Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,599 REPLIES 5,599

mischt70
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I agree,  you cannot get these levels of rewards anywhere else.  The plans are still competitive. For me it was the way they did it. Sneaky . Remove the "migration rewards"  a day before the change so instead of 4 yrs of 1 point per month to migrate, ie 48 points. I get 5 points. If only I had an inkling on March 3rd, I'd be up 50$....

jonahneufeld
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile was bragged about so often to my friends, now I will have to take back everything nice I said and tell them how bad Public Mobile is.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

I understand people being upset with this change, I know I am. I will shop around for a better plan elsewhere and if I find one I will leave. Unfortunately for me right now, there is no better deal than what I have now even without my old rewards. And consider, no other provider offered rewards on par with our legacy rewards, none. Sad that I am losing them but I won't go so far as to say even if I pay more I am leaving. Seems counter productive to complaints of the economics of losing the rewards.

HurracaineIke

Adding my dissatisfaction to the sea here.

This is definitely not a welcome change and I urge reconsideration.

If this does go through then I will definitely be looking at switching providers.

dlutelmowski

I will be going with other providers if this goes through:) bye bye public mobile 

ninjastar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Try http://www.planhub.ca for comparisons. 

@mischt70 wrote:

This is my confusion, it still says on the website "opt in to points " page in My Rewards that you will recieve 1 point per month. What is the real truth on this?

@mischt70 

Likely a marketing error.  From my understanding, the loyalty bonus points (one time payment - one point per month with PM) was been removed.  There use to be an actual section with the welcome bonus points of 5 which actually calculated the actual number of months with PM and the actual number of points that you will earn.  Ie. 50 pts for 50 months with PM.  We are asking for clarification from PM management.  

Zahir_h

Since this change was announced, I've lost 3 refer a friend's.   Not surprised. 

So for those of you calculating your costs after the new points.  Keep in mind many will port out and the points will be less.   

9juan1

I am not happy with this change, I came to public mobile for cheap plans. Right now I am on the $15 plan for .25 GB and with the old rewards program we could lower it, which I did. I have auto-pay on, have multiple referrals and have loyalty rewards as well which is great. Now I will be paying more for the same product since you're taking my loyalty rewards (for a customer who has been with you for 5 years is $5/30 days) away so now I'm out those $60 and also the $2/ 30 days for auto-pay. Not happy at all. Keep old rewards program for those who want it. 

ll9111

A lot of us on the old reward program, where currently PM allow us to keep the old rewards without moving to new reward program.
e.g. a $34 month plan,
New rewards gives you $10+$1.7*12=$20.4, so total around $30 off per year before referral rewards.
Old rewards gives you $36 (after 1 year) - $84 (after 5 years) off per year before referral rewards.
The new announcement basically is a "piss-off" message to all PM loyal customers 5+yrs.

manity11

I'm leaving after 8 years of loyalty... Even if I pay more elsewhere in leaving on principle. Screw you Public! 

mischt70

This is my confusion, it still says on the website "opt in to points " page in My Rewards that you will recieve 1 point per month. What is the real truth on this?

ninjastar

As long as PM misses my $200 a month in payments to their profit barrel, I'm willing to pay a few dollars more elsewhere. Will never ever recommend these guys again for this stunt. 

Fizz is owned by Videotron in Quebec. Both Freedom and Videotron are owned by Quebecor.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr wrote:

Hmm...interesting that this thread with over 15000+ views and over 400 replies doesn't appear in the "Trending Topics" section.   I wonder why...

Also interesting that (until a few hours ago) it conspicuously received exactly 0 Bravos.

And just look at the user tags being added under the original post, lol.

[Edit: And just look at how somebody keeps deleting the tags. I've seen a lot of angry adjectives and insults and suggestions come and go on that tag line. Revisionist behaviour doesn't look good, Public Mobile, people are paying attention and I'm guessing that screenshots of this announcement (user tags and all) are all over the place.]

I'm betting that the Oracles are going to have an eye-rolling unhappy chore dealing with all the fallout this annoucement will cause. Assuming they don't join the angry exodus away from Public Mobile.

@ll9111 wrote:

So, per line
no more $2 off auto-pay $24 per year
no more $1-5 loyalty reward $12-$60 per year
I guess time to switch to Fizz or PC...

PLUS the loss of Friend Referral rewards as many will leave....

powerserge

Which plan are you on? If the $34 plan there is nothing comparable, even without any perks. Fizz is in beta and is owned by Freedom, will let that speak for itself. PC, not much for rewards, no roaming. All of this matters to many people, especially when traveling to the US. Most carriers charge a $15 per day roaming fee, so all those savings you think you are getting can be erased rather quickly. Let's see what happens before just getting peeved and jumping ship.

ll9111

So, per line
no more $2 off auto-pay $24 per year
no more $1-5 loyalty reward $12-$60 per year
I guess time to switch to Fizz or PC...

Frank_M

Voice your opinion on their Twitter account, I just did.

https://twitter.com/PublicMobile

@MiZ_C wrote:

Oh and why did the community make me choose a new nic name - there was no way to sign in - I am so Not "New in Town" LOL

Long outstanding issue, since the rollout of Eversafe. Contact CS_Agent to migrate back to your old community account.

Dre64

I guess there's no more incentive to refer people to Public Mobile or by helping and participating  in the forums. Good thing there's no contract....first opportunity I get, I'm history! 

rachelwalker

I have been your customer since at least 2017. This is sad, if you make these changes you will lose me as a customer. Seriously short sighted and predatory Public Mobile. Why do you treat your new customers better than your loyal customers.  So disappointed and angry.

Sheltiemom1

Not impressed.  I want the money off my bill without having to log in. 
This sucks and we may change providers.  And giving us data that expires in three months is not cool, not cool at all.

"Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan."

ninjastar

After sifting through the options out there, I'll either move my 4 lines to Lucky or PC Mobile. What a shame. Imagine them losing an average of 4 lines per person per month to chip away at what we EARNED over all these years. 

@jemulock wrote:

I'm currently on the $40/month 5G 75GB plan and after autopay/referral/loyalty is applied, I end up at $28/month.

The 240GB 'bonus' data has been deposited.

I lived with the $25/month 3G 1GB plan for 4 years and only upgraded in December 2023 to a 5G plan. 

If I downgrade to the $15/month 3GB plan, will the 240GB of data remain? Would it become 240GB at 3G speed? If yes, so be it...I'll ride it out for the 150 days and then look elsewhere.

According to PM, if you switch plans, you will lose the bonus 240GB add-on.... but it is only good for 150 days anyway... so you will lose any unused portion.... so, just a lose-lose situation.

"Will I lose my special bonus data if I switch plans?

The bonus data will remain active unless your account becomes inactive, you switch to a plan of lower value or to an incompatible plan."

DanMan

Thank you for heads up. After 5 years with PM my whole family of 4 need to look for new provider. It is so disappointing:( I was really encouraging people for PM so far. Now PM management is gonna steal $7 dollars a month from me and try to convince me that the new program is better than it was:(

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I haven't personally switched myself, but other users have reported that when they made the switch, all they got was the 5-point welcome bonus. It makes sense to me that this would just be an oversight, because I can't see them paying out hundreds of dollars to people who have been here for like 10 years. 

Although, if it's still showing, people could definitely file a complaint with the proper regulatory bodies.

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You will definitely be paying more due to this change, it's not even close. Luckily, the market is very competitive right now, and there are some great alternatives out there. I'm sure there will be more soon too, as other companies will see this backlash, and try and lure in all the disgruntled customers. 

@Wolfcore wrote:

You will not be getting 1 point per month of loyalty. They removed this just before making this announcement. Basically a slap to the face of their loyal subscriber base, all around.

@Wolfcore interesting that it still says that in the app.

Need Help? Let's chat.