cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re expanding our Oracle team!

Melinda_H
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share - we're looking to grow our Oracle program!

As Public Mobile continues to grow and expand, we're hoping to do the same with our Oracle program; not only are we looking for new and exciting opportunities for Oracles to get more involved with the Community and with Public Mobile, we are also looking to expand our Oracle team. 

We're looking to add passionate, knowledgeable Oracles to the team, and we would especially love to add diversity and representation from those that are bilingual French speakers, so we can better support our Community. 

The Oracle program is designed to recognize our most active and helpful Community members who are passionate and knowledgeable about all things Public Mobile, enjoy helping others, and are interested in providing feedback & participating in ideation with Public Mobile.

This time around, we'll be trying something new and will be using an application process to allow all who are interested to apply should you meet the criteria below:

Who we're looking for:

• Friendly, welcoming, positive individuals that want to make the Community a better place & help others
  • An active member of the Community for the past 12 months (you should be a top 25% contributor or higher for roughly 9 of the last 12 months)
  • Someone who is able to take on a minimum commitment of 1 year to the Oracle program
  • Individuals who want to be representatives of the Public Mobile Community, and who maintain and uphold our Community guidelines

Our expectations of Oracles:

Oracles are expected to be an active, involved member of the Community, and will be responsible for:

• Providing Community support such as answering questions and helping other members
  • Maintaining the Community by keeping it organized
  • Providing feedback & participating in beta testing and research sessions with Public Mobile 

What’s in it for you:

• Being the first to know about official Public Mobile news
  • Sneak-peeks at new Public Mobile projects and initiatives
  • Opportunities to provide feedback and weigh in on upcoming Public Mobile projects
  • Events with the Public Mobile team
  • Occasional Public Mobile swag
  • Oracle Community badge 
  • Unique Community privileges 
  • And last, but not least, a $20 Community Reward every 30 days!

Does the above sound like something you'd be interested in? If so, we'd love to hear from you via our application form here; please apply by Thursday December 3rd. We will be reaching out to the successful candidates later in the month to chat about next steps! 

- Public Mobile Community Team

227 REPLIES 227

@Melinda_H 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure pm wants this announcement to encourage all interested to apply vs discouraging members because  they think they dont qualify......due to time constraints or the "wishlist" of qualities pm would like the applicants to possess. One only needs some of them not all of them to be considered. Best of luck to all those who apply and the eventual shortlist of qualified candidates

@Melinda_H 

That's good to hear because the first post does make it sound as if Oracle are almost required to participate in all activities. I can say that I did feel some perceived obligations and expectations even before this annoucement (even if was just by me), which may have been a factor in me giving up the badge.  I also suspect that there are at least a couple other former members of the group who felt the same way.

@Melinda_H Thank you very much for the information! Enjoy the rest of your day 🙂

Melinda_H
Customer Support Agent

@Jb456 There is no obligation in participating in feedback sessions or using video chat in them. We will typically have a quarterly update session with all the Oracles, but in terms of focus groups or feedback sessions, there is no regular cadence; as we work on new and exciting projects and launches, opportunities to participate in feedback sessions will be shared with the Oracles when they arise.

@Melinda_H  Thanks for the clarifications!

Melinda_H
Customer Support Agent

Hi Community,

I thought I would clear up some a couple things & answer some questions on this post.

• It's not a perfect process and I realize it's a less personal method than what was previously done, but this time around we wanted to try something different by allowing applications rather than nominations or invitations in order to be more inclusive, and will be taking into consideration that not all aspects of being a great contributor are based purely off of the leaderboard or monthly rewards. That being said, we certainly appreciate all contributors, and especially all our regular contributors to our Community for all that they do in helping others, and would encourage those who may be interested to apply 🙂 

• We've heard feedback in the past that there wasn't enough clarity and structure when it comes to the Oracle program, which I have been working with the Oracles to define & clarify. The intent of expectations section was to provide some clarity into the role. To address some of the concerns here, the Oracle role is definitely a volunteer position and there are no obligations or requirements to spending a specific amount of time on the Community, or an obligation to participate in any feedback sessions.

I recognize the Oracle program has not been without its flaws, but I am hoping to work with the Oracles (old and new) to improve it and better serve the Community 🙂

Mattredwingsfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

this is fantastic news, we are always growing and this is a great sign

Good Luck & Cheers,

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious  Sure, once PM gets the weasel out of the hen house..... and Telus adds another cell tower in the neighbourhood.

@CFPartDeux 

That would be your winback offer......

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Thank goodness you finally showed to your mr. fix it work! I thought I was going to have to fix it for mr. fix it to have it fixed for @RosieR  and we couldnt have that! You've found your niche in the community. Play your cards right and you can spin that into one of your tasks as an oracle!

OOOOOHHHH, silly me, I didn't realize PM was looking for an Oracle with a very specific skillset...... does that one have a unique title too..... something with "jester" in it? So..... uhm..... what would I do with my monthly $20 credit..... donate it to a charitable cause? 🤔 😉

@CFPartDeux 

Thank goodness you finally showed to your mr. fix it work! I thought I was going to have to fix it for mr. fix it to have it fixed for @RosieR  and we couldnt have that! You've found your niche in the community. Play your cards right and you can spin that into one of your tasks as an oracle!

@computergeek541  Thanks for the reply!.

Ya david_j never did update that thread a few weeks ago about the quote button when he responded to my post. Maybe new years PM will give us a surprise and it will come back lol.

Removing pictures on Chrome no problem however on Firefox I want to break my phone. I don't understand why Firefox is so annoying on this site. 

Have a good night and put your phone away!

@Jb456 

I actually wasn't online, or at least not using this website when you posted your last message. Sometimes, I do look around without logging in. I need to learn to put my phone away for the night.

Editing and merging can be done using a mobile browser. As you know, the quote function doesn't work when using some cell phone browsers. Also, I've also had a difficult time and can almost never successfully remove an image when browsing on my phone.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541  since you're online and answered my calling in question. 

When you edit / merge posts. Can you accomplish this on a phone or you need to to be on a PC? I am asking as I do 99% of my postings on a phone. Only PC lately if I need to use that darn quote button (which is rare) 

Thanks!

CFPartDeux

@RosieR wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  Just reading the application. For now at least....I only skimmed through it when it was first posted.

@Jb456 you are the best candidate to represent the community:

1. first and foremost, you are not a pushover 
  2. you are not a yes man.. you can say "Stay Safe!" if need be Fixed this one for you. 😉
  3. you will insist that changes be made to the betterment of the PM community
  4. you are present in the forums almost everyday (if not everyday) ready and willing to help fellow customers 
  5. you share your knowledge willingly because you want to
  6. you are very articulate without being sarcastic (that I know of)
  7. we love you in the community... ok maybe me and one other HEY, you weren't supposed to out me THIS way! 😆
  8. you never quit.  you keep on going until the cows come home Jb DOES drink a lot of milk, and eat a lot of steaks.....
  9. you have always been in the top 1-5% (not sure)
  10. you have been an active member since 2018 

You are that and much much more.  😎

@Nezgar  and after reading this post from you. Which by the way all your posts are detailed and informative that I read.

Screenshot_20201129_024416.jpg

I do not see any reason you shouldn't apply. Go for it and see what comes out of it 😃

This is exactly what I meant before. You take the time to compose a message. While composing (if it was day time) someone posting one liners "contact mods" that's been said 4 times already probably would have been 5 to 10 posts ahead of you with nothing really helpful that was not said already.

Then look at Nezgar and bam got 4 informative posts back to back.

If this was a voting platform not an application platform you'd be one on my vote list 👍

@Nezgar 

I think the time commitment point is part of the reason pm wants to expand the team or at least fill the positions left vacant by the retirement of @SD08 and @stonechucker. Technically @computergeek541 position is open as well but the community is hardly suffering from his lack of participation. By filling these empty seats and possibly created another couple helps spread the "tasks" expected to be handled by oracles among more team members so it remains a volunteer position that it still brings joy to the oracles to be involved in monitoring the community not the drudgery of obligations and the flack it can cause/create.

Much of the time commitment comes from meetings, beta testing, feedback and inner discussions and other behind the scenes contributions we never see or hear about. If the team expands by say 3 to 5 members that presumably opens up the same amount of positions in the higher top % contributors levels. Effectively achieving "financial parity " for certain members ( like yourself) which my frequent complaint of deserving members being lumped into the same reward level as a member who casually posts a few days of the month in the right threads by dumb luck or calculated reasoning.

If you are interested apply and see what happens.....and at the very least you'll find out what the criteria pm really requires and you will be prepared the next time there is an opening if the time isnt right for you to assume the responsibility now.

@Nezgar  the difference with you. (I hope no one reading takes offence to this) is that regardless of what badges you earn you provide detailed , informative, helpful posts. You also take it a step further with all that great voicemail and other testing stuff. Which is why I said in one post I wished PM had reviewed members & had discussions with Oracle's and whoever met their expectations were privately messaged.

My comment "hey almost anyone can apply" was more geared towards the people hitting 25% for just posting anything.

The PM reward system does not calculate if a post is extremely detailed and informative or if it's simply a "Thank you" to the system it's a post. Which is why you see new members asking their own questions. Like "My apns are greyed out" hitting the 25% mark. Why? because it ended up being a 12 page thread and multiple responses to each individual person that wrote trying to help them. "I tried that" "Thank you but that didn't work" "how do I get this apn config file" "thanks" "thanks" "thanks".

Do that a few days a week for an hour or two you may even hit the $5 reward. Then you have someone with not to many posts but actually really good, well written, detailed posts, getting solutions earning a dollar. Because the system goes by number of posts mostly.

I know based on year criteria 9 badges of 25% my example above would be excluded for not meeting the criteria but there are some that (don't do that) but actually answer posts (one liners or just join on big topic discussion) that do constantly hit the 25% mark. Should these posters be eligible to apply? 

That's more of what my comment was about.

@Jb456 wrote:

But then turn around and basically say. "Hey almost anyone can apply as long as you been here a year and at least 25% reward"

Heh, while I consider myself fairly active here, checking my rewards for the last 11 months, I see I'm just over half between 10% and 25% each month... As much as I would enjoy being part of the "inner circle", I'd worry about not being able to commit enough time for expectations, and it turning into work vs pleasure...

It’s quite similar to that feeling you have right now after having lined up numerous friends and family all set to hook them and reel them in with the Black Friday New Customer Deals of the Year.

AE_Collector

@Jb456 

The section of the application youre having trouble with is the psychological part of the form. Its really just testing your patience level to see how easily you get frustrated, flustered or freak out, It then analyzes your problem solving skills, your ability to recognize when you need help, communication with others and fortitude with tasks. You'll figure it out.......

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@RosieR 

Why are you interested in becoming an Oracle? (in 300 words or less) 

RosieR told me to.

Why do you think you would make a good Oracle (in 300 words or less) 

See RosieR post on the application thread. She listed 10 points!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

@RosieR  Although not needed I thank you for the lovely words. Again not needed but appreciated.

You're probably right on number 7 😂. Before your time on these forums without going into detail there was much tension in the lounge no less due to some Oracle's using their special privileges and status in not a nice way (or at least a few normal members felt this way) and well than your number 2 point kicked in 🤷‍♂️

Have a good evening!

@Jb456 wrote:

Well this is no fun. First the application is not really mobile user friendly (have to rotate) and now I can't select more then one thing in the same column? 😤

Screenshot_20201128_204359.jpg

LOL you expected this to go smoother than almost everything else around here? You have to “work at” being here to save money and you have to “work at” applying for the Oracle position!

AE_Collector

@gpixel  it does when forcing into desktop mode. Just another extra step. Lol. I'm just annoyed reading this application that's all 😂. Maybe I am reading it wrong, which I usually do, just like when you post something 5 people take it the wrong way as it's just text. You write something meant to be a joke and people take it the wrong way based on how they perceive the words 🙄.

Anyways what I'm reading on that section. Since you can't pick same column for multiple answers. You can't technically pick 1 for answering questions and 1 for moving posts (although not said in application I assume editing posts is in that category)

To me answering questions, merging / editing posts, should all be one together. Then again, like I said, I'm probably reading it wrong.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  Just reading the application. For now at least....I only skimmed through it when it was first posted.

@Jb456 you are the best candidate to represent the community:

1. first and foremost, you are not a pushover 
  2. you are not a yes man.. you can say "Shove it!" if need be
  3. you will insist that changes be made to the betterment of the PM community
  4. you are present in the forums almost everyday (if not everyday) ready and willing to help fellow customers 
  5. you share your knowledge willingly because you want to
  6. you are very articulate without being sarcastic (that I know of)
  7. we love you in the community... ok maybe me and one other
  8. you never quit.  you keep on going until the cows come home
  9. you have always been in the top 1-5% (not sure)
  10. you have been an active member since 2018 

You are that and much much more.  😎

@Jb456 your phone doesn't allow you to swipe to the left to view more columns?

@Anonymous 

Exactly.

Need Help? Let's chat.