cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED: Public Mobile response to COVID-19

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of May 1, 2020: This offer (US Roaming Credit Back) is now expired.

Update as of March 31, 2020: As of April 1st, online SIM purchases will no longer be discounted and will return to their regular price of $10. 

Update as of March 26, 2020: The $5 discount for online SIM purchases will only be available on purchases through publicmobile.ca. Please note that Amazon deliveries may be significantly delayed due to COVID-19. Make sure to check your estimated delivery date before ordering through Amazon.

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, the health and safety of our customers, team members, and partners are paramount to us. That’s why, with COVID-19 concerns top of mind and rising uncertainty surrounding the extent of disruptions to day-to-day activities for our customers, we will be committing to make it stress-free to stay connected with friends & family. How are we doing that?

US Roaming credit-back

Public Mobile will be crediting back the full cost of US Roaming Add-Ons as account credits.

• Eligible customers: Customers who have purchased and used any US Roaming Add-On from March 13 to April 30th, 2020. Note that usage of a US Roaming Add-On is mandatory.
  • Account credit will be applied to accounts within 7 business days of usage, beginning March 23. No action is required. Customers will receive a SMS when credit is applied.

$5 off SIM card when you buy online

During this challenging period, we want to ensure that our customers are staying as safe as possible and purchasing SIM cards online, if you need to. 

• For a limited time starting from March 20th, get $5 off when purchasing a SIM card online from us via Amazon or Publicmobile.ca.
  • No promo code necessary.

Any changes or updates to these items will be shared on this page. We encourage you to view further details on what we’re doing to help keep you safe and connected by visiting this help article for more information.

We thank you for being a Public Mobile customer, and hope that this helps make things easier during this difficult time. 

Thanks,

-Public Mobile Community Team

296 REPLIES 296

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

@Cottagegirl 

2 steps: In the self-serve portal, Add the funds you need to your account balance to cover the roaming add-on(s) purchase, then purchase the add on in a 2nd step. A week or so later, the purchase will be supposedly credited back to your account balance.

Cottagegirl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m in Florida and I need this roaming add on but confused how to do it.

I need to reactivate by tomorrow and I have $5 credits.I have the &25 plan

when I went to reactivate it didn’t give me the option to add on... I thought I couldn’t change anything after I made a payment

help please

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Alan_K 

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to make data a bit more affordable these days. Many lost access to free WiFi at work and school and some paychecks may be thinner access to them delayed.

It could work on similar principles as roaming, you only qualify to buy it at discount if you are at 90% of your data, you put the amount on your account and contact moderators about it.

I'm wandering if something like that would even be possible with strained support these days.

Thanks for reading

zblackma

Thanks the $5 sim is a pretty decent price.

@Korth 

Just for insurance. I don’t want to be somewhere that I can’t access  my account and not be able to use phone. After I studied it all, it was the way to go. But I am kicking my self as I have done well with referrals and the pre Christmas freebies. I didn’t know how the fringe benefits worked....I would say I am still new here. I would only use international minutes for USA at this point but is less to pay per minute vs Canada/USA add on. Trust me I am not going to pile up add-ons or have a high balance. I got burned by topping up far in advance on my annual paid, prepaid plan. But will always be paid up one month ahead of time.  

@LurganIeUk

Why so many add-ons?

You can add add-ons (one increment at a time) whenever needed, and you don't really need to until you start running out of minutes, there's no reason to stack them. Unused add-on minutes stay available across billing cycles until they're all used up.

If you actually do use 100+500+500 Talk minutes (a lot of minutes!) per month... upgrade to $25 Unlimited Talk instead, no worries about counting (or limiting) your Talk and no need for add-ons.

The long distance add-ons are a good deal (if your country is on PM's "International" list). But if you're using them a lot then toll-free long distance calling cards are likely a better deal (many varieties, and there's basically a flavour with $0.01/minute calling rates to any particular country, although they invariably have expiry periods or funds-decay or per-dial surcharges or some other gimmick, read the fine print).

@Hosford 

Everyone that helps....helps a bit and all those bits, if useful to you but not all, will help. 

I worked hard for one company for over 40 years and am on a fixed income and lost 50% of it a few years ago and the true colours of support from Trudeau shows. But I am not going to snivel about it and will make the best of what I can. I guess everyone has a beef with some one or some company. 

I have spent time on getting the best value for the things I want vs whining. While I thought I had a fantastic prepaid plan offered by the loyalty department of another carrier I can tell you that Public Mobile is the best value for me and spouse. 

I would like to share this with you. 

My Public Mobile suggested add-ons for $15 monthly plan.

Suggested add-ons to bullet proof the $15 plan.

For add-ons.

GOOD COMBINATION. More flexibility, less overall cost.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $15 add-on (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on this gives you full calling LD including USA, Canada and International for less cost per minute than using the $8 add-on. 

=======

$25

NOT SO GOOD COMBINATION.

2 x $5 add-on (1 cent/min.) 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes

1 x $8 add-on (4 cent/min.) 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes**

1 x $15 (3.75 cent/min.) 400 International Long Distance minutes add-on.

=======

$33 Total                   **🤔The lesser value of the group 🤔

Note the $5, $8, and $15 add-on would all kick in for Local/Canada Wide calls if your allotted minutes were all used up. This applies to the $15 monthly plan only.

The reason for 2 x $5 add-ons, assuming most of your calls are Canada Wide, is......once 1 x $5 is used up and you are now using the second $5 add-on ......buy another $5 add-on.

The $15 add-on is less cost per minute than the $8 add-on and the $15 add-on has International, USA and Canada  while the only real use of the $8 add-on is for USA only calls.

Note: The add ons I have mentioned do NOT expire until all the minutes have been used.....the unused minutes roll over month to month until all exhausted.

@Mreekster wrote:

Wi-Fi calling is the minimum that they can do. Are they gonna lose thousands of subscribers from Telus and Koodo to public Mobile? No, not with the network of 3G. It is a SAFETY issue!!!

@Mreekster , you have been with PM for at least 2.5 years based on your community account if that is when you activated and you still think that PM operates on the 3G network?  We are on the same network as all other Telus/ Koodo customers and for that matter Bell.  I don't see why WiFi calling is a safety issue, I am not sure what other 3rd tier providers are offering.  I know the higher tiers are removing roaming charges.  Being prepaid is a totally different thing than postpaid.  There are no commitments needed by the customer at all, the customer can leave at any time without any further compensation to PM.  The Higher tiers know they have a commitment by the customers and know that they will be able to recoup any costs it might be by providing temporary relief.

I understand people here in Canada need the relief to but we do need to give PM a chance remember they are part of Telus and the direction is coming from higher up.  This is such a fluid worldwide event no one knows what is going to happen.  

I am not saying any of the Big 3 are doing this but it could be an opportunity to show that the higher tier your provider is the better "care"  you are given.  Might be trying to get people to move up the food (cost) chain.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Hosford  I know how hard it is to survive on a low income so you just have to be smart with how you use your phone and how you spend your money. Almost every company has a 1 800 or 866 (toll free) number. They often ask you to call the local number in larger population centres but you dont have to follow those edicts. Provincial governments have toll free service numbers you can call and be transferred to the the department you need just pick a small town if they ask you where your calling from. 1 800 O CANADA is Service Canada's free info line and they have toll free numbers for most of their departments. If offered take the call back service option.

And take @hairbag1 suggestion and purchase the $5/500min Canada wide calling add on. At $0.01 per minute is almost free and you can monitor your usage in your account. Leave your number as soon as you speak to a customer service agent just in case you get "cut off" and if they assure you they will call you back if that happens....then "accidently" get cut off....so you're using unlimited incoming minutes...and text family and friends to call you....theyll understand and probably have unlimited outgoing anyways.

@Hosford add a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts in Canada and the US for free.

If you have the $$... get the $5 / 500 minutes of calling add-on to your current plan. Those minutes don't expire at normal renewal, but will roll over until you use the entire 500 minutes.

You might be able to make good use of a free voip app such as TextNow. You get a free Cdn phone number and you can call / text for free as long as you have a wifi signal. There are other voip apps but I've used TextNow and works great.

Shaw Cable has allowed free access of their Shaw Go Wifi networks for the time being.

Not the best solutions to your concern, I know.

Hosford
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This offer to PM customers is actually almost useless and its makes me very upset about PM response during this very difficult time for the following reasons:

- They are only refunding customers the US roaming charges.  This does nothing to help people who do not have the money to pay the extra fee because of a loss of work like our selves.  It helps really no one!

- What about all the PM customers who live in Canada and do not have unlimited calling plans because of their income like us.  When working we could only afford the 100min calling plan. Normally this is more than enough for us, but because of getting laid off of work and having to call the Banks, Ei, power company etc. our minutes were used up immediately from being on hold.

PM should be offering minimum unlimited calling Canada wide for low income people who could not afford the unlimited plan in the first place, so they can call family and be able to stay on hold while calling for services and companies.  This inaction speaks volumes about the company who is owned by Telus and who makes millions every year primarily by having a monopoly for decades like Bell and Rogers.  

This is a company who has shown its true colors in a time when people really need help.  We cannot do business with a company like this and will be looking for a new provider as soon as is possible. 

Wifi calling a safety issue? Pfft.

Install google hangouts dialer or textnow apps if you really want wifi calling...

Edit: or a landline if a reliable phone line is paramount.

Mreekster

Wi-Fi calling is the minimum that they can do. Are they gonna lose thousands of subscribers from Telus and Koodo to public Mobile? No, not with the network of 3G. It is a SAFETY issue!!!

deloreh

Thank you for helping to keep all safe from  the spread of this virus.

Dantepuppy

Good job, Public mobile.  

This will be helpful for anybody traveling or stuck in the United states.  

What about some discount on the Canada data add ons? 

oshax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks PM! 

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't visit the state's but thats cool of public mobile to give for free for people trying to get home.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Korth I actually live next to Montreal on a first Nations reservation. Providers just don't service my reservation when towns next to us get them. Sure we get Bell but my road doesn't get their service. I asked multiple times when it's coming for last 3 years and no idea. Just get some crappy local first Nations internet that works well with 1 person. Add 4 people Ina house and I'm better off using my phone data.

@tehowennathe

You might live in an area where "small" service providers offer wireless home internet. Far more options than just Telus and Shaw.

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Cellular-quot-home-quot-internet/td-p/4417...

@tehowennathe  You should see if you qualify for telus my hub. Home internet over mobile service.

tehowennathe

Would be nice if they did offer unlimited data for the time being. I live in an area that doesn't get home internet from high speed companies. Instead I must use my data on plan till I can get home internet at decent speeds. My phone gets better speeds then my home internet. Wod be nice because my town doesn't want us anywhere. Glad though they are helping those that couldn't use their roaming.

@Rachelanderson wrote:

I am laid off of work is there anything you guys are doing to help in this situation 

Consider making use of a free voip app like TextNow. You get a free Cdn number to be able to call / text for FREE as long as you have a wifi signal. There's free wifi in most urban and rural centers nowaday. Shaw just announced that their Shaw GO WIFI is free to anyone for now. Lotsa usable FREE alternatives today. Good luck.

Cathy007

Thank you PM!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rachelanderson 

This being a low budget carrier there's only so much they can do.

What they're offering in help won't help you specifically.

You could change down to the $15 plan and use wifi as much as possible. Even buy the $5 add-on for calling out in Canada. Or have people call you back if they might have unlimited calling.

Rachelanderson

I am laid off of work is there anything you guys are doing to help in this situation 

Nanqui

Thank you !

zblackma

I see that you also have a save $5 on new online  sims offer too. Thanks. https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart

@Fefetim wrote:

Telus. Rogers . Koodoo. Bell and Eastlink is unlimited data and international minutes. I'm stitching to Rogers as of now might be smart if you did that too. At least for the next Month

You can use all the yarn you like on your way to Rogers - they don't actually offer what you claim.

SaskTel is the only wireless carrier I know of (so far) that has announced unlimited wireless domestic data... So I took a look around - reviewing this I see Bell is offering an extra 10GB for 2 billing cycles, but the trend seems to be for free roaming and unlimited home internet...

• Telus: Waiving home internet overage charges for customers without unlimited data plans until April 30, Waiving all Easy Roam®, Travel Passes and pay-per-use roaming charges for postpaid and small business customers until April 30 (ie not Telus prepaid)
  • Rogers: Waiving roam-like-home, and ensuring unpaid accounts aren't disconnected, waiving overages for home internet.
  • Bell: waiving extra usage fees for all residential Internet customers. We will also be providing our consumer and small business customers with Turbo Hubs, Turbo Sticks and MiFi devices an extra 10 GB of domestic usage and a $10 credit on their existing plan for each of their current and next billing cycles.
  • Eastlink: temporarily suspending data limits on all internet plans. (I believe this means wired home internet) waiving international roaming, Free Mobile Long Distance
  • Fido: waiving roaming fees, waiving Canada long distance
  • Virgin: waiving roaming fees
Need Help? Let's chat.