cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All data eaten up in two days

kjkliewer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, hoping someone can help.

Last weekend, just a few days after I signed up for public mobile, I got a message that I had used up 75% of all my data. I usually use about 500mb/ month, and I had signed up for 2.5 GB so this was surprising to me because I did nothing out of the ordinary. What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting on my phone that I need to change? Does Public Mobile treat data differently than other cell companies? I was previously with Bell. I just need to figure out how to turn my data back on without having it get eaten up in a day... Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

psyclone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm having the same thing. I have 4.5GB, and for the past several years I've had no problems. But starting a couple months ago I've been getting that 75% text fairly quickly, which is odd since my usage habits haven't changed as far as I can tell. I only turn data on when I need to use it, and then turn in off right after. I also use Wi-fi instead of data if it's available. I used to rarely reach 4GB let alone 4.5GB. I also notice the self-serve page has gotten a lot more confusing. I can no longer find where it shows the percentage of my data I've used.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kjkliewer 

The best thing to do is to login to your account because it will show your current  Data usage. A few people mentioned they also got a text from PM about their data… this is probably a glitch and sent out by mistake so ignore it if your account shows your true amount of data.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If you didn't do anything out of the ordinary it is prob just the issue that happens a lot of sending out a text in error and way off on data usage

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kjkliewer   are you on Android or iOS? check if your device setting causing the issue

Make sure you disable Wifi-Assist or Adaptive Wifi, they will eat up your data when your Wifi signal is week

Also, any chance you just had a OS update? maybe you downloaded the OS using Data?

And your vido streaming, make sure you disable download on Mobile Data

if you are on iOS, there is a Mobile data usage but you have to reset it to monitor from today go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data, and tap Reset Statistics

If you have Android, check the Mobile Usage page, make sure you change the start date to match your cycle start with PM  date and you can tell which apps used the data and how much they used

E-MobileData.png

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you check data status at your self-serving account? What does it say - how much GB you still have?

SMS messages are sometimes incorrect.

If you keep your DATA ON all the time some apps or OS will take advantage of that and go on Internet very often to do all kind of 'updates'.

PM does not treat data usage differently than any other company. The track whatever you use accurately.

Need Help? Let's chat.