cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atleast 3 spam calls every single day.

G00ber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ever since i switched from fido to public mobile im getting bombarded with spam calls multiple times every single day different numbers each time, and they all leave voice messages so my inbox is always filled.

And now i find out that public mobile make no effort whatsoever to provide support to their users.

Is there a way to fix this? If not im 100% leaving public mobile because this is ridiculously bad.

15 REPLIES 15

@G00ber wrote:

No i ported over my old phone number. I only ever give it out when completely necessary. Which is strange because i feel like i didnt get nearly as many spam calls before switching to public mobile. But it may just be the fact that since switching to public mobile, 100% of the spam calls i get leave blank messages make it much more annoying.

Hopefully it dies down after a while. Consider my previous suggestions of diverting junk calls away from voicemail, and you can also look into using a 3rd party voicemail service such as the free service from youmail.com - then your voicemails just come as an email with a sound file attachment and a text transcription, so junk voicemails become just a simple delete instead of having to dialin to listen and delete them. (and if you are on the $15 plan, you then don't need to use any of your 100 outgoing minutes to do so).

G00ber

No i ported over my old phone number. I only ever give it out when completely necessary. Which is strange because i feel like i didnt get nearly as many spam calls before switching to public mobile. But it may just be the fact that since switching to public mobile, 100% of the spam calls i get leave blank messages make it much more annoying.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber wrote:

Ever since i switched from fido to public mobile im getting bombarded with spam calls multiple times every single day different numbers each time, and they all leave voice messages so my inbox is always filled.

Public Mobile, being Telus' value brand, doesn't offer "call control" -- one of the most effective tools against junk calls like this where unknown callers are presented with a prompt to dial a specific random number before the call actually rings through to your phone.

Even if it was the same caller ID, blocking those calls merely forwards them to your voicemail immediately, making it even more likely for them to leave you a junk voicemail that you have to go and delete later.

A couple options in varying degrees of "effort" ... 🙂 One is to set your conditional call forward for blocked/busy to Lenny the bot as previously mentioned...  Then any calls from numbers that you explicitly add do your blocklist or manually decline as you see them ringing are diverted there instead of your voicemail. To do this, dial *67*2264447726#. Undo it with ##67# to have those calls go back to reaching your voicemail.

Option 2 is to set your blocked/busy conditional call forward to a dead end - ie *67*0000000000# which will cause the caller to receive some kind of call failure such as endless ringing, or fast busy. This has the possibility of flagging your number as invalid or not in service in the spammers database...

Option 3 is to switch your voicemail service to Youmail.com, so voicemail from junk calls are automatically blocked, and since their service emails you the messages there is basically no storage limit. Install their app and you may also benefit from automatic call blocking of spam calls from crowd-sourced data, which may or may not help.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@G00ber 

no one can stop spam calls just ignore and delete and block...

pepsi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recommend if this might not be a issue for u to change your phone number with a new one. This gives you a fresh phone number which stops spams knowing your new number. Sorry for bad english am learning english.

dent007

IF you want to keep the phone number you have and you want to stop junk calls/voicemail here are 2 suggestions:

1) set your phone to only accept calls that are in your contact list. (drastic)

2)THIS works great and is easy to do....Set up your voicemail to say " hello this is a recording, wait for the beep".........10/15 second silence................. beeeep. Play around with the length of silence. What happens is the spammers connect and only hear silence, then they hangup before your voicemail kicks in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : Oh that's interesting too. The other day someone said something about pressing # a few times. Next time I'll answer and immediately go on mute and wait. If a proper caller says in that questioning way "hello?" then I'll unmute and carry on. But of course I'm already on call lists. Alas.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

As usual, just keep blocking spams and they'll eventually stop arriving.

Blocking 'spam' numbers does not help as these numbers are all spoofed and might be real, legitimate numbers.

The other day I received about 5-6 calls from all different numbers regarding 'Customs stopped suspicious package in my name'.

To avoid filling vmail with garbage, you can answer every call but let other party stars talking. I figured out spam calls (robocalls) wait to hear any sound from you and then message stars. If you do not talk, machine hangs up after 2-3 seconds and call does not go into vmail. Same with robocalls from politicians...

guitarpickr

Hi, it's annoying as heck to deal with spam. Unfortunately, we all had to deal with them and some of us from all phone carriers have or are still dealing with it. Even changing your number doesn't help totally. Best solution is a combination of 3 remedies. 1 register the number as spam and block it by holding your finger on the number in your phone. 2 change your number, 3 limit your phone number on different websites. I've yet to experience spam with public mobile. The other phone company I was using was exasperating dealing with spam. Hope this helps you rid of the annoying spam issue.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber wrote:

And now i find out that public mobile make no effort whatsoever to provide support to their users.

Is there a way to fix this? If not im 100% leaving public mobile because this is ridiculously bad.

All carriers are affected by spam.  Switching because of that might not help.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber 

If you don't want to change your phone number or you just can't change it then set your conditional call forwarding to Lenny and he will take care of the spammers for you. Or you can send the spammers to many of the other interesting phone numbers @Nezgar  has kindly found to send your busy/declined calls to for their just desserts.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nightmare/m...

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@G00ber

You don't mention if you 'ported' over your previous Fido phone#  or had PM give you a new one.

If a PM supplied phone #,   maybe it previously belonged to someone who had a bad habit of answering all phone calls even with missing caller IDs.  So the spammers knew they had a live 'un.     

If that is the case,  JK8s  suggestion of  option available would likely be the fix to your numerous spam calls, with voicemails - which is odd since any calls we don't answer tend not to utilize the voicemail.  

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber 

As usual, just keep blocking spams and they'll eventually stop arriving.

Unless you made the mistake of putting your phone number somewhere online or answering any of their calls or responding to any of their messages ... which puts your number on their "active" lists forevermore.

As @JK8 said - if you're not attached to your number then you can change it (through Self-Serve) at no charge. Once every 30 days if you like.

Public Mobile's online support model is not for everyone. You will indeed get faster (or at least faster-appearing) support with the brands which offer face-to-face interactions at their stores and kiosks. But Public Mobile's methods do work for those who are patient.

You will find that all of the carriers are equally disinterested in dealing with your spam issues, however, whether you stay with Public Mobile or return to Fido or go with anyone else.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@G00ber 

If you are not attached to your number you can change it up to 4 times each cycle in self service.

G00ber

And dont tell me its what you get for the lower prices, other carriers offer similar deals for around the same price.

Need Help? Let's chat.