cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$50/40GB Can/US plan now is **5G speed**

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Credit to @Yzeguy for noticing this. The $50/40GB plan is now 5G instead of 4G that it was until now. You have to change into the new version of the plan to get the higher speed (as far as I can see). My scheduled renewal to the 4G version hadn't even happened yet, but I was able to change it to renew into the 5G version. And to backup my theory that you do have to make the change from the 4G version (if you have it), the new version of the plan was available for me to renew into, even though I was already scheduled to renew into the 4G version; normally you don't see the same plan you're trying to renew into as an option if you already have it scheduled.

Screenshot_20230803-094541.png

33 REPLIES 33

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I was the same, Originally the $50 4G LTE Advanced Speeds Can-US Plan, then discovered the 5G Version for same Fee, Switched, meant scheduled for next renewed cycle, and alas, got the Plum

Jonnytk1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sweet, I was asking for this to there instagram for a while now great news

thanks @TI58 for sharing your experience 

TI58

I live in Ontario, I was in Michigan all day Friday. I was on T-Mobile network. I used auto select with data roaming on. I didn't use much data but a few calls and texts back to Canada were flawless.

hi @TI58 

no worry,, you have the correct plan for yourself 

and since you are in US, can you confirm if you can access the 5G network with T-Mobile?

TI58

Thanks for that.

@TI58- Those are not individual plan details. They are endnotes (footnotes) with symbols referring back to symbols in the plan windows of the plans page.

TI58

I'm on the $50.00 Can/US plan now which I've used successfully in the US. I just switched to this 5G plan at renewal. I just read the whole plan details and noticed the very last line "QUEBEC ONLY" Is that true? If so there is no switching back to the 4G plan since I don't see it any longer. 

Proxima
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

im sticking to my new 45$ as i don’t go to the USA often enough to justify it.. I’m going to use my rewards points for those rare occasions 

💯

It means very little to me. It's 1/6 on PM, but still. I can't see it being usable for much more than messaging and basic browsing anyway. I have no need for even 40GB; for me it's all about having a data bucket to be able to use in the US. And phone/text of course. 

Yzeguy

Unlimited is a joke anyways. Imagine internet speeds at 1/6 of the 3G speeds. That unlimited isn’t a big deal for me… just happy to have a faster data option that allows cross border coverage. 

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@TangeloGorilla 

Hi, it's like that for me too. I wish there would be some kind of mention. 

It's strange for plan summary not to include every bullet point about what's included the plan (Especially Canada-US mention). 

TangeloGorilla
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I activated on this plan yesterday and noticed in my portal there is no mention of Canada-US. I see it in the email I received welcoming me, but curious if this is normal of all Canada-US plans?

I wondered that too, but there is no mention of unlimited at 512Kbps on the $50 Can/US 5G plan. My assumption is no. Up until now all 5G plans had that option, but this may be a first.

While I am renewing into this plan, I likely will never get to test it first hand because I don't ever see myself using even close to 40GB in a month. 

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@softech  Do you know if all 5G plans have Unlimited Data? The $45 plan states clearly 5G with Unlimited. The $50 5G Canada-US plan doesn't mention about Unlimited Data. 

Few days back before the new plans came out PM agent told me Unlimited only on 5G. I really hope they aren't now excluding their Canada-US plans out of the unlimited data offering that would really be unfortunate 😞

Yup. I guess they figure they've got unused capacity, may as well do everything they can to market to new subscribers and push up the ARPU of existing customers.

@golfball wrote:

They've nearly eliminated the 4G plans other than the $39 for 20GB which is a promotion.

I'd be in favor of Public Mobile eliminatiing the different speed offerings.  I find that it just adds confusion.

@golfball wrote:

They've nearly eliminated the 4G plans other than the $39 for 20GB which is a promotion.

@golfball 

that's not bad, maybe it's time for them to move all the 3G plans to 4G 🙂

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

They've nearly eliminated the 4G plans other than the $39 for 20GB which is a promotion. (And the Quebec only plan.)

@Yzeguy wrote:

Competition is good for us. 

@Yzeguy Yup.  No greed for the provider, just goodies for consumers  🙂

Yzeguy

Competition is good for us. 

Great point. Freedom still wins on the $65 plan though, as theirs covers Mexico as well. But I guess PM has the 90 day discount.

Maybe PM will come out with more roaming countries next! Nothing would surprise me the way things are going lately. 

Yzeguy

I’ll bet dollars they’re now trying to compete with the new Freedom offerings. 

Yzeguy

I agree. I’m in a border town so it makes perfect sense for me, but it depends on what you need. 

paopao123

Okay, thank you!

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@paopao123  It's no problem to make the switch. Just be sure to change on the next renewal, otherwise you lose out on the funds you spent on your current plan.  Welcome aboard!

@paopao123 Unfortunately you'd lose what you prepaid as PM doesn't prorate when you change plans. It's best to go change the plan, but set it to change on your next renewal.

paopao123

I just signed up yesterday. Is it possible to switch now and only pay the difference? Or do I have to wait until new renewal to upgrade?

@dust2dust The US roaming isn't the cherry for me, it's the main course. The rest is just a bonus. I'd be more than happy with 20GB at 4G speed,  but if I need to spend a little bit more to break into the US roaming space, I'm fine with that. Doesn't make sense if you're only go to the US once a year, but I go often so it's well worth it. I also have business dealings in the US, so the continuity of having my own phone number is important. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

...if you want to spend that much...and you need all that data. But the roaming is a nice cherry on top.

Need Help? Let's chat.