cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday Special ideas?

Scamp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Could they offer a 4G special or 5G at $29.00 for 10gb to encourage some of us off the 3G network ?

eEspecially since the current deal $34.00 for 20Gb

76 REPLIES 76

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are they still sending out this $25 5GB offers for people on $15 plans?  I keep checking every day.

ottawa

Two $25 lines in extended friends & family got a special $34 BF offer. ON line was offered 20GB@5G, QC line was offered 30GB@5G. I didn't bother asking if others did too as those are the posted BF offer in the respective province. The text does say offer ends Mon Nov 20 (which isn't yet BF).

Jonavin

No offer on my two $15 lines. Ready to pay you more money, just say when.

Kristowhy

@DennyCrane wrote:

Thanks for updating us! I'll check in with my contacts to see if they got an offer this round. 

Curious to see if they got the offer as well.  I accepted mine.  The timing was perfect plus the legacy discounts.

Jonavin

Well, looks like someone on reedit just got the offer

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/s/UPd4jDh6Te

Kristowhy

Looks like Freedom now has a $24/2GB nationwide unlimited talk/text 4G plan (up to 100Mbps) now....maybe this will spur some action into the $25 plans here at PM.  $45 connection fee however...

Freedom_25_2gb.jpg

@Kristowhy Yes it does. This was confirmed by folks last round. Unlimited calling in Canada and unlimited international text. Plus 5GB of data at 3G speed.

Kristowhy

I assume thou that this $25 offer continues to include all the unlimited canada wide in/out calls and international SMS/MMS of the standard $25 plan?  The SMS offer does not mention.

Can anyone who leveraged this before confirm?

Thanks for updating us! I'll check in with my contacts to see if they got an offer this round. 

Kristowhy

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Kristowhy It was (targeted to some $15 plan holders). They'd never proactively try to cannibalize their own customers already paying the same for less. This was a play to try and upsell those on the $15 plan. I personally don't know anyone that got the offer though, and I have a couple family/friends on the $15 plan.

Looks like the targeted offers for $15 users have begun again.  PM must have been listening here b/c I finally got one.  $25 for 5GB @ 3Mbps 3G speeds.  Must respond YES to text by Nov 20.

HI @DennyCrane maybe PM's human staff does not know either, these days, people are using AI to find the answer , and target in this case.. lol

@Jonavin You'd think! I can't figure out how they came up with their target list.

Jonavin

You're probably right. But what about the rest of us still on $15 plans? They don't want more money from us too?

@Jonavin I'd put money on that not happening. The targeted offer was to people on the $15 plan to get them to increase their spend.

Jonavin

What if that conversion offer for $25 5GB was a BF offer to those of us who didn't get that offer the firs time?  That would be something.

@DennyCrane wrote:

@will13am That's where my head is at too. Since last year we've seen expiring add-on's and massively increased data buckets, and unlimited plans that are incompatible with these ad-on's. To @Jonavin 's point, they would mostly benefit the low spend plans, which isn't going to be their target for wanting to reward. I'm very curious to see what happens. Maybe the long distance minutes will stay. Maybe a free roaming add-on.

I suppose some long distance minutes might be it or maybe just a lump of coal.  This service is also pushing CAN/US plans too.  

@Scamp wrote:
  1. Actually , you’re not correct , the 3G, 4G, 5G makes a difference. Such in my case when visiting family outside of Peterborough if I don’t switch out my iPhone out of auto, then my phone stays with 1 bar in 5G but in 4G it gets 4-5 bars so my phone rings and doesn’t got straight to voice mail as I have experienced. Important , if you want to receive calls in cottage county 

The mobile voice network is separate from the mobile data network.  You can be connected be to 5G network for data and 4G network for voice at the same time.  I generally don't pay attention that much to signal strength anymore.  I used to get anxious if I don't see at least 3 bars because a call can drop.  These days I can hold a call with 1 bar.  Anyway, you can still get the 5G speed plan just for the free unlimited slow speed data and run your phone with mobile data network set to 4G if that is important to maintaining good connectivity.  

@ottawa wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I would strongly recommend taking up the 5G speed plan if you are on the equivalent 4G speed plan.  The main advantage is getting unlimited throttled data if you run down the data bucket.  

Funny how we all see things differently. To me, the unlimited data at 2G* speeds after 20GB is of no value at best, and a significant detriment at worst. If I miscalculate and use up my 20GB 2 days before renewal (so about 714MB/day), I want the option to buy an Add-On (or burn an existing) and limp through to renewal. With the new policy of new Add-Ons expiring after 30 days, I'd just have to cut back to 500MB/day to make a 1GB Add-On last the 2 days, with no incentive to use less than the full Add-On (my grandfathered Add-Ons, sure I'd throw out the anchor and use a little as humanly possible).

I do NOT want to be trapped in 0.5Mbps Heck for 2 days waiting for renewal. Maybe I could ask an Agent to renew it early (not sure if even possible) but could still take time.

Obviously if I found "5G speed" significantly better than "4G speed", it would be a harder decision. But I feel like 100Mbps would be enough, not needing to go to 250Mbps (if 5G plan had a hard cap, of course I'd take that 🙂 ).

[*technically 0.5Mbps is faster than 2G, but if PM can call 3Mbps "3G speeds", I figure it's worth it for simplicity]

Agreed, the data speed is so slow that it is not worth much or nothing which is probably why we can get the 5G speed plan at no additional cost.  Free is free, I will take it with no complaints.  

@will13am That's where my head is at too. Since last year we've seen expiring add-on's and massively increased data buckets, and unlimited plans that are incompatible with these ad-on's. To @Jonavin 's point, they would mostly benefit the low spend plans, which isn't going to be their target for wanting to reward. I'm very curious to see what happens. Maybe the long distance minutes will stay. Maybe a free roaming add-on.

@Jonavin wrote:

For our low use plans, the annual data bonus fills those once in awhile needs. I hope they don’t stop this. 

I am going to stick my neck out and predict that the ship has sailed on data bonuses at Christmas time.  If non expiring data is no longer sold, it makes no sense for them to give out free non expiring data.  That would be counter to the prevailing marketing scheme.  

@Scamp I think you misread @will13am 's post. Everything he said is correct. You are also correct in that you may get better reception on 4G vs 5G or vice versa.

Scamp
  1. Actually , you’re not correct , the 3G, 4G, 5G makes a difference. Such in my case when visiting family outside of Peterborough if I don’t switch out my iPhone out of auto, then my phone stays with 1 bar in 5G but in 4G it gets 4-5 bars so my phone rings and doesn’t got straight to voice mail as I have experienced. Important , if you want to receive calls in cottage county 

ottawa

@Jonavin wrote:

For our low use plans, the annual data bonus fills those once in awhile needs. I hope they don’t stop this. 

Agreed, though having used only part of the 1st Add-On (of 7GB total they've given out), it won't kill me if they stop it. OTOH if most of us are leaving them unused, it costs almost nothing to give them out, and it's a great selling feature (I even got a friend on the $15 plan to do it, on a flip phone they don't even use the 250MB/mo they get, but the day will come that their spouse runs out of data and they can swap SIMs for a day or two. :)).

ottawa

@will13am wrote:

I would strongly recommend taking up the 5G speed plan if you are on the equivalent 4G speed plan.  The main advantage is getting unlimited throttled data if you run down the data bucket.  

Funny how we all see things differently. To me, the unlimited data at 2G* speeds after 20GB is of no value at best, and a significant detriment at worst. If I miscalculate and use up my 20GB 2 days before renewal (so about 714MB/day), I want the option to buy an Add-On (or burn an existing) and limp through to renewal. With the new policy of new Add-Ons expiring after 30 days, I'd just have to cut back to 500MB/day to make a 1GB Add-On last the 2 days, with no incentive to use less than the full Add-On (my grandfathered Add-Ons, sure I'd throw out the anchor and use a little as humanly possible).

I do NOT want to be trapped in 0.5Mbps Heck for 2 days waiting for renewal. Maybe I could ask an Agent to renew it early (not sure if even possible) but could still take time.

Obviously if I found "5G speed" significantly better than "4G speed", it would be a harder decision. But I feel like 100Mbps would be enough, not needing to go to 250Mbps (if 5G plan had a hard cap, of course I'd take that 🙂 ).

[*technically 0.5Mbps is faster than 2G, but if PM can call 3Mbps "3G speeds", I figure it's worth it for simplicity]

Jonavin

@Scamp wrote:

Well, if anyone has ideas regarding 5G reception issues, whether to upgrade to $34 p plan and not use 5G by choosing other network in settings in phone,let me know, but also if a deal of $30 or less pops up? 
Otterwise, $30 for 3gb is what I’ll stay on.

@Scamp  5G is a marketing term for the plan speed cap.  It has nothing to do with network access.  A 3G speed plan can connect to the 5G network.  Long story short, plan selection will not affect network connectivity.  You can use whatever preferred network type option you like.  I would strongly recommend taking up the 5G speed plan if you are on the equivalent 4G speed plan.  The main advantage is getting unlimited throttled data if you run down the data bucket.  

Scamp

Well, if anyone has ideas regarding 5G reception issues, whether to upgrade to $34 p plan and not use 5G by choosing other network in settings in phone,let me know, but also if a deal of $30 or less pops up? 
Otterwise, $30 for 3gb is what I’ll stay on.

@dust2dust wrote:

You're no friend of mine as demonstrated by your behaviour as an oracle.

@dust2dust 

opps that hurt.  And   I still dont see what I did wrong 🤔

Since I am a friend to everyone in the Community, and as an Oralce,  let me hold out an olive branch.... Afterall, we are all in the Community here to help others  there is no need for any arguments or enemies

Kristowhy

@will13am wrote:

As a shareholder, I am very cognizant of their earnings.  Subscriber growth is important but earnings growth is even more important.  The fact that earning is down speaks to my point that they are not making money hand over fist and that margins are being squeezed.  I don't know how people think that a service provider is being greedy when the price of a service is the same year after year after year.  

Yes indeed...delicious dividends definitely.  And dividend growth continues into 2024.  Good that they are well diversified across the many segments of the org.  The company is still quite profitable but not in all areas.  The good news is that carrier communications will always be needed....just like a solid power and energy generating plant. 😊

@dabr Not everyone on the $15 plan got the offer. 

Need Help? Let's chat.