cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Phone on 4G Plan Inquiry

ConnorHand
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi! 

I have a Pixel 7 Pro but currently on a 4G plan. I'm struggling to find an answer regarding which network I should select for my preferred network in my network settings. Selecting LTE makes sense since I have a 4G plan but my phone recommends I leave it on the default 5G.

What this post boils down to is does the '5G' preferred network outperform 'LTE' on a 4G plan OR should I just leave my preferred network to LTE since that's what I'm paying for?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

I have a 4G plan but I leave my phone on 5G preferred. My results seem to be all over the map though. At home last week I was getting better speeds on 4g, but still a far cry from the 100Mbps max, but now today at home I exceed 100Mbps on both, with better results in 5g.

Screenshot_20230603-105333.png

Screenshot_20230603-105505~2.png

ConnorHand

Thank you both for your input. I'll just leave it on LTE as planned.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ConnorHand 

There are a lot of YouTube video showing the speed test of 4G/LTE vs 5G.

Most of them shows the 4G/LTE was faster. The other thing to remember the 5G only works outdoor because the signal can’t go through walls. 
Also as @Handy1  pointed out…it is a battery drainer and your phone may run warm.

I have my iPhone 14 Pro on 4G/LTE.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ConnorHand with PM now has 5G enabled, you can set your network to Automatic or 5G  and it will work, the speed will still capped at your plan speed

ConnorHand

So theoretically, assuming say network coverage and signal strength are the same at any given location, the 5G setting has an edge even though it's still a 4G plan?

@ConnorHand  Honestly no I don’t , think it may just drain battery quicker is all 

ConnorHand

I'm aware. To confirm you think there is no benefit to selecting 5G over LTE as my preferred network in this case?

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It should be throttled to the same speed regardless. In theory the 5G network should be better but results will vary based on many factors.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@ConnorHand  4G /LTE same thing , you can leave it on 5G too but your will still only get the 4G speeds 

add 5G may use more battery also 

Need Help? Let's chat.