Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,590 REPLIES 5,590

Tav2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Unsubscribed. So many notifications from this is insane! I did log into my account after the switch and it told me I never had an active subscription which was weird. Pressed a button and it went away. Then was able to change from the 20gb to 40gb plan which are both $29.

HanhVu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This month, my bill increased from 20$ to 28$ ... this is ridiculous. I have no option but swicth to other provider. 

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

That "We're so excited that you're joining Public Points!!" text message rubbed me the wrong way too.

@hyper42008 wrote:

its time for a lot more to people to move on , maybe they will get the message

@hyper42008 If I ever find a plan that is better for less at a different carrier that serves the Maritimes I would most certainly change. For now though the plans I have here can't be beat so I will stay as opposed to leaving out of spite for something that isn't as good / costs me more.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@marcnoel - I agree with you! But because of the nature of PM's 240GB forcing people to pay more to keep things you can file a complaint with them and 9/10 you will win.

marcnoel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It has been 28 months since PM introduced Points.  If anyone referred someone during that time, the new subscribers started out on Points.  Nothing has changed for them.  Why was it okay to refer them before, but not now?  The deals are still the same for anyone who never had Rewards.

I was on a $ 15.00 plan until they introduced unlimited throttled data.  For over two years, my plan was free, because my rewards were slightly more than my bill.  I am grateful for the savings during that time.  While I would prefer to continue to get the same discount, I'm glad I got it for 28 months.  Even with the switch, it is still the best deal for me, financially, to stay put.

It might be unreasonable to expect all of one's referrals to jump ship with a person, solely for the purpose of getting new referral rewards elsewhere.  The referrals may have more motivation to stay, if their own discounts are high enough.  It smacks of multi-level marketing thinking to me - one person getting friends/family (in this case, referrals) to follow them, so that the one can get referrals again.  Granted, the referred people would probably get something, too, but plan needs, reception, coverage, etc., are all considerations for each person.  Not everyone might want to go.  I am reluctant to switch to a Bell-associated carrier, as there are only nine towers south of Duncan on Vancouver Island.  Even though they supposedly have access to Telus' ones, I am unwilling to shift, as I'm not interested in finding out my reception has reduced or vanished.  It's bad enough now when I'm sitting at home, then get a voice-mail notification, but the phone never rang.

As has been pointed out multiple times, the fine print has said they could change things any time, but it seems that few people read them.  I have a Terms and Conditions document for my business, and all clients must sign it, acknowledging they have read, understood, and accept it.  Six years after introducing it, I still have clients that appear to have signed it without reading it, as evidenced by their reactions when I remind them of policies.

It is not our God-given right to keep the Rewards.  Did anyone really think they would keep two systems going indefinitely?  Why would they bother introducing Points at all?  All this hugga-mugga for a maximum of $ 5.42 lost per month (not the $ 7.00! expressed by multiple individuals), even though plan prices have come down, and offerings gone up ($ 40.00 for 4 GB in 2018, vs. $ 34.00 for 50 GB now, plus US calling).  It seems like some people are seeing only the $ 5.00 loyalty and $ 2.00 AutoPay eliminations, and not seeing the 5% back or the 10 points per year.  On a $ 40.00 plan, that's a $ 2.83 discount per month, with no referrals or Community.  That's a difference of $ 2.59.

And another thing!  If discounts are more than your plan, they are banked, but can be used only for future PM purchases (plans, data, etc.).  If you have $ 60.00 in excess, and want to port out, you lose that money.  Below 0 payment, all the excess does is kind of keep you around, so you don't lose it.  For example, if you had a $ 100.00 in excess, but wanted to leave, you might think twice about losing that money, as you can't take it with you.  If you're happy with PM, then, of course, it helps with future discounting, since you're sticking around.

Lisa31

Please don't "congratulate" me on "switching to Public Points" when I did NOT want to switch and then giving me a "welcome bonus of 5 Public Points" as compensation for the $6 MONTHLY legacy rewards I previously enjoyed. 😠 

Why not just be honest and say that "Public Mobile's previous reward program has become too good of a deal so we need to revamp it by cancelling the $2 monthly bonus for auto payments. You'll still get a $1 credit for each referred friend. Your accumulated monthly loyalty bonus will be replaced with an annual $10 credit. We're adding a 5% cash back credit based on the cost of your subscription. These credits will not be applied monthly anymore because we want you to manually apply them. We're kind of sorry about the increase in your monthly rate and the extra work in claiming your credits but our parent company is Telus and well... that really says it all."

By my calculation, if I cash in my new credits annually, I'll get about $3 per month, half of what I used to get BUT I only paid taxes on the net rate so those $6 extra I'm now paying are also increasing my taxes. 

Join the growing numbers and file a complaint with the CCTS!

SeniorCitizen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @SeniorCitizen 

you aware you still get Friend referrals in the new system? 

Yes, in the form of points. But appears one account that has changed over and I may have lost 2 referrals in the conversion. 
So need to see the results for all 3 accounts. And will I  have actually lost them or will the conversion lose them? And, sorry to say, PM has a track record of messy conversions (but so do banks). And who knows as  the xxx-xxx-3456 records will be gone. 

they will be in points and you will still get $100+ worth of rewards monthly.   

I have 3 accounts and the post about how many I have had over the past 4 years, that was unfairly deleted, is not how many I have left.

I will post my retention rate soon. But I will suspect it will be deleted. Honest comments appear to not be appreciated??

the lost of $7 is nothing to you.

incorrect. See above comment. 

Afterall, all these extra money will stay in your account and cannot do much else.  With Points, you can actually play those "lottery" jackpot to try to get free phones

thanks for your observation. 

and how you can so many referrals?

I work hard for them. Am not willing to share. Is honest and I offer impeccable service all at a loss to me. 

I can’t consider doing any referrals in the future.

And I ask all here…..once the dust settles and those that have threatened to go, go and everyone is onboard and has dropped their anger…..do you see that the customer retention will improve? That’s never been mentioned by PM as far as I can see. But I am sure it must be by upper management. And improved retention helps them and the referrers. And would we not speculate another possible powder keg when the 3G plan(s) are forced to 4G or LTE. 

hyper42008

its time for a lot more to people to move on , maybe they will get the message

hyper42008

they are getting more money out of you 

hyper42008

looking at this point system  , its not working for me or my wife , we are going to start looking elsewhere , i was 6 a month saving she about the same , now no savings , or every 2 months save a little , not good , time to look elsewhere

darjer_09

Agree! I got a notification say I lost all my past rewards and got 5 points. Not happy being forced in to this change.

RepntbaptizedJC

The new points program is terrible. The old rewards were much better.  

HI @MrG3D in fact, you have no right to stop them from closing the loyalty rewards system.

but you have right to opt out rewards completely, ie, ask them not to enroll you to the points reward system and not give you any points. You just need to submit a ticket for that. 

HI @Stonechucker1 

i don't think they care if you are in Koodo or Telus or PM.  As long as you re not on $15 or $25 plan, they are happy.  🙂

Stonechucker1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MrG3D , they took away the rewards because they want you to move to a higher platform because public Mobile is so cheap. They want you on koodo or Telus so they can get more money out of you.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@MrG3D wrote:

If they want to keep me as a customer, I have to authorize it.

@MrG3D Unfortunately they don't care if you stay or go. They don't need your permission or authorization to change it. There are 178 pages of pee'd off people just like you. They announced this over 2 months ago and have started moving old rewards accounts to new rewards. Lots of suggestions in all the posts of how to file complaints and where to take your business. Lots of people have apparently already left.

MrG3D

If they want to keep me as a customer, I have to authorize it.

They have no right to "thank" me for switching to their new loyalty plan that I did not switch to and in fact have told them I don't want.  They keep insinuating that this is a good thing for their customers which in fact it is NOT.  It's only good for them.
I have filed a new complaint with CCTS.

Maybe they will start to care when their reputation for caring only for themselves affects their reputation to a point that it will be too late and their company only fades away for lack of caring for their customers or the quality of their services.

PublicEnemyno1

I had maximum loyalty discount for 5+ years as a customer, now I've been reset to ZERO and my bill has gone up? If this isn't corrected by my next bill cycle, I'm done with Public Mobile. Whoever thought of this should be fired.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@MrG3D wrote:

I just received email notice that YOU (Public Mobile) just changed my loyalty plan.  I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS.  CHANGE IT BACK.

I only authorize you to change the plan if you give EXACTLY or GREATER value as the previous loyalty plan.  Otherwise, I require you to restore my original loyalty plan.

@MrG3D You don't need to authorize it, they can change the loyalty program whenever they like as they have done.

MrG3D

I just received email notice that YOU (Public Mobile) just changed my loyalty plan.  I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS.  CHANGE IT BACK.

I only authorize you to change the plan if you give EXACTLY or GREATER value as the previous loyalty plan.  Otherwise, I require you to restore my original loyalty plan.

HI @SeniorCitizen 

you aware you still get Friend referrals in the new system?  they will be in points and you will still get $100+ worth of rewards monthly.   the lost of $7 is nothing to you.  Afterall, all these extra money will stay in your account and cannot do much else.  With Points, you can actually play those "lottery" jackpot to try to get free phones

and how you can so many referrals?

cprnicus

Because it gives one NO incentive for years of loyalty that gave you a discounted plan before the switch. You get NOTHING for that but increased cost.

El_Gato

That’s my mandate too, absolutely no more referrals….and I have referred at least 100, “

Now that’s AMAZING! So obviously even on the point system with all the points awarded to your plan , you would virtually enjoy free Cell phone service. 

cprnicus

Always has been with Telus. They just won't Tell-us that.

captgrant

I don't care about your points program. The rewards for my years of service serves me better than the fictitious points. You are offering fluff that does nothing 

@najo905 wrote:

I'm seeing people talk of 240 gb bonus data. It seems like mine as well as my brother's loyalty bonus  was only 5 gb/150 days of which I have 90ish left. Why the discrepancy???

@najo905 

Public mobile gave different size data add on depending on your plan price;

$13/15 plan users - 5GB data add on 

$23/$25   - 30GB data add on

$29+ plans - 240 GB data add on

All these bonus add ons will expire in 150 days or if customers downgrade their plan to lower cost. 

NicoArmy

Ah it's 2024, communication as a corporation should be honest. If y'all were losing money on the previous business model, just say so. It's more upsetting to hype up this new points system when it's objectively more expensive for your clients. 

Need Help? Let's chat.