Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,597 REPLIES 5,597

Boki
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@justmeheyok wrote:

My old Public Mobile plan was basic without any Internet data attached. Just plain 'ol cell phone calls.

Suddenly the plan I was with for several years is now up'ed to $15 plustaxes which includes 250MB/month of internet data. I did not up to this plan myself? So what is going on?. Does Public Mobile no longer have the Basic Phone only plan any longer or was this Auto Update by Public Mobile in error?.

The only 'forced' upgrade was from $10 to $13 a while ago.

What plan did you have? Current old customers have basic plan for $15 with 250MB of data. And that plan was for last 3 or so years.

I doubt publicm will 'upgrade' you without notification.

justmeheyok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My old Public Mobile plan was basic without any Internet data attached. Just plain 'ol cell phone calls.

Suddenly the plan I was with for several years is now up'ed to $15 plustaxes which includes 250MB/month of internet data. I did not up to this plan myself? So what is going on?. Does Public Mobile no longer have the Basic Phone only plan any longer or was this Auto Update by Public Mobile in error?.

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Aw, c'mon.  Don't you want less for more?

Fredthedog1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is what I get ; 1.7 points per month discount for plan , 3 points per month for 3 referrals and 10 points per year  in loyalty. So basically save $15 every 3 months or so or around $65 per year . The best case out there I’ve seen is matching PMs base price so best case costs me $65 more per year . In terms of service quality, if PM was bad I wouldn’t stay regardless of price . For me the service has been good for both calls and data . No reason to move for me 

Fredthedog1

Lucky equivalent to my plan is a 2 year discount for 34.99 per month with 4G data . PM is 34.99 per month less $5.50 is points discounts and 5 G data speeds . So why would I switch to lucky ? Freedom mobile is 34.99 for 2 years regular 39.99 and has 5 g speeds . So even discounted it’s a money loser . Personally I will not move just to pay more money ….

marcnoel

Currently, through Points, I am paying $ 14.92/month for 20 GB and unlimited Canada-wide calling with PM.  Cheapest plan with Lucky is $ 15.00 for 100 outgoing minutes and 250 MB.  Do you think I'm switching?

marcnoel

Those family members must have signed up before January 2022 to get AutoPay and Loyalty Rewards, vs. Points.  Have you referred no-one since January 2022?

marcnoel

You will get 10 Points each year on your anniversary date.

Dodger4yu

I dislike the new “reward” program more of a scam program with no real-time benefits. 
Everyone switching to Lucky? 

MrPK

Yup I agree, i was putting up with call drop issues and poor signal strength at most locations.. will try different provider hopefully they are also not crap like PM. Only reason I got my family members to sign up for PM was cause of their loyalty and auto payment discounts etc.

MrPK

Dude you do not get $1 for referral anymore you get 1 point every 30 days.. nope you do not get $10 for loyalty either..  Remember most of us were getting close to 5 to 9 bucks off our monthly bills.. that means around roughly $90 in a year.  For the same price i be paying at PM. I can get on Lucky Mobile or Freedom and get US + Canada Talk plans vs PM being only Canada Talk !

Ausgirl1

I’m also a “senior” and don’t spend my life on my cell phone so I just wanted basic service and that’s what I got but navigating PM’s site is a nightmare for the less savvy customers. Why should I have to chase points?

Lockedoutagain2

Be careful, the other RED carrier will lure you in, give you credit cards and all the bells and whistles, but ultimately keep you hostage on any rewards or benefits and bonuses...

They're pretty similar in deception and delivery, just a different color

Lockedoutagain2

In my late 60's and don't have any one to show me how, have to learn by trial and error pretty much. Bad enough we have to do everything on our own, no singing cowboy when you're on hold...

And of course with the short and mostly ambiguous guidelines, we constantly get dinged because we did not get it right.

Being held hostage was not part of the 'plan' when I joined in 2014. This is the way I am being treated just because I am an older old customer. Being tech savvy, chatting w/bots, and finding my way around the community was not in the requirements to have phone service when I joined. Sad and disappointing 

Dodger4yu

Bring back the old rewards !!!!

Fredthedog1

Or do what I do and save yourself many headaches . I just do it for them 🙂

eskar1

Very disappointed in the move to the new points program which appears to remove the automatic discounts. I moved my elderly parents to public mobile in part for the ease with which they could accumulate discounts. We've been happy customers for years.

Now I will need to teach them to navigate this clunky website in order to apply rewards they have earned... which feels like a step backward in user friendliness. I would appreciate if Public Mobile could devise a way to set up automatic application of the rewards program as before.

Fredthedog1

I’m curious what you have found out there that is a better deal price wise . As for service for me bad service is a deal breaker . I wouldn’t  be with PM if I was getting bad service slow data speeds. I would certainly be willing to move on for a better base price .

marcnoel

Don't sugar-coat it.  Tell us what you really think.

MrPK

Alright Public Mobile I am out of here.. customer for almost 7 years.. had family member join the plan, asking them to ditch it for something better, that actually gives good data/speeds and has proper signal strength in major cities especially. 

CRTC complain will be filling as well, though doubt they would care, PM must have known this switch wouldnt break any legal rules .. but I hope PM loose customers left and right.. horrible service was on it just cause of the discounts with the rewards program they had earlier.. 

Neil5

Hi,

The new points system is quite bad compared to the old rewards.  I went form having a $9 discount to a $2 dollar discount each month.

Making it worse is that you can only reduce your monthly bill once you accumulate 15 points.  

Shame on you guys!

-Neil

marcnoel

Great attitude.

Fredthedog1

The thing is they have not increased your plan price . They have changed their discount scheme and gave us months  of notice and provided the details. It will never feel good to have your total price go up but I’m just keeping in perspective of the value public mobile currently provides me vs what the competition can offer . For me even with the increase in total cost it’s not even close so I’m not moving just to spite them . When I recommend public mobile I let people decide based on the base price . The bonus scheme is just that a bonus that may or may not last .

Ausgirl1

I got the email but nowhere did it say that my bill would go back to the original price. I am not complaining about paying $15/month but I think we should have been able to keep the price as it was and start earning points or opt to keep the bill at its current price and opt out of points.

HI @PublicMobile32 

check your text and email, PM has sent this out early to mid March.

Sorry, this is something for everyone in the legacy rewards system, nothing you can do other than just enjoy the new rewards system.  

PublicMobile32

I've never received notice of this increase and my bill increased from $9 to $15 - I would like to know what will do with my credits lost

HAHA12345

Very easy for PM to satisfy current customers, just make all plans available to all new and current customers, people can pick up their plan with not very much additional charge, even they get less data. 

edsou

Yes exactly.  I am not getting as great of a discount now because of the change but for me PM is still the best deal because there are not many options in Newfoundland.  I will keep an eye on deals and leave if I find something better but for now I will be sticking around.  I do strongly dislike that the new system can't be set up to be automatic and requires me to go in and manually do it myself every couple months but it is what it is. 

SeniorCitizen

@hTideGnow 

No problem. I have made my decision as to what direction I will go. 🥴🥴🥴

Lockedoutagain2

...well, so much for CCTS, if they're unbiased, they should be able to compile the number of similar requests/complaints and then take some kind of action, like approaching the company with the numbers and at least see. If there's nothing they can DO...

It's more like there's nothing they want to do...

Unfortunately PM is so ambiguous in their approach they can make it swing in any direction ☹️

Need Help? Let's chat.