Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,498 REPLIES 5,498

Public_Cust_17
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Never-mind Bravo.. ❤️ this collection of PM false advertising!  I'd like to encourage you to see the email I drafted up and sent to The Standing Committee on Industry and Technology (E-mail: INDU@parl.gc.ca) and maybe use it as a template or create one yourself and include all of this in an email to them. The committee is currently reviewing the pricing policies of the mobile operators and I'd like them to have every bit of information that they can regarding PM's tactics.  Cheers

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Upcoming-Changes-to-our-Old-Rewards-Pro...

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

“Why Public Points? With Public Points, there are more ways to earn and spend rewards, making the program more flexible than before. Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You're in control.”

Interesting when you examine the actual words chosen.

More ways to “earn” rewards? How? Terminology changed but its still by paying your bill on time, loyalty, referrals, and helping the community. More ways to “spend” rewards? Correct, with the intoduction of the contests. Is the program more “flexible” than before? Debatable but, technically, yes by introducing another option (contests). “Now you can earn and spend points how you want, when you want. You’re in control”. False. Rather than apply each month against your bill, now you must accumulate 15 points before you can redeem them so its not “when you want” and the subscriber ends up with less control.

Of course, its whats not included that is at the heart of the issue - the loyalty rewards are objectively worth less. 

mikasik2

No expirationNo expirationPublic points is optionalPublic points is optionalNo Surprises!No Surprises!

Smallprint: We can say whatever tf we want!

mikasik2

@eyes wrote:

@mikasik2 wrote:

@eyes wrote:

You have taken the time to list  some good opinions -- HOWEVER...

First of all we may not like it BUT we are not being cheated by Public Mobile in any way shape or form. Many of us including myself most of the time do not take notice of disclaimers - but they are there and it's our bad if we don't read and consider them before entering the - as in this PM case short 30 day agreement that are subject to change. Not to be insensitive but if $84 / year increase will hurt your budget then maybe it's a bit foolish to maintain a cell  phone prepaid plan.

They literally said users would keep the rewards as long as the account remains active.

Then said this statement may actually be a lie depending on how we feel about our loyal customers in the future.

Sorry - I didn't realize that they made assurances that " keep the rewards as long as the account remains active."

They absolutely did, there is a screenshot floating around.  

Jeffrey007
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just switched one of my lines that was on the new reward system. I will be switching out my legacy account once my discount is over. Public Mobile phone quality isn't that great, so I'll need to look for another company soon.

Maybe I'll try out Virgin Mobile and see if they have a better phone call quality/connection. 

eyes

@mikasik2 wrote:

@eyes wrote:

First of all we may not like it BUT we are not being cheated by Public Mobile in any way shape or form. Many of us including myself most of the time do not take notice of disclaimers - but they are there and it's our bad if we don't read and consider them before entering the - as in this PM case short 30 day agreement that are subject to change. Not to be insensitive but if $84 / year increase will hurt your budget then maybe it's a bit foolish to maintain a cell  phone prepaid plan.

They literally said users would keep the rewards as long as the account remains active.

Then said this statement may actually be a lie depending on how we feel about our loyal customers in the future.

Sorry - I didn't realize that they made assurances that " keep the rewards as long as the account remains active."

mikasik2

@eyes wrote:

eyes

First of all we may not like it BUT we are not being cheated by Public Mobile in any way shape or form. Many of us including myself most of the time do not take notice of disclaimers - but they are there and it's our bad if we don't read and consider them before entering the - as in this PM case the short 30 day agreement that is  subject to change with only a 30 day notice.  Not to be insensitive but if $84 / year increase will hurt your budget then maybe it's a bit foolish to maintain a cell  phone prepaid plan.

VMTighe

@eyes You haven't made investments of time, goodwill, or even monetary considerations to promote those businesses profits or subscriber base - the analogy doesn't speak to the issues at hand. Nobody is denying inflation and increases are expected however, this increase represents hundreds to thousandths of percent increases to the plans that some worked toward establishing. Before anybody pipes back with a 'woe is me' comment, don't bother. You have your opinion and that's fine but you're not the one being affected to that degree and it's not likely you spent the hours, goodwill, and material assets to achieve that lower priced cell plan.

The discounts have become established ,in part, as consideration for building a loyal subscriber base, end of story. Many loyalty programs eventually devalue their liabilities (accounts payable) and screw over their patrons however rarely to this degree. It's all completely misguided and mismanaged. Inflation is supposed to hit the plan prices, not the discounts for those loyal patrons who earned that consideration. One might even be comfortable with having the 5 year loyalty discount changed in nature to fit the new program but they're not doing that - they are simply erasing it and the motivation for some long term subscribers. I've lost one of my referrals that was over 4 years old and for every one more that leaves (and there will likely be many more) than this whole thing gets even worse for those who invested in building those referrals.

Yes things change but generally speaking - you can't expect people to be happy with being 'cheated' out of an expected cell plan price established for many years and a discount that is actually capped at 5 and doesn't substantively affect the Telus bottom line. Their loyalty program was established long ago and has had some changes even before I joined however, it has always been a substantive, defined, and marketed incentive for the plans offered to lure subscribers and engage referral work but more than that, may constitute a 'contract' of consideration for services rendered in bringing friends and family over to PM. Yes of course they have lawyers and feel confident in their actions to change in the interests of increasing ARPU/ARMU to appease shareholders and secure pay bonuses/incentives at the c-suite level, but when a company uses the letters of contract law to reverse longstanding considerations which stretch beyond the simple concept of a loyalty program, well, that's why there are other lawyers, class-action law suits, CCTS, CRTC, and good old fashion protests. In the face of 'K*rens' who like to participate in a thread that doesn't apply to them or company shills who serve to censor or diminish the voices here, there is a strong contempt among a very great number of people who will be affected by a variable increase to their monthly budgets. On a yearly basis that looks like $84 - 5% of plan cost but what few are realizing is that there will be further substantive increases when their referrals leave because of this. Those referred may only be losing $2-$7/month but it's motivation enough to seek other providers.

Now, consider this strategy (no I'm not a conspiracist but) so insidious that the intent to some degree is to drive that referral base away only to then lure them back with some other promise! It's a simple and very well established principle in business, it costs far more money to earn a new subscriber than to keep a loyal one. It costs even more when you consider that PM is losing advocates, promoters, and forum support 'staff' (a title applicable to those members who spend hours in these forums supporting other users for a monetary consideration on their upcoming bills).

eyes

Well - when I opened a Bell Mobility account - at by the way a great rate --- the agent advised me to go on a contract plan and not a prepaid because --- (as is the present situation with PM) --- prices and discount may change at any time with only a 30 day notice. 

eyes

@RetiredGuy1 wrote:

@eyes 

Let’s face it, PM would not have proceeded unless they were sure they were in their legal right to do so. However, there is room to make an adjustment that does not impact them financially - scrap the need to accumulate 15 points before redemption AND then forcing the subscriber to manually apply it themselves. They could at least retain the automatic application of rewards against each monthly bill.

Great suggestion - Maybe an oracle can present this proposition and ask them to consider NOT  having to accumulate 15 points before being able to cash them.

RetiredGuy1

@eyes 

Let’s face it, PM would not have proceeded unless they were sure they were in their legal right to do so. However, there is room to make an adjustment that does not impact them financially - scrap the need to accumulate 15 points before redemption AND then forcing the subscriber to manually apply it themselves. They could at least retain the automatic application of rewards against each monthly bill.

eyes

You say betrayal? Look around- do you consider gas price fluctuations - interest rate changes - food prices etc as betrayals?  We all are a bit one sided- because as loyal as we think we are we would not reject lower gas prices- lower interest rates- lower phone plans because we are not so called loyal back.  

eyes

PM have responded to other submissions - they are within their rights and have shown the disclaimer.  So in my opinion the answer will always be the same - they have a disclaimer that clearly shows that they acted within their legal rights —Case closed .
The more I think about it - it’s no big deal— if in fact members can find better deals then why the fuss - just switch to another provider- 

golfball

Public Mobile didn't give me 5GB bonus as the email promised. I was on the $15 plan when I received the email and my plan renewed to the Can-US plan as scheduled on Monday. Yesterday I got a text that I had been gifted 240GB by PM. Now I will lose the bonus if I change plans, I was kind of hoping for the 5GB bonus that's compatible with all plans so I could switch freely. I can't believe how elaborately they have programmed this bonus. I miss the no strings attached add-ons of the past.

Alveeto
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Not yet. My complaint with CCTS was just filed. I'm waiting for Public Mobile to respond. 

@G_Pomzz wrote:

Screenshot_2024-03-20-21-50-23-357_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

 Okay, so same price as Freedom and Public Mobile, so why switch? 

@G_Pomzz 

Lucky mobile does not offer US roaming.  If that is important to your needs.  

mikasik2

Did we get our rewards back yet?

VMTighe

Interesting that PM censors these forums deleting any posts which speak to the utter contempt for this betrayal. People have been loyal to you PM and now you're going to trample on that goodwill.... CCTS has taken my complaint on, PM has made an initial response, and I plan to take it as far as I can. Similar to others, the program transcended one of 'loyalty' to that of compensation or a contract for building a subscriber base with the offer of a lower cost plan.... the years of tenure bonus is included in that consideration with a long term commitment to this company both personally and with the trust and goodwill spent to bring family and friends over to PM. I'm left with no words but 'disgusting' to describe the greed and betrayal. This is effectively a massive increase to the contract cost of a monthly plan to many people. CCTS has taken it on but they are limited in power (effectively none) -- the CRTC needs to hear from us as well. This isn't just the loss or amendment of a loyalty program - a 'business operation' that PM is justified in changing but rather a significantly larger consideration for the effort and costs many incurred to establish themselves with a lower cost plan. 

RetiredGuy1

Some excerpts from an article on iphoneincanada.com relating to the telecom CEOs appearing before the Standing Committee on Industry and Technology:

Well, the meeting took place with the House of Commons industry committee on Monday. Instead of showing up in person, the CEOs of the ‘Big 3’ attended virtually, to explain what’s happening with wireless and internet prices, including Bell CEO Mirko Bibic and Darren Entwistle from Telus. Tony Staffieri of Rogers had some internet issues and the committee was unable to hear him; this apparently caused some heckles from MPs (Rogers and internet downtime!).

The meeting was held in response to Rogers’ announcement of an impending average $5 price hike for non-contract wireless customers, sparking widespread debate about the cost of telco services in Canada.

Bibic did not confirm whether Bell would implement similar increases, emphasizing instead the company’s commitment to lowering expenses. Entwistle expressed confidence in future price reductions for consumers, though he did not detail how this was going to happen.

Staffieri faced direct questions about Rogers’ decision to raise prices, especially considering the current affordability crisis. He defended the price increase, explaining the hikes were targeted at customers with older plans and aimed to provide them with more valuable alternative plans.

——————

My comment: Rogers increasing the price of non-contract plans and Telus changing the rewards program (which effectively increases their revenue) at around the same time. Oh, there’s no collusion among the Big 3 (nudge, nudge, give a wink, say no more, say no more)…

Mike-B

Yes, only calling. This is not better for people that have roaming. But if you don't use a lot of data 29$ for 25GB is a pretty good deal. Just posting options.

G_Pomzz

In that PC plan is it just calls from Canada to the USA or free roaming in the USA like Public Mobile?

Free USA roaming is important to me. 

Mike-B

PC Mobile

$29.00/mo

5G

20 GBIncluded Data
25 GBTotal data including auto top-up bonus*
Unlimited Calls Canada-wide and to the US

Canada & International text, picture and video messages from Canada

Call Display, 3-Way Calling, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding

Up to 10% of the value of every Top-Up in PC Optimum™ points

Earn 20,000 PC Optimum™ points after 2 months of service

Mike-B

Not everyone jumped onto that plan. You can also go to PC mobile

$34
.00/mo

5G

50 GBIncluded Data
55 GBTotal data including auto top-up bonus*
Unlimited Calls Canada-wide and to the US

Canada & International text, picture and video messages from Canada

Call Display, 3-Way Calling, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Call Forwarding

Up to 10% of the value of every Top-Up in PC Optimum™ points

Earn 20,000 PC Optimum™ points after 2 months of service

fixin

@Mike-B wrote:

Currently public doesn't offer 5GB of bonus data and USA calling.

@Mike-B - Yeah, but the third tier carriers just got into big data plans about a year ago. Plus I got myself a sweet tea plan for US roaming when it was available. $34 for 50GB Canada - US. Calling also works. Been Rick-Rolling myself on it and always getting the LD charges may apply. 🙂

You can quickly abolish 1/3 of that with the points system with 1000 US LD minutes for 10 points.

Mike-B

Currently public doesn't offer 5GB of bonus data and USA calling.

elitelink98

Disappointed to hear this and, unfortunately, a one-time data add on (that will expire) isn't going to make up for it. I've been a loyal customer for several years and was not happy when the data add-ons were given an expiry date. This just keeps going to show me that Public Mobile isn't interested in retaining long term customers like myself.

G_Pomzz

Screenshot_2024-03-20-21-50-23-357_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

 Okay, so same price as Freedom and Public Mobile, so why switch? 

Need Help? Let's chat.