cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G to 4G plans

jGil189
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys

Currently on a $40 3G plan with 5GB data.

I'm thinking of going for the $45 4G plan with 6GB data. Realistically how much difference will I notice? My 3G plan already connects to LTE most of the time and as far as I understood that's the same as a 4G connection. I don't really need the data just better connectivity would be nice.

Thanks 

8 REPLIES 8

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@jGil189  Some additional info for you on 3G vs LTE https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@jGil189 

Plans with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, and plans with 4G speed may reach download speeds up to 100 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jGil189 

It depends on what you use your phone for? If you use it for work the faster upload and download speeds may be important for certain applications. If you game on your phone  or use apps that have a lot of video or HD images then it would improve your experience. I have both and I don't notice much of a difference other than its a bit snappier.....pages load quicker or using the pm site is less frustrating as your payment or login completes faster. Is the extra $5/1gb worth it to you?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Save the money and enjoy Plan you currently have.

Speed matters when using computer (downloading). On phone I would not bother...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @jGil189 the current 3G plan capped your speed to 3Mpbs on LTE or around 12 Mpbs when on 3G.  4G plan cam give you upto 150Mpbs.  

the difference is a lot, but do you need the speed?  you ever notice thr slowness?  You download a lot?  Are you will to wait 10 more seconds for a download to save some $$?

if you don't download a lot, don't see it is currently slow, I don't think thr 4G plans worth it

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

My son has the new 4G plan...we don't notice alot of difference actually. Could be many variable influences though.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@jGil189 personaly I am happy with the 3g I guess it,s a matter of personal choice,I do know the 4g uses your dats faster, something to keep in mind 😀

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't find the 3g speed plans too restrictive honestly for regular web browsing and social media etc. It's just LTE throttled to 3 mbps. Might only make a noticeable difference for downloading /uploading files or for higher bitrate video 

Need Help? Let's chat.