cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G promo plan with iphone 11

sbennett
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there any downside to signing up for the new $40 5G plan if my phone is not 5G capable? In a few months I might consider upgrading to a newer phone.

6 REPLIES 6

@Chalupa_Batman Was that a typo?

"If you have a 4G phone you'll get 4G speeds on the 5G network."

A 4G phone will not give you access to the 5G network, however you'll still get better than 4G (100Mbps) speeds even on the 4G network with a 5G plan.

@Handy1 said it best. You'll get 4G speeds on your phone even if you get this plan.  It's still OK to get that particular account if you plan on getting a new phone in the future with 5G. And when you do get a 5G phone, clearly the speeds will double and then some. Sometimes it's better to play the long game. When you have a chance to get a really great deal on a plan but won't fully benefit from the speeds right away, focus on the amount of data you get to use and the price different you'd be paying somewhere else. Then say 6 months from now you get a 5G phone and prices on plans have gone up... your laughing!! Hope this made sense.

EDIT: Anyone got a spare light bulb? LOL. 

@sbennett  You can pick any plan you want you access 5G network with a 3G plan and get throttled 3G speeds and you can use LTE on a 5G plan 4G/LTE 5G just means the data speeds 

sbennett
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not sure I understand. I haven't joined PM yet. Is the data apportioned to the speed? That is, do I need to subscribe to a LTE plan to use LTE data, and similarly for 5G?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Not really. You'll still get some pretty decent speeds. But I think your more thinking the amount of data you get to use is more important. 🙂 

Need Help? Let's chat.