be better off with volte enabled.

Breadroll

Forgive me for asking, but how does no VoLTE affect my day to day usage?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

A decent price if new....swiftronics has both the dual sim international version and single Sim canadian version brand new a03's for $169 and the dual sim international version brand new A13 for $219. They still have good deals on open box Google pixel phones starting at $179.

@maximum_gato @Breadroll 

With A03 a relatively new phone, and sold by PM and currently on Koodo's VoLTE compatible list, I am confident it will eventually be on PM compatible list as well. 

I think it is too early at this point to conclude PM is purposely excluding these phones for any reason.  Probably they just need to finalize the list (if there is really a list at the end) or they just want to make sure a smooth transition to VoLTE rather than everyone jumping on it overnight and bring down the system.. Just my thoughts

of course, @Breadroll , if you care VoLTE and don't want to bet, make the decision wisely.  But A03 is a decent entry level phone with good price 🙂

@maximum_gato wrote:

@LitlLdy 

Seems pretty silly to me that pm sends out texts saying they have enabled VoLTE calling (2 out of 3 of my phones have recieved this text) and my phone(s) do not support VoLTE (even though all 3 should). Public Mobile then suggests you purchase a CPO Phone from them and supply a link to the Phones page where the majority of their phones for sale do not support VoLTE calling (according to pm's specs?)

This makes no sense to me? 🤔

@maximum_gato , Yup I agree! A few of us have or are going through this! 

Edit: A phone that’s compatible & works fine on VoLTE else where may not be here! 🙄

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

Seems pretty silly to me that pm sends out texts saying they have enabled VoLTE calling (2 out of 3 of my phones have recieved this text) and my phone(s) do not support VoLTE (even though all 3 should). Public Mobile then suggests you purchase a CPO Phone from them and supply a link to the Phones page where the majority of their phones for sale do not support VoLTE calling (according to pm's specs?)

This makes no sense to me? 🤔

@maximum_gato wrote:

@Breadroll 

Since your questions have already been answered just an FYI on your A03 phone it is one of the 9 out of 16 phones pm is selling that does not support VoLTE calling. Keep this in mind if you want to use the 30 day no hassle returns policy.

@maximum_gato , wow! Glad you chimed in to let Op know in case it’s a concern! Thank you.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll 

Since your questions have already been answered just an FYI on your A03 phone it is one of the 9 out of 16 phones pm is selling that does not support VoLTE calling. Keep this in mind if you want to use the 30 day no hassle returns policy.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll , I received my order receipt through email but I never received a tracking # when I ordered my phone but I was able to track it using my UPS app using my delivery address 🙂. It only took 3 days for me to receive my phone from the time I ordered it! I hope yours gets there quickly also.

Edit: This was in December though before Christmas & I ordered it on a Sunday!

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll @I brought iPhone 8 Plus from PM on September last year. I got shipping tracking after I had received the phone days later! PM sent by UPS. It took 6 business days to deliver, not bad at all.

Add: the phone is unlocked.

@Breadroll wrote:

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy A03s through the Phones section of your website, and I have some questions:

When will my phone ship? Will I be able to track it using the Canada post app? I'm just asking because of the Easter holidays. It's no big deal if I have to wait, but it has been two days and I've had packages get lost in the mail before. So I'm naturally a bit scared is all.

Also, will it come unlocked? Just in case I ever decide to leave PM? I've had great service and am happy with my plan and promotional bonuses, but I just want that peace of mind.

The phone will be unlocked.  The phone should ship within a few days but I wouldn't expect to receive any notification of shiopment or notification.  The package will have a tracking number, but Public Mobiel doesn't always provide it to the customer.  It's been my experience that Public Mobile often uses UPS but doesn't use the signture option. You'll have to keep a look out for the shipment as sometimes package may be left in plain view by the delivery person.  It's possibly to ask a Public Mobile customer support agent to provide the shipoment's tracking number, but they won't be able to provide that unless it has already shipped.    There's also the factor that you might already recieve the package before a customer support agent is able to provive that information.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Breadroll 

It should take a week or so, after it's been shipped ( expect up to 2 weeks from order date)

Yes you can track it.

Yes it is unlocked and can be used with any carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.