cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill increase with the new law in Canada regarding credit cards?

hiram09
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Canada now allows businesses to add the percentage charged by credit cards to the customer's bill.  Is my bill going to increase by this percentage, and if yes, how can I set up automatic payments using some other medium than my credit card?

21 REPLIES 21

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

The CRTC has now delayed their decision on Telus's application until December 6th. Telus has further followed up its application claiming the fee is "just and reasonable". I myself will be very interested in the CRTC's decision. If it rules against Telus then it gives real traction to make Telus explain how a 30% rate hike is just and reasonable if a 1.5% fee is not?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Just checked my MIL's Telus account. She is 96 and will never, ever see the advisement. Here is what it says. So cleverly worded to say "your card" and not say that only MasterCard and Visa fees can be charged back. Amex was not part of the law suit. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 10.40.09 AM.png

@Luddite, @darlicious - It's a good question. I don't know. I do know that receipts often say Visa Prepaid. I do not remember the last time I used a pure debit card purchase. I don't have either of the credit/debit cards. But I wonder if it could be kinda thought of as a Visa Debit seeing as how it's drawing on fixed, present funds. Credit needs to be approved up to a limit... not a balance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

The notice was on your August bill but it doesn't count anymore because it said starting October 17th and the CRTC has not ruled yet but I expect a decision in the next few days.... A new notice will have to be issued by Telus once they have a ruling...or at least I think so.....?

The next two increases for services of Optik TV and internet are for November. $5 for TV and either $3 or $5 for internet for customers like myself who refuse to sign an agreement (contract) for price protection(?!!)

Mr. Entwistle's last compensation package was $19.82 million.

@will13am wrote:

I sense Telus is testing the waters using the premium brand first.  It is quite possible that over time this will be pervasive with other service providers and then the floodgates will open wide.  We are possibly heading into a recession next year and so the adoption could be slow.  

My mother-in-law received and email about the additional cost....oddly I did not. And my last bill October 10 did not have an increase and did not see on my MILs.
Telus is not too much different than PM in mixed signals and errors.😉😉 My last bill from Telus, summary online, and My Rewards (Telus) all had a different figure for my accrued points!
Also a few days ago I received 2 emails with different numbers to call, a text, a phone call to my cell number (of which I have repeatedly asked them not to use), and a voicemail from Telus to call them in regards to replacement of copper lines. 5 notifications is 4 too many......so will I call back....HA....no way.
And how much does Entwistle make annually?  ($1,375,000 salary, 11,689,333 total compensation). Also keep in mind most Telus increases come in multiples of $5 and always rounded to the dollar. So, how many times have they already over compensated themselves??

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@hiram09 

1. Only appplies to Visa and Mastercard.....not Amex. So don’t let a retailer snow you by charging for using Amex. 

2. Retailer must show signage at door and check out. 

3. So online would have to continuously advise beforehand, I would think. 

4. Not a law. Was a change in contract....all based on greed. If was law, the government would have dictated a much much much lower rate. 😂😂 I just reviewed my last sentence......boy am I over optimistic🤪🤪. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite 

I think koho would fall into the visa/debit category. It is accepted by pm.

Edit:

Perhaps an edit to the solution correcting the misinformation is in order?

@darlicious wrote:

@Luddite 

Changing one's credit card to a debit card will not solve the issue (if it happens?) as that cannot be done. The customer would need to use a debit/credit card which is accepted by pm for pre-authorized payments.

Correct; Visa Debit already accepted; Mastercard Debit sometimes.

Wonder if Koho is considered debit or credit by PM? Perhaps @dust2dust   knows?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite 

Changing one's credit card to a debit card will not solve the issue (if it happens?) as that cannot be done. The customer would need to use a debit/credit card which is accepted by pm for pre-authorized payments.

Greg_R844
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@dust2dust  good answer!  I came looking to see if there was any news one way or another about this.  I guess we'll know when we know but I'll sure be changing how I pay PM should they decide to change their payment policies!

lightofhope
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I do not the update on that. However, I believe that Public Mobile caters to relatively cheap plans , it may not increase the fees owing to credit usage in near future

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

We do not know, nobody knows, all crystal balls are foggy; wait and see.

I think recession is right around the corner. possibly in the next few weeks. definitely before the year ends 

@Ando- Those words are fine..."I don't think so ... ". Fine. But you definitively said "no increase" and that was it...two words. Simply not reasonable to assert.

@Ando- Wait and watch what? It could go either way. You simply don't know. So therefor you can't state something you don't know. It could easily be programmed in to the credit card processor. To say it out loud in English, the software could get the prompt to charge, let's see - $15, ok then minus $3 in rewards, ok that's the account side now how about the credit card processor like we do for taxes, ok then what area code, ok 12% tax, ok then add another whatever 1.5% fee say, ok off to the credit card and charge 12 + 12% + 1.5% = $13.64 out to the credit card. Done.

We do not know if they might do that. Nor do you.

"wait and watch" is used medically as in cancer therapy when a slow growing cancer is kept under observation instead of initiating procedures such as debilitating surgery or chemo-therapy.

@Ando wrote:

@hiram09 

no increase 

@Ando- On what basis of fact do you make this assertion? All the comments in here and in other threads on this type of question give some wording of uncertainty. You are stating something as a certainty. You are not able to make such a certain comment. So where are you getting this alleged fact?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hiram09 

Since Public Mobile is a prepaid provider and has long marketed itself as having no overages, extra billing or fees it's extremely unlikely that this would ever be implemented at public mobile. Additionally customers that are Quebec residents are not subject to these kind of fees due to their consumer protection laws.

However if this was ever to occur..... public mobile must give customers 30 days notice of any changes in their fees and prominently display the change and give you an itemized invoice showing any additional charges or fees that are added to your bill.

As long as you have not blocked communication from public mobile via text message or email any changes that occur will arrive by those means and should according to the terms of service be posted on the plans page although this is YMMV on whether Public Mobile chooses to abide by their terms of service.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I sense Telus is testing the waters using the premium brand first.  It is quite possible that over time this will be pervasive with other service providers and then the floodgates will open wide.  We are possibly heading into a recession next year and so the adoption could be slow.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@hiram09   While PM is owned by Telus, they are separate companies and they have different policies

Telus will add credit card surcharge but PM will not

so, your bill will stay then same when paying by credit card

Unless PM adds the option to pay the bill in the bank, I honestly don't see this surcharge coming our way

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@hiram09 hi there is no word of it happening here yet but if it does I would suggest changing your cc to a debit card by going into your self serve and going to payment methods to change it there 

Need Help? Let's chat.