cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM now available for new & existing subscribers!

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are excited to announce that starting today, we’re introducing eSIM availability to both new and existing subscribers, along with the rollout of multiple enhancements in My Account. We’ve noticed many of your posts expressing interest about eSIM, and wanted to share how you can easily switch to eSIM. By switching to eSIM, you’ll gain the freedom to be more flexible with your services, whether it’s for travel or efficiently managing both personal and business accounts on a single device!

We made it easy to purchase SIMs at any time, you can purchase an eSIM or SIM Card directly from the app and My Account. 

Before you get started

• If you purchase an eSIM, you must do it with the device you want to install it on.
  • You can only install your new eSIM through the app. 

How to transition from a SIM card to an eSIM

1. Download and install the Public Mobile app on your device
  2. Open the app and select one of the the following locations: 
     - Subscription & add ons
     - Empty cart 
     - Lost/stolen banner
  3. Select ‘Purchase SIM’ and select the SIM type of your choice
  4. Select ‘Pay & Install’ and complete the payment. Your eSIM will be installed and your current SIM card number will be automatically replaced with the eSIM number
  5. Remember, once the eSIM is installed, it cannot be transferred to another device
  6. You can remove your SIM card. It is no longer necessary to access Public Mobile services after the eSIM is activated

How to Purchase an eSIM or Physical SIM

For New Customers:

1. During the activation process, you can choose either an eSIM or a Physical Sim Card 
  2. SIM cards can also be purchased through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

For Existing Customers:

1. Visit the Subscription & Add-ons page in your account to purchase either an eSIM or SIM card.
  2. You can also buy a physical SIM through our website at pm.ca
  3. Additionally, SIM cards are available for pick-up at our stores here

The Public Mobile Team

146 REPLIES 146

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , 

Update: I switched my iPhone 14 Pro from a Public Mobile SIM Card to a Public Mobile eSIM flawlessly! 👍 I received an email right away notifying me that my SIM Card was changed!

For Existing Customers:

1. In the Public Mobile app on your Phone go to ‘Subscription & Add-ons’ page in your account to purchase an eSIM. I scrolled down & selected ‘Shop SIM CARD NOW’ then under ‘SELECT SIM CARD TYPE’ select ‘eSIM’ then select ‘PAY NOW’, (I purchased the eSIM using my available balance from points that I redeemed). 
  2. Please keep in mind to be patient when installing it, it takes time. Follow the instructions it gives you during this process! After it says on your Phone’s screen that it installed successfully reboot your Phone. ‘With your Phone turned off remove your SIM Card from your Phone’. As an extra measure I reset my Phone’s network settings.
  3. In your cellular settings make sure that turn on this line is selected.

I received an email notifying me that my SIM Card changed.

I made sure to test it to make sure it worked by calling myself from my TextNow app then also successfully made a call out from my iPhone. Plus I sent & received text myself! No issues to report!

Now I can put my TextNow SIM Card in my phone! 🙂

So, there ya go, I was the test dummy for current Customers! 🙂

Edit: ‘I can not stress this enough… please be patient when installing the eSIM’.

Edit: I am someone that has panic attacks so I was pretty excited at how smoothly this went for me! 🤗 

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Exciting news regarding this: You can now use Account Funds to Purchase SIM Cards or e-SIMs unlike before when you we're forced to pay by card even if you had an Account Credit. 

SmartSelect_20230811_124424_Public Mobile.jpg

So I'll lightly retract on what I said before considering we can use Rewards to get these now, so still costing us nothing if you redeem a Bill credit. 

Hey @J_PM can I use $420 of my Available Funds and order 42 Physical SIM Cards if I wanted? (I can do it one at a time... sure, but can you guys take an "order" and have them all paid for at once and sent out all together to make it easier for me?)

Screenshot_20230811_124448_Public Mobile.jpg

Savage420
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yup, I moved to PM with e-sim from koodo on the 9th. Easy as pie. Had both the esim and old physical sim in at the same time while it was being activated. As seen at the top of my screenshot. Good to go so far. Can't beat free😁👍

1000011141.png

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Half smile for now, full smile when e-sim transfer between phones becomes available.  

Priority

I feel like if e-SIM is going to be free for New Activations than it should also be free for existing Accounts to make the switch to it as well, it isn't fair that loyal customers have to pay meanwhile New Activations have gotten it for free till now, and still continue to get it offered for free.

We the loyal customers have waited for months and months to get e-SIM finally added, all while New Activations could get e-SIM for free and already begin using the features long before the loyal customers. (Technically in this aspect, we the loyal customers have been paying for you guys to support and offer e-SIM for free to New Clients until it's been finally introduced to us, and now we are expected to pay the $5..)

It's a little unfair if you don't have Rewards or an Account Credit to use, because than you do actually have to pay for this Free feature, even as a Loyal and long term user here..

Priority

This is the news we have all been anticipating for months! I'm beyond excited and can't even express my excitement regarding this feature finally being added for Existing Customers!

No I hadn't seen it yet @LitlLdy, thank you for tagging me it just made my day. 

Thank you so much @J_PM for going above and beyond to make The Community aware of the new changes and available features. 

Going to test things out shortly, I'll report back with any issues or bugs. 😁

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , thank you for notifying Us! 🤗 

Maybe someday eSIM will be free to switch to for existing Customers 😉. Ya, I know that’s asking for a bit much 🙂 It is still free for new Customers!

Edit: @Priority , did you see this post? I thought it might interest you & those you help 🙂

@DennyCrane  I’m old fashioned at heart and resistant to change . I prefer physical sim . Not a fan of eSIM or electric cars . But it’s the future unfortunately 

@Handy1 Yeah, there are definitely benefits. I use a travel esim which is amazing. I can set it up at home so that when I land I just turn it on. Also it effectively gives us dual sim functionality on phones that would otherwise be single sim devices. But my esim provider actually gives them for free.

@DennyCrane  It’s a $ grab . But at least if phones became all eSIM . We just have to pay the price to get new eSIM and keep phone number plan and rewards most importantly 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Progress, but disappointing you can't transfer an e-sim between phones yet.

For those that remember CDMA days, you had to pay to change phones every time, which is effectively what's happening here. Physical sim cards solved that problem and gave we, the customers, much greater flexibility. In many ways esim is a step backwards.

This is Very Important

JRod

Yes! You need to view the QR code on a separate device. I have my QR code in the welcome email I received from PM when I signed up with an eSIM. I’m currently trying to track down the page to see it on the account portal. I’ll update this comment with my findings. 

EDIT: From what I can see, you can can only find the QR code in the welcome email as it’s a backup option for setting up eSIM if downloading your eSIM does not work through the app and the steps that it walks you through. Seems like you can’t find it beyond that as it’s only designed to be a one time use in the initial setup. I edited my original reply to reflect this. 

Just curious, Where would the QR Code be located?

If you have to have it on the Phone, surely how can the Phone scan the QR Code?

Where in the Desktop PM Portal is that located?

JRod

That’s a great idea! I can’t speak for how the experience is on android phones but when setting up the eSIM on my iPhone it was an incredibly smooth and easy process through the app. The app walked you through the steps until your phone’s operating system takes over. 

EDIT: Editing my comment as per the FAQ if you accidentally delete your eSIM profile you do indeed have to contact support to setup another one. You cannot use the previous QR code as I originally thought. 

If I delete my eSIM profile from one phone, can I restore the same eSIM again

No, once an eSIM profile is deleted from the phone, you cannot restore the same eSIM profile again into another phone or on the same phone. You will need to purchase a new eSIM by contacting a Customer Support Agent here.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , That at least is very Much the Awesome Idea

I must ask though, Could PM perhaps have an Vid Tutorial on the Process?

This way, for those who have never done this before, The Knowledge of the Proper steps, especially when at the critical stages, like when to press 2x in the critical stages?

Some ppl might make some missteps, and that could cause errors or If one accidently erases an E-Sim and not realizing, that can cause someone to having to pay for another E-Sim If it was not necessary

JRod

Sounds like I joined at the right time! Got my number ported and setup with my eSIM yesterday through the app, was an incredibly smooth process for me. Nice work! 

Jano22
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks so much!!! Big help 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM  And keep there same phone number and plan and rewards 

That's correct. They can repurchase a new eSIM for their new phone. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @J_PM 

just to confirm, if eSIM is installed, can people pay and request a new eSIM to be installed on another phone? 

smp999
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nice. Glad to see this addressed. Now we need to wait for an existing customer to test this out to see how simple the install is. 

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@Handy1 We hear you completely, transfer is actually on our radar! 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

both new and existing subscribers

@J_PM 

YEAH!!!! GREAT news to many of us !!!

CharlieWhisky
Mayor / Maire

Great news, we needed this!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM  thanks for the update . Many have been waiting for this moment . This will make the day of many people I’m sure 🙂

Adding . But you still can’t transfer eSIM from one phone to a new one . This is still disappointing then and not really that great of news  to me 

Need Help? Let's chat.