cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re expanding our Oracle team!

Melinda_H
Customer Support Agent

Hey Community,

We have some exciting news to share - we're looking to grow our Oracle program!

As Public Mobile continues to grow and expand, we're hoping to do the same with our Oracle program; not only are we looking for new and exciting opportunities for Oracles to get more involved with the Community and with Public Mobile, we are also looking to expand our Oracle team. 

We're looking to add passionate, knowledgeable Oracles to the team, and we would especially love to add diversity and representation from those that are bilingual French speakers, so we can better support our Community. 

The Oracle program is designed to recognize our most active and helpful Community members who are passionate and knowledgeable about all things Public Mobile, enjoy helping others, and are interested in providing feedback & participating in ideation with Public Mobile.

This time around, we'll be trying something new and will be using an application process to allow all who are interested to apply should you meet the criteria below:

Who we're looking for:

• Friendly, welcoming, positive individuals that want to make the Community a better place & help others
  • An active member of the Community for the past 12 months (you should be a top 25% contributor or higher for roughly 9 of the last 12 months)
  • Someone who is able to take on a minimum commitment of 1 year to the Oracle program
  • Individuals who want to be representatives of the Public Mobile Community, and who maintain and uphold our Community guidelines

Our expectations of Oracles:

Oracles are expected to be an active, involved member of the Community, and will be responsible for:

• Providing Community support such as answering questions and helping other members
  • Maintaining the Community by keeping it organized
  • Providing feedback & participating in beta testing and research sessions with Public Mobile 

What’s in it for you:

• Being the first to know about official Public Mobile news
  • Sneak-peeks at new Public Mobile projects and initiatives
  • Opportunities to provide feedback and weigh in on upcoming Public Mobile projects
  • Events with the Public Mobile team
  • Occasional Public Mobile swag
  • Oracle Community badge 
  • Unique Community privileges 
  • And last, but not least, a $20 Community Reward every 30 days!

Does the above sound like something you'd be interested in? If so, we'd love to hear from you via our application form here; please apply by Thursday December 3rd. We will be reaching out to the successful candidates later in the month to chat about next steps! 

- Public Mobile Community Team

227 REPLIES 227

@Anonymous I think people are reading more into this than is there.  I read this as tasks that I have the ability to do but I don't have to commit 3 hours a day to do them.  As she is the program lead maybe @Melinda_H  can chime in and give some more info on the program as it isn't as rigid as people are reading it too be

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 : whoever on the Oracle team, or with the company, that drove this method of applying for this thing hadn't thought it through. Too many rules and obligations by way of all the defined task descriptions. Sounds like an authoritarian made this happen. For a little power and a little status and of course the little compensation, all the rules and obligations removes the volunteer aspect...it's a job.

If I were interested then I would prefer to do this under far less rigid circumstances.

I think that's the reason for the lack of excitement. It should have been by open nomination like the last time. Then they get a shortlist and invite from there.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There is enough discord already with the current reward structure, it is illusory to think that free phones would ever be added to the pot.  It would be nice, but I just don't see it happening.  We save enough with the cheap plans and rewards that we can treat ourselves to hardware with the savings once in a while.

@mimmo  I agree I was hoping to see some great excitement in this thread at the new opportunity and there has been some but not what I thought it would be.  

Still hoping that interested people are putting in the application, yes it is a bit different than in the past.  The original couple of groups were approached by PM, the next couple intakes were by nomination from the community and now we have an application process.  So if it is something you want go out and get it don't wait for it to come to you. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@computergeek541  @ShawnC13 

Let me clarify "the ability to voice my opinion." I certainly dont disagree with being in an oracle position that your thoughts and opinions on matters concerning pm would be heard loud and clear and possibly taken with greater weight and consideration than the average member. This of course is a distinct perk of an oracle and would be on the "pro" list of being an oracle if you are passionate about certain projects or agendas (like i am about the social side of the community.)

However "If i see something I'll say something." I can often have an opinion that can be unwanted,  controversial, unpopular, outrageous or the very opposite......but not one a representative of pm should be voicing in the community and that is not something i think I could give up. Just like sending customers to use simon I do it occassionally with regret. I fully advocate for the use of private message for moderator contact and I know this is not the method pm prefers....... these are opinions I would have trouble stifling......and others that you have run into reading my posts.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Jb456 

We both missed out on that free trip thankfully for some the pandemic got everyone uninvited. But a free phone that would definetly convince me to apply! How I incorporate that statiscally into my next thread bemoaning the reward structure I am not sure.....giving up my ability to voice my opinion is priceless. No amount of free swag, rewards, free trips, phones or otherwise would convince me.

To be a good oracle is a calling and those who possess that quality know who they are and can easily see in others if they also have that altrustic characteristic or not. I wish the best to all those who apply who believe they possess it too......

I am not sure how you would see this as not being able to voice your opinion?!?!?  You would be given the opportunity to work closely with PM on issues and bring up concerns as you are giving more opportunity to connect with PM

Sometimes, I might have given Public Mobile some benefit of doubt, but you can still voice your opinion. Your opinion might even get something changed, as they might be more noticeable to the Public Mobile staff.  I've found that before if I had an opinion, even if it's something that Public Mobile wouldn't have liked, this would sometimes get posted in an Oracle discussion category.  The difference now is that I no longer have access to that, so to express myself, these opinions are now available for all members to see.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jb456 in PM's defence the reason I believe they made it open to everyone was to be more inclusive for anyone who was interested rather than just going off the leader board.

That being the case I believe however the list of possible candidates no matter the criteria is pretty small, no matter what method is chosen. 

I believe some of the comments in this thread, which should have been a rather positive and exciting, showcase some of the deeper issues in the Oracle program an possibly PM as a whole.

@darlicious wrote:

@Jb456 

We both missed out on that free trip thankfully for some the pandemic got everyone uninvited. But a free phone that would definetly convince me to apply! How I incorporate that statiscally into my next thread bemoaning the reward structure I am not sure.....giving up my ability to voice my opinion is priceless. No amount of free swag, rewards, free trips, phones or otherwise would convince me.

To be a good oracle is a calling and those who possess that quality know who they are and can easily see in others if they also have that altrustic characteristic or not. I wish the best to all those who apply who believe they possess it too......

I am not sure how you would see this as not being able to voice your opinion?!?!?  You would be given the opportunity to work closely with PM on issues and bring up concerns as you are giving more opportunity to connect with PM

@computergeek541 

Screenshot_20201127_185450.jpg

If it was not a silly apply process like PM is doing this round it would be a nice gesture for all current Oracle's and the new ones. The apply process should have been more personal.

I think they should have just reviewed active users, discussed with current Oracle's in your forums and then sent out private invites to apply if they wanted to. Instead of opening it up to almost everyone. That's more of a personal touch.

"Hey we noticed you are an active helpful member of the community. We have positions in our Oracle program available. Here's a link if you want to apply. Thank you for all the help and support you provide to members!"

Then once whoever gets picked and current Oracle's get options to choose a new phone for their effort for however long they been on the forums. Top Tier phones for all current Oracle's that have been an Oracle /Retired for years and mid tier phone for the new hires.

No harm in asking 😁

@Jb456 

@CFPartDeux  here I made my badge 

4Q0H01606522101.jpg

@Jb456 wrote:

Now if they threw in a brand new cell. (A decent one, not cheapy) I'd consider lol.

That would be nice, but with the debates that sometimes occur because of the Community rewards, could you imagine what would happen when people want to gain entry to the program if that was something like that was done?  

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

What an exciting announcement! I'm still relatively new to Public Mobile but it's great to provide such an opportunity to the community members. Good luck to those who are interested in this super important role!

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

It is all about helping people, the rewards are a bonus and a nice one at that

Sure, except that all the stipulations that you and the Oracle team and the company want to impose make it into an obligatory duty which means a job which in this case means a poorly compensated one.

I won't get into some stuff publicly, but I will say that Public Mobile was given the feedback that I did not want to be made to feel obligated to perform tasks that I didn't wish to or attend sessions that I wasn't interested in. I was never told stuff such as "you must do this" or "your must participate in this activity",  but these changes to the program seem the exact opposiste of the feedback that I provided. Whether my sense of feeling oligations were real or simply the impression that I got, these changes aren't just a feeling.  What Public Mobile is expecting of Oracles is ridiculous, so much to the point, that I took a reward pay cut when I didn't have to.

@computergeek541  was only 9 to 5 or 8 to 5 that was the obligation. No biggie really! You still had all evening to go out with friends. Plus it would have been on a weekend in TDOT you don't just eat dinner and back to your hotel room lol.

It was 2 days I believe. Fly in fly out or option to stay the next day.

@Jb456 wrote:

Well I'm not no Oracle but at beginning of the year (around when Covid started) Tiana sent a message for an invite to Toronto for a PM 2 day event. They were offering to pay round trip flights, hotel for three nights, meet n greet, dinner and a party. So not a new top of the line flagship phone but a new mid tier phone should be doable since PM, Koodo, Telus are number one lol. $20 credit a month for tasks (a job), a few hours of meetings and a little star next to your name saying Oracle is not really enticing. My plans already free to middle of 2022 so don't need a free $20 for all the headaches that come with being an Oracle. 

I didn't see the trip as a vacation. This was offered to all Oracles too. I saw it as another obligation.  Yes, there were nice aspects such as meeting people, free dinner, and a room, but let's not forget that it was 3 full days of unpaid work.  I wasn't buying into it.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo  ooooohh hoodie's? Now we're talking!. I know you did not get yours but by chance you have a picture?

@CFPartDeux  Good idea 🤣

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am , @ShawnC13  when I be Me an oracle we just got the standard stickers no avatars or nothing.   The swag given must be diminishing on each iteration of new Oracle's.

That being said I'm still waiting for my PM hoodie that I never received because they didn't have my size.  I guess they forgot. 🙂

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jb456 wrote:

But those custom stickers sounds cool 😅

Well, when you get yours, just make sure they say:      Stay Safe!  ™Jb456

Well I'm not no Oracle but at beginning of the year (around when Covid started) Tiana sent a message for an invite to Toronto for a PM 2 day event. They were offering to pay round trip flights, hotel for three nights, meet n greet, dinner and a party. So not a new top of the line flagship phone but a new mid tier phone should be doable since PM, Koodo, Telus are number one lol. $20 credit a month for tasks (a job), a few hours of meetings and a little star next to your name saying Oracle is not really enticing. My plans already free to middle of 2022 so don't need a free $20 for all the headaches that come with being an Oracle. 

But those custom stickers sounds cool 😅

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@kb_mv  ya stickers to put on my new phone 😃

There is more truth to the stickers than you think.  I have a sheet of stickers with my avatar printed on it.  This is something money can't buy.

Don't forget the sticky notes

I don't recall getting any sticky notes.  It would not be something I would misplace.  My stickers are stored in a plastic sleeve.  I know exactly where they are.  

@ShawnC13 Sticky notes AND stickers? You're killing me!

Seriously though, in case it isn't said enough, despite all the grief and razzing we (meaning all the others on here) give you and the others, your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

@will13am wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

There is more truth to the stickers than you think.  I have a sheet of stickers with my avatar printed on it.  This is something money can't buy.

Don't forget the sticky notes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Sure, except that all the stipulations that you and the Oracle team and the company want to impose make it into an obligatory duty which means a job which in this case means a poorly compensated one.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Hi @ShawnC13 I agree.  That is exactly why I'm enjoying and excited being part of this community.  I am not a technical expert (LOLz far from it), but I like helping people whatever it takes.  This is what a volunteer does.  We volunteer because we are happy to do a job without monetary gains.  If one is being paid to do a job, then they are no longer volunteers.  If one volunteer to do a something, they should do the job because they are happy to do it.  If they are no longer happy doing the job that they volunteered for, then by all means step down. 

That's all I'm saying.  Stay safe, Shawn. 

@Jb456 wrote:

I have 2, maybe 3 BlackBerry Torches that I will give to the lucky winners of the Oracle contest! The Perks just keep coming! (I really did like those phones I must admit)!

AE_Collector

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.