cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re expanding our Oracle team!

Melinda_H
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share - we're looking to grow our Oracle program!

As Public Mobile continues to grow and expand, we're hoping to do the same with our Oracle program; not only are we looking for new and exciting opportunities for Oracles to get more involved with the Community and with Public Mobile, we are also looking to expand our Oracle team. 

We're looking to add passionate, knowledgeable Oracles to the team, and we would especially love to add diversity and representation from those that are bilingual French speakers, so we can better support our Community. 

The Oracle program is designed to recognize our most active and helpful Community members who are passionate and knowledgeable about all things Public Mobile, enjoy helping others, and are interested in providing feedback & participating in ideation with Public Mobile.

This time around, we'll be trying something new and will be using an application process to allow all who are interested to apply should you meet the criteria below:

Who we're looking for:

• Friendly, welcoming, positive individuals that want to make the Community a better place & help others
  • An active member of the Community for the past 12 months (you should be a top 25% contributor or higher for roughly 9 of the last 12 months)
  • Someone who is able to take on a minimum commitment of 1 year to the Oracle program
  • Individuals who want to be representatives of the Public Mobile Community, and who maintain and uphold our Community guidelines

Our expectations of Oracles:

Oracles are expected to be an active, involved member of the Community, and will be responsible for:

• Providing Community support such as answering questions and helping other members
  • Maintaining the Community by keeping it organized
  • Providing feedback & participating in beta testing and research sessions with Public Mobile 

What’s in it for you:

• Being the first to know about official Public Mobile news
  • Sneak-peeks at new Public Mobile projects and initiatives
  • Opportunities to provide feedback and weigh in on upcoming Public Mobile projects
  • Events with the Public Mobile team
  • Occasional Public Mobile swag
  • Oracle Community badge 
  • Unique Community privileges 
  • And last, but not least, a $20 Community Reward every 30 days!

Does the above sound like something you'd be interested in? If so, we'd love to hear from you via our application form here; please apply by Thursday December 3rd. We will be reaching out to the successful candidates later in the month to chat about next steps! 

- Public Mobile Community Team

227 REPLIES 227

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

@kb_mvhaha  from 2016 no thank you. Lol.

@Jb456 You know you get stickers with that right?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mvhaha  from 2016 no thank you. Lol.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Now if they threw in a brand new cell. (A decent one, not cheapy) I'd consider lol.

@Jb456 How about a brand new to you, refurbished iPhone SE?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Now if they threw in a brand new cell. (A decent one, not cheapy) I'd consider lol.

@srlawren wrote:@Anonymous I couldn't agree more.  It sounds like the oracle role is changing more and more to a part-time job with no pay.  (Would anyone here be willing to work a job that took more than an hour or two a month for $20/month?  I doubt it.)  I'm not sure why anyone would step up at this point. I know I'm quite grateful I stepped down when I did.

@srlawren @Anonymous I can't imagine doing all that work for $20 and on top of that seeing people suggesting that they should also arrange among themselves to cover 24/7. The moderators whose job it is to be here don't even cover that. It's nice that the Oracles like to come on here, help out, clean up, sudo moderate etc. It's easy for me, sitting in the cheap seats, to suggest that they should be here 24/7 out of the goodness of their heart (I mean they do get stickers right????). By having them arrange to be here 24/7 you are making it a job and a very poorly paid one at that. Generally they are here when they manage and I appreciate all they do and learn from them when I can.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

Who would want this responsibility and can meet the criteria all for a mere 20 bucks and some brand swag? Are the other intangibles worth it?

As a paid job maybe. But for 20 bucks and these occasional public airing of grievances??...

I certainly don't think it all needs to be nearly as formal as it's being made out to be for the $20.

@Anonymous I couldn't agree more.  It sounds like the oracle role is changing more and more to a part-time job with no pay.  (Would anyone here be willing to work a job that took more than an hour or two a month for $20/month?  I doubt it.)  I'm not sure why anyone would step up at this point. I know I'm quite grateful I stepped down when I did.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Ideally this could be a bold red message that comes up the first several times a user posts anything on the forum and then stops as they have stayed around and posted more frequently. 99% of these errors in judgement when posting will be posts from new members on the community who have a problem so post too much info. This is assuming that it would be take more sophisticated software to recognize and respond to patterns of email address and phone numbers being posted. 

AE_Collector

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@sa7375 wrote:

@RosieR 

Pardon my disagreeing to agree. The fencing at the Golden Gate bridge hasn't eliminated suicides, nor will the omnipresence of a moderator stop people posting personal info on this forum. 

I'll however endorse your view to a degree by suggesting to @Melinda_H to improve the community software, so that when a person is scripting a post, a red warning sign be flashed to display "Please do not post any personal info, like your name, phone number etc."

Despite that extra caution though I'm sure some will still jump! 😊

@Melinda_H   I do think this is a very important point that there should be some sort of warning users get before they start posting their personal information, especially since new users maybe totally unaware that this forum is open to anyone who happens to be online.  

I would add this warning should also be there when potential customers are selecting their Community username with a warning to never use their real name or tel. number as their username. 

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Interesting opportunity, not quite there yet myself!

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@RosieR 

Pardon my disagreeing to agree. The fencing at the Golden Gate bridge hasn't eliminated suicides, nor will the omnipresence of a moderator stop people posting personal info on this forum. 

I'll however endorse your view to a degree by suggesting to @Melinda_H to improve the community software, so that when a person is scripting a post, a red warning sign be flashed to display "Please do not post any personal info, like your name, phone number etc."

Despite that extra caution though I'm sure some will still jump! 😊

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Jb456 wrote:

Maybe a bit old but some PM swag you could expect.

*Taken from public photos from members*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

@Jb456  They get stickers????? Hmmmmm...... Tempting.....

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

post removed by Public Mobile 🙄

Stay Safe!   ™Jb456   😉 😁

@darlicious  Oh Darn Darl. 😱😱😝

No more. Stay safe!

Done. Said. Out in the open. Now we can move forward and heal as a community. If I see it I'll say it.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Maybe a bit old but some PM swag you could expect.

*Taken from public photos from members*

PMLoot_Jan2019.jpg

20191211_133743.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

They want applicants to have a certain criteria than current Oracle's should have a certain criteria to maintain their status as well. It's only fair.  Now that there is a Lead dedicated to the Oracle Program that is what we have been working on with them over the past little while

Then maybe darlicious is right and what computergeek541 was driving at. Who would want this responsibility and can meet the criteria all for a mere 20 bucks and some brand swag? Are the other intangibles worth it?

As a paid job maybe. But for 20 bucks and these occasional public airing of grievances??...

I certainly don't think it all needs to be nearly as formal as it's being made out to be for the $20.

I guess we'll see.

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13  And I don't need to remind you of April's episode when an Oracle used their Oracle privileges in the lounge no less on their own thread but can't do it on normal posts.

Stay safe!

As it was brought up during that time the Moving of the posts in that thread was not done by the OP of that thread.   That also lead to someone abusing the edit function and removing large amounts of content from the community

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Replies in Red

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13  Yes Shawn. Everyone is busy and everyone appreciates when you guys are online. If you're out or at work and not able to do a "task" (which you're not required to do but have those special privileges to do so) that is completely understandable.

What I am trying to say is that there has been many occasions where I see certain Oracle's posting on numerous threads for an hour while that whole time there is a thread sitting there that's a duplicate thread and they have been tagged to merge (yes I know some judge a duplicate thread differently) but when it's almost or same title and same topic it's clearly a duplicate they should be doing the task instead of leaving it for another Oracle. You kind of have to do some work to earn that free $20 or why even be an oracle? There is plenty of time put in by the Oracles that isn't seen in the Community.  The whole Oracle area is threads back and forth between PM and the Oracles on all sorts of different topics, there are conference calls/google meets meetings.  So I wouldn't say it is a free $20

You have one team member that has like 80 posts since beginning of October many posts on same topic. I am not sure if I have 80 posts in the main community since the beginning of October, and everyones situation is different, could be working 2 jobs or shift work or school and work but still contribute when they can.

Must be nice to collect a free $20 for 80 posts. Same as the last time when a few Oracle's were removed. One collected a free $20 for like 4/5 months without even being on the forums. I won't go into particulars but those Oracles retired and did you know that one of the Oracles made their intentions very clear about stepping down to PM probably 5/6 months before they were removed

So really before anything I think the current ones should be reviewed. PM wants coast to coast Oracle's as they expand for support. Well maybe they would have support if they cleaned up a bit on the current Oracle's. 

They want applicants to have a certain criteria than current Oracle's should have a certain criteria to maintain their status as well. It's only fair.  Now that there is a Lead dedicated to the Oracle Program that is what we have been working on with them over the past little while

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13  And I don't need to remind you of April's episode when an Oracle used their Oracle privileges in the lounge no less on their own thread but can't do it on normal posts.

Stay safe!

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13  Yes Shawn. Everyone is busy and everyone appreciates when you guys are online. If you're out or at work and not able to do a "task" (which you're not required to do but have those special privileges to do so) that is completely understandable.

What I am trying to say is that there has been many occasions where I see certain Oracle's posting on numerous threads for an hour while that whole time there is a thread sitting there that's a duplicate thread and they have been tagged to merge (yes I know some judge a duplicate thread differently) but when it's almost or same title and same topic it's clearly a duplicate they should be doing the task instead of leaving it for another Oracle. You kind of have to do some work to earn that free $20 or why even be an oracle?

You have one team member that has like 80 posts since beginning of October many posts on same topic. 

Must be nice to collect a free $20 for 80 posts. Same as the last time when a few Oracle's were removed. One collected a free $20 for like 4/5 months without even being on the forums.

So really before anything I think the current ones should be reviewed. PM wants coast to coast Oracle's as they expand for support. Well maybe they would have support if they cleaned up a bit on the current Oracle's.

They want applicants to have a certain criteria than current Oracle's should have a certain criteria to maintain their status as well. It's only fair.

oh wow!  @Jb456  speak my language. I agree... it's only fair 

old woman with sign.jpg

After reading thru this thread I wouldn't be surprised if there were exactly zero (0) applications.

What I am trying to say is that there has been many occasions where I see certain Oracle's posting on numerous threads for an hour while that whole time there is a thread sitting there that's a duplicate thread and they have been tagged to merge (yes I know some judge a duplicate thread differently) but when it's almost or same title and same topic it's clearly a duplicate they should be doing the task instead of leaving it for another Oracle. You kind of have to do some work to earn that free $20 or why even be an oracle?

You have one team member that has like 80 posts since beginning of October many posts on same topic. 

Must be nice to collect a free $20 for 80 posts. Same as the last time when a few Oracle's were removed. One collected a free $20 for like 4/5 months without even being on the forums.

They want applicants to have a certain criteria than current Oracle's should have a certain criteria to maintain their status as well. It's only fair.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Rosie did have a valid point tho. What are Oracle's tasks? I've asked that in April as well and basically seems like do whatever they want and collect a free $20. 

This is from the original post in this thread.

ShawnC13_0-1606446313719.png

This is a significant change to the way the role of Oracles is described. When I was asked to join the ranks, none of this was stated in the private message from Public Mobile to me. I was told that would have the option/ability to participate in sessions and there was mention of continuing to be active member, but there was zero mention of forum organization, and it wasn't until after I stepped down that I was asked if I would like to maintain those abilities to help keep the site orgnized. However, this wording in this annoucement kind of makes these actions to be obligations.

Yes since Melinda took over as Oracle Lead there have been some sessions working on the Oracle Program on our connects.  There is more that I am sure would be supplied to the people being considered for the positions

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

Rosie did have a valid point tho. What are Oracle's tasks? I've asked that in April as well and basically seems like do whatever they want and collect a free $20. 

This is a significant change to the way the role of Oracles is described. When I was asked to join the ranks, none of this was stated in the private message from Public Mobile to me. I was told that would have the option/ability to participate in sessions and there was mention of continuing to be active member, but there was zero mention of forum organization, and it wasn't until after I stepped down that I was asked if I would like to maintain those abilities to help keep the site organized. However, this wording in this annoucement kind of makes these actions to be obligations.

@Jb456 wrote:

@ShawnC13  Shawn (not shawny boy) I apologize.

• Maintaining the community and keeping it organized

Hmm

Editing personal info🤔

Merging duplicate posts🤔

Making solutions 🤔

Correct, when I see it I can do something about it.  If I am tagged and not able to make it to the forum like if I am at work or something I am not required to respond.  There are people that are able to spend more time on here than I and have got most if not all taken care of when I do get on.  This is why PM feels like adding more as well just to have more available people to take care of these items.  One thing I will say I haven't done much of is mark solutions, I hope that people will come back and mark their own as the community does send out reminder emails to see if the person has found their answer.

@ShawnC13  Shawn (not shawny boy) I apologize.

• Maintaining the community and keeping it organized

Hmm

Editing personal info🤔

Merging duplicate posts🤔

Making solutions 🤔

@Jb456 wrote:

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo  You're right. I did not really include you as you have always been straight arrow and don't take things personal. Unlike some that when I get off kilter (or however that is pronounced) get all in a tissy. Then it's the same Oracle names jumping down your throat. 

The only point I am trying to get across is if there is 5 Oracle's. They (Yes I know you guys say it's not my job but I do it) should be doing the same tasks. Not one merging (by the way I'm on a cell phone as I type and have 6 windows open and an excel file) not one marking solutions, not one or two taking things personal as an attack on them and not one using these special privileges (as some Oracle's kindly reminded me on this thread) for there very own benefits and not the benefits of the community.

I know you're a busy man but when you do have time to come in the forum's you treat everyone with the upmost respect and respond straight arrow with a bit of joking or smiley face as it should be. I can't say the same for others unfortunately and that's why I believe prior to adding new Oracle's to the mix there should be a review on the current ones. I'd hope the current ones don't take offence to my comment (they really shouldn't) but you know things here don't always go that way. 

@RosieR : I agree. I think Jb456 would be terrific. Then he can edit 'til his heart's content. No Jb456...I don't think just anybody should be able to edit anybody else's post. You're asking to be a moderator (Oracle). I think you would be great.

@Anonymous yes JB would be a great forum moderator.  He is always here and ready to help and won't stop helping until he is understood or the poster understood his lecture.. or until the cows come home. jk JB.  Although JB is an excellent candidate for oracle, he said he just want to be able to edit personal information. lol

Need Help? Let's chat.