cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Building getting long distance warning

driverostrum
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have connected my aparment's intercom to my phone number and every time someone buzzes my apartment, they get "long distance charges will apply". How can I change this?

7 REPLIES 7

driverostrum

I'm going to try asking them about putting a 1 in front of the number. If that is a no-go I'll look into a VoIP solution. Thank you.

driverostrum

Thanks. I am going to ask about putting a 1 in front of the number first if not I'll try the other options.

@Handy1 wrote:

@driverostrum  Not sure you can change it , but note PM is pre paid so you can’t use what you haven’t paid for already . So you won’t get any surprise bills by hearing that error message 

The customer isn't trying to make a phone call, but rather trying to receive one.  Any long distance charges for an outgoing call are paid by the outgoing caller (which isn't the OP).

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Sounds like your cell phone number is not local to the landline used in the doorbell system. This is not a Public Mobile issue. Does the call connect? If not you may need to choose a different number. Or program it into the doorbell with a 1 in front. 

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Apartment buzz is like landline. Even if is the same area general area, it can still be a long distance charge. Like GTA is not all free calls for landlines 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@driverostrum it really depends on the phone number you have. What area code and the next 3 digits you PM number?? Which City you apartment in??

If phone number really a problem, Some would use a workaround with VoIP app like TextNow  TextNow gives you another number of your choice, you choose a number with a number in your arae

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@driverostrum  Not sure you can change it , but note PM is pre paid so you can’t use what you haven’t paid for already . So you won’t get any surprise bills by hearing that error message 

Need Help? Let's chat.