cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday Special ideas?

Scamp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Could they offer a 4G special or 5G at $29.00 for 10gb to encourage some of us off the 3G network ?

eEspecially since the current deal $34.00 for 20Gb

76 REPLIES 76

@softech- Emojis of sarcasm and contempt I see. You're no friend of mine as demonstrated by your behaviour as an oracle.

@softech   I haven't been paying much attention or logging into the community much for a few months so obviously missed lots.  I'm sure a few mistakes are not a big deal and a learning curve is normal.. 😊

edit:  @dust2dust thanks, so not everyone received this offer and yep agree PM (Telus) have made some deliberate policy decision about phones getting voLTE despite having full capability.  Disappointing, I'd add..

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Kristowhy It was (targeted to some $15 plan holders). They'd never proactively try to cannibalize their own customers already paying the same for less. This was a play to try and upsell those on the $15 plan. I personally don't know anyone that got the offer though, and I have a couple family/friends on the $15 plan.

Thanks for clarifying.  I do recall that Koodo prepaid also had similar targeted promos months ago for those bottom end plans as well.   

@dust2dust  my history is that i am friend with everyone here 🤣😂

@softech- We have history. Why am I skeptical of your intentions.

@dabr- I have one account on the $15 plan and didn't get the offer.
Yup, my phone works perfectly fine with volte and wifi calling too on another provider. Not here. Sucks.

@dabr wrote:

edit:  Looks like I missed more than targeted promos and congrats are in order to @softech on becoming an oracle!  👍

thanks @dabr 

yes, it was since August, still rookie, still will make "mistakes" as you see... 🤣😂

@Kristowhy wrote:

@will13am 

Here are the latest operational and financial results for Q3 just released the other week

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/telus-reports-operational-and-financia...

Seems like Telus subscriber growth is positive, but Net Income is down.  Health Services is doing well but also revenues were up on the mobile network side.  It's a good read...

I can understand service delivery costs have gone up in this inflationary environment with lots of both human and technical capital needed to deliver.  I also recall the org cutting jobs in the past few months as well...

As a shareholder, I am very cognizant of their earnings.  Subscriber growth is important but earnings growth is even more important.  The fact that earning is down speaks to my point that they are not making money hand over fist and that margins are being squeezed.  I don't know how people think that a service provider is being greedy when the price of a service is the same year after year after year.  

Sounds interesting but I never received any such targeted promo and I'm also on the $15 plan.  Maybe I missed receiving it being out of the country during last month.  Having said that not sure if I would have taken up the offer but it would have been very tempting and maybe something in  between $15-$25 range might have made me take notice.

I did learn that my phone is fully capable of receiving voLTE, WIFI calls etc., while using another SIM though..

edit:  Looks like I missed more than targeted promos and congrats are in order to @softech on becoming an oracle!  👍

@Kristowhy wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Kristowhy Well-said

I do believe the $34 is the sweet spot that seems to be working to move people up from the $25 to $34 price point though. Will it get all or even a majority of them? Probably not, but it will get a lot of them. I agree on the $15 price point though, those customers are less likely to move. The targeted offer to move them up to 5GB for $25 was smart, but I doubt that'll result in a mass conversion.

Unfortunately I have not personally received or seen these targeted 5GB offers, but I would seriously consider it if PM sent out an SMS my way.  I'm talking to you PM... 😉😉😉  I'm very curious as to what type of $15 customers were targeted here...long term...usage based....tons of built up add-ons....hmmm

I definitely agree that the $34 plan is targeted to the $25 plan users...while being super attractive to bringing over new customers

If you had the $15 plan, you might have been targeted.  I was 3 for 3 on that promo.  

@Kristowhy- Yup, I was wrong. I updated my reply. Thanks

@dust2dust 

Hahah.. maybe you were too sensitive about my post. 

Let me make it clear, I have NO intention at all on my post trying to refer you or any other community members. 

I have a long list of friends still on the $13 plan (the used to be $10 plan).  Yes,  they are still upset with the $3 hike but they are laughing out loud when I remind them there is no "Price for life" with any provider.  I have been busy trying to convince them to go with the $15 plan instead (and now I can sell them the $34 plan instead)

Again, the post above was solely based on my personal experience from my friends around me.    🙂

@Kristowhy It was (targeted to some $15 plan holders). They'd never proactively try to cannibalize their own customers already paying the same for less. This was a play to try and upsell those on the $15 plan. I personally don't know anyone that got the offer though, and I have a couple family/friends on the $15 plan.

Kristowhy

@dust2dust I thought it was a targeted promo (via SMS) to $15 subscribers to pull them up to the $25 plan but with 5GB 🤔

Kristowhy

@will13am 

Here are the latest operational and financial results for Q3 just released the other week

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/telus-reports-operational-and-financia...

Seems like Telus subscriber growth is positive, but Net Income is down.  Health Services is doing well but also revenues were up on the mobile network side.  It's a good read...

I can understand service delivery costs have gone up in this inflationary environment with lots of both human and technical capital needed to deliver.  I also recall the org cutting jobs in the past few months as well...

@softech wrote:

Yes, some die-hard $10 plan fans  still believe lower (cost) is better,  many more will tell you it is not a matter of bang for buck or not , but 250Mb or 1GB is simply not enough for normal use.  

@softech- Please refrain from dissing people on how they choose to be consumers. I think it's ridiculous that people pay so much money for a mountain of data that they get nowhere close to fully using up each month. But I leave their consumer decisions to their own consuming strategies. It's their money. So be it.
Your comment drips with contempt because you know who's reading it. Please stop. It's unbecoming from someone of oracle status.

Adding - @Kristowhy - it was a very brief timespan text offer to $25 plan holders.
Adding more - I was completely wrong. Thanks Kristowhy

Kristowhy

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Kristowhy Well-said

I do believe the $34 is the sweet spot that seems to be working to move people up from the $25 to $34 price point though. Will it get all or even a majority of them? Probably not, but it will get a lot of them. I agree on the $15 price point though, those customers are less likely to move. The targeted offer to move them up to 5GB for $25 was smart, but I doubt that'll result in a mass conversion.

Unfortunately I have not personally received or seen these targeted 5GB offers, but I would seriously consider it if PM sent out an SMS my way.  I'm talking to you PM... 😉😉😉  I'm very curious as to what type of $15 customers were targeted here...long term...usage based....tons of built up add-ons....hmmm

I definitely agree that the $34 plan is targeted to the $25 plan users...while being super attractive to bringing over new customers

Kristowhy

@softech I agree with you that new activations on the higher end coming from competitors is likely brisk.  And yes, 1GB is becoming the bare minimum now IMHO.  But we all know they would get rid of the $15 plan if it wasn't regulated, so no reason for them to adjust that.  

Despite PM being a small % of the org, PM is a valuable and strategic brand to woo people over and into Telus, while being relatively low cost operationally, compared to their retail and Koodo brand tiers.  This is also beneficial when players like Freedom Mobile drop their pants with promos designed to lure away customers.

The million dollar question we are all dying to know is if PM will continue with their annual holiday freebies!? 🤔

Yup

I should add that it is also risky because they'll be cannibalizing those customers currently paying $39 and who drop to $34. I guess the hope is that those folks aren't paying attention, which is probably true. I'm the one that always has to tell all my contacts when prices drop.

yes @DennyCrane 

the $15 or $13 customers will very unlikely move to $34 plan.  They have been having only 250Mb and it usually mean they are not using data at all when they go out. 

But yes, when $35 was off the shelf couple months ago, many people were upset and i think it is a good news for them that $34 is now the new "norm"  🙂

@Kristowhy 

Public Mobile in fact is a very small % in Telus Mobile business (not even 5%), and Telus mobile revenue is only 50% (or less) of Telus'.  With that I do not think upselling bottom tier will help the big picture any way.

On the other hand, I have seen many asked about the $34/$35 plan, or those Canada-US plan in the past couple months.  I have a felling that PM's new activations are doing very well on the the mid to high price plans and the company gain (or actually loss) no longer drove by the $15 or $25 subscribers.  Pretty sure they have been doing good jobs in stealing customers off Fido/Virgin/Freedom and even Koodo.    Yes, some die-hard $10 plan fans  still believe lower (cost) is better,  many more will tell you it is not a matter of bang for buck or not , but 250Mb or 1GB is simply not enough for normal use.  

@Kristowhy Well-said

@Kristowhy wrote:

With Telus stock down almost 17% YTD, you can be certain that the focus is on retention and growth, which includes the upselling of bottom tier customers.

All of this 3G, 4G and 5G is nothing but marketing hype trying to segment and move people upward in their quest to increase the ARPU of subscribers.  Unless you are actually forcing your device to use the 3G (HSPA network), you are either on the LTE or 5G network (which isn't fully native 5G) throttled down to the "up to" speed profile you are paying for.

@will13am I agree that data is a commodity and has been for some time.  However, network capacity is finite, and there are technical differences and limitations between copper/fiber based networks that your home Internet is using and the mobile data network your phone is on.  The mobile data network is designed substantially different in and around say Scotiabank arena compared to a suburban neighborhood.  That said, mobile data here is still overpriced for what we get and there is big room for improvement.  The question is, how far are the carriers will to bend and give us more value for $ spent?   Telus bean counters are most certainly optimizing for their own balance sheet... 😉

I honestly believe many lower tier customers won't budge and will simply adjust their usage patterns to continue these lower monthly prices...until the carrot becomes sweet enough to bite... 

Wouldn't you think the reversion in the equity price is telling a story about the high cost of service delivery and that margins are squeezed?  I would submit that if Telus was making out like a bandit, the equity price would be up 17% YTD.  Compare the value of a cell plan to other goods and services for which the word grandfathered is not applicable.    

Kristowhy

With Telus stock down almost 17% YTD, you can be certain that the focus is on retention and growth, which includes the upselling of bottom tier customers.

All of this 3G, 4G and 5G is nothing but marketing hype trying to segment and move people upward in their quest to increase the ARPU of subscribers.  Unless you are actually forcing your device to use the 3G (HSPA network), you are either on the LTE or 5G network (which isn't fully native 5G) throttled down to the "up to" speed profile you are paying for.

@will13am I agree that data is a commodity and has been for some time.  However, network capacity is finite, and there are technical differences and limitations between copper/fiber based networks that your home Internet is using and the mobile data network your phone is on.  The mobile data network is designed substantially different in and around say Scotiabank arena compared to a suburban neighborhood.  That said, mobile data here is still overpriced for what we get and there is big room for improvement.  The question is, how far are the carriers will to bend and give us more value for $ spent?   Telus bean counters are most certainly optimizing for their own balance sheet... 😉

I honestly believe many lower tier customers won't budge and will simply adjust their usage patterns to continue these lower monthly prices...until the carrot becomes sweet enough to bite... 

@Scamp That won't change regardless of whether you're on a 3G, 4G, or 5G plan. All plan speeds still connect to the same networks.

HI @Scamp 

is your iPhone Nework setting set to 5G auto or 5G on? you can try 5G on or your 4G

Scamp

It s a real pain to go into your iPhone and switch out of auto to keep your phone out of grabbing 5G signal at 1 or 2 bars when other lower speed networks get 5 bars of strength in cottage areas or even just outside of Peterborough ,so here’s 🤞🏻hoping a 4G Black Friday of even 5Gb for $29 or even $30?

Scamp

Well, thanks for all the comments, I m on 3G for $30 for 3gb ( before discounts)and feel it’s a matter of time before it’s no longer running. So in cottage country, 5G doesn’t work as good as 4G or 3Gb for that materso I just thought a 4G update might be an upgrade, though I thought Public would want to incentivize older customers to close out 3G?

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Savivi Agreed. But from a business perspective there isn't a direct correlation of cost per GB. Many of us don't need 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 GB etc, but we do need more than 1GB.

They just care about increasing ARPU, and they do that by adding incentives to higher spend plans, including faster data, more data, and in some cases US roaming. I personally don't need anywhere near the 40GB I get on my Canada/US plan, but I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for the US roaming component. Would I love a $40 or $45 US plan with less data, sure. Is that likely to happen? Maybe, but I doubt it (and let's not get into the Quebec conversation again). PM has clearly decided that $50 is the entry point to US plans outside of Quebec; so whether they include 10GB, 40GB, or 100GB really makes no difference. The entry point is still what it is. The extra data is just extra incentive that doesn't really cost them much to provide, but helps to make the higher spend plans more marketable.

Having said all this, what do I know. If you told me a year ago that this is what we'd be paying today I would have asked you for whatever it was you were on. And now look where we are!

People just need to do a paradigm shift and come to accept that data is a commodity with very little unit cost/value.  I think I consume about 10 Tb on the home internet plan each month.  I don't think I can ask for the price to be cut in half and usage capped at 5 Tb.  If 20GB has an actual value of $34, then 10GB would be worth like $33.95.  

and add to @DennyCrane 's comment.  many people have different needs, 0.5Gb, 2, 3, 4, 10.. there is really no carrier can design plans suit for everyone.  When they bring out $29 10 GB, some would argue why not $27 for 5GB, etc.  From a business prospective, they are more interested to follow the competitors and not design many plans that suit everyone

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Scamp 

as you know we are all just customers here, I think any discussion here about "could they offer" would et to what you want.  Best to open proper ticket to submit your request.  But still, they likley won't take it unless the overall market has similar plans

Your ask about a $29 is not too far apart from the new $34 plan, maybe work on couple more friend referrals to bring it down to $29  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.