Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

As of April 22nd, 11:59 PM, the following price plans are being expired:

• $25 for 1 GB at 3G speed
  • $40 for 5 GB at 3G speed
  • $45 for 6.5 GB at 3G speed

If you’re interested in taking advantage of these ready-made plans while they’re still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before April 22nd, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle.

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans.

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

168 REPLIES 168

@acmethod wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

If she kills the virgin account early she has to pay a penalty. 😞

You could activate the SIM for the $25 plan, but it has to be before the end of April 22nd.  As for whether to port her line sooner rather than later, that depends on how much the penalty amount is, and whether in the long run will it save $$$.  If you don't mind sharing, how much is the penaly and what is she paying with Virgin per month for what data/talk/text amounts?

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Here’s the info she’s given me:

Ok I have the numbers to unlock both phones.
Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.
So I would pay 50$ for April and $50 for May plus penalty $20.83
Maybe I will change May 28 

We plan to switch tomorrow 

Hi @acmethod 

Can you ask her what is the penalty if she switches right away, maybe it's less than 100 and they can save even more

Remind them to use your and eachother's number for referral for even more savings

And registering first then porting is the best way to go as it makes whole process much faster and easier, i did it with my family every time even though they didn't need to hold on to their old providers, since sometimes port takes long and people get nervous if they don't have anything that's working in meantime. It's totally free to port any time

Hi @kselmak, we activated and switched the phone number this evening. She said she’d rather have it done at once. Here’s where it gets interesting, now we’re locked out of the virgin account and can’t see the balance. I guess we’ll have to call or wait and see what the charges are on her credit card

Hi @acmethod 
Ooops i didn't see that one coming

Good advice would be to take off the credit card from virgin autopay but it didn't even cross my mind, then they would just send her final bill by mail and she could despute it. It's always easier if they don't have your money first, they are more likely to listen. I don't know how is virgin, but that's my experience with bell and rogers. 

Guess you'll have to wait and see. Hope they both are happy with pm, and for you: welcome to611 service, that's what you become when you bring aunts parents and in-laws over:)

@acmethod wrote:

Our only spot is Walmart and they never have them in store. We will try on Monday, it’s worth a shot. 

Im sure we can put the one we ordered to good use by converting someone else down the road.

How far away would the closest store other than Walmart be?

Try to ask for a replacement SIM, tell them you broke yours when switching phones.

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Our only spot is Walmart and they never have them in store. We will try on Monday, it’s worth a shot. 

Im sure we can put the one we ordered to good use by converting someone else down the road.

@acmethod wrote:

I’m in the process of helping a co-worker switch to public. We ordered a sim when we saw this post on Wednesday. He’s interested in the 25$ plan ( I really think it’s a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it )

Unfortuantely, It doesn’t look like his sim will arrive until Tuesday because of the holidays.

Is there anyway to lock in a plan without a SIM card? 

No.  You will need to go to a local store an purchase a sim.

Check the Get Started link at the top of this page for the sim locator for a store near you.

Pizzaeh

@acmethod wrote:

I’m in the process of helping a co-worker switch to public. We ordered a sim when we saw this post on Wednesday. He’s interested in the 25$ plan ( I really think it’s a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it )

Unfortuantely, It doesn’t look like his sim will arrive until Tuesday because of the holidays.

Is there anyway to lock in a plan without a SIM card? 

@acmethod the SIM card number is needed during activation.  Are you/friend able to pick one up in store?

acmethod

< my post above was posted twice. Please delete>

Anyway FWIW I really think the 25$ plan is a great deal and have been trying to tell as many people as I can about it 

acmethod

I’m in the process of helping a co-worker switch to public. We ordered a sim when we saw this post on Wednesday. He’s interested in the 25$ plan. It doesn’t look like his sim will arrive until Tuesday because of the holidays.

is there anyway to lock in a plan without a SIM card? 

acmethod

@kselmak wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

You could activate the SIM for the $25 plan, but it has to be before the end of April 22nd.  As for whether to port her line sooner rather than later, that depends on how much the penalty amount is, and whether in the long run will it save $$$.  If you don't mind sharing, how much is the penaly and what is she paying with Virgin per month for what data/talk/text amounts?

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

Hi @acmethod 

Can you ask her what is the penalty if she switches right away, maybe it's less than 100 and they can save even more

Remind them to use your and eachother's number for referral for even more savings

And registering first then porting is the best way to go as it makes whole process much faster and easier, i did it with my family every time even though they didn't need to hold on to their old providers, since sometimes port takes long and people get nervous if they don't have anything that's working in meantime. It's totally free to port any time

Hi @kselmak, we activated and switched the phone number this evening. She said she’d rather have it done at once. Here’s where it gets interesting, now we’re locked out of the virgin account and can’t see the balance. I guess we’ll have to call or wait and see what the charges are on her credit card

hamaida

@Alan_KI am with $50 8.5GB plan with autopay. no change! Thats good.

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @kselmak I’ll ask her again today when we activate. Our original plan was to wait it out until the contract ended in May.

We’ve decided to activate today to get the $25 plan before it expires.

I’m leaning towards transferring her number today as well, and just disputing the penalty. @srlawren mentioned they legally can’t do that anymore.

Porting her number today will also avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion. 2 different phones ( she’s moving to an iphone ) two different bills, two different numbers until May. 

Also, if we can’t get out of the penalty, the referral fee will make up for some of that.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Since it is also a new separate phone, activating with a new temp number from PM to lock in the $25 deal and waiting out the two months before cancelling the old plan does give you a spare working phone if anyone else were able to make use of it.

acmethod

Hi @kselmak I’ll ask her again today when we activate. Our original plan was to wait it out until the contract ended in May.

We’ve decided to activate today to get the $25 plan before it expires.

I’m leaning towards transferring her number today as well, and just disputing the penalty. @srlawren mentioned they legally can’t do that anymore.

Porting her number today will also avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion. 2 different phones ( she’s moving to an iphone ) two different bills, two different numbers until May. 

Also, if we can’t get out of the penalty, the referral fee will make up for some of that.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Pizzaeh

@steff12321 wrote:

Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

Just the referred account receives the $10 credit, the referrer gets $1/month as long as the new customer stays with PM. 

Thanks @steff12321, both accounts will receive the $10 credit if the MIL's line is activated first using a referral.   See the full paragraph below.

"If you don't already have one, remember to use a referral.  The refer-a-friend rewards are explained here (might have to scroll down a bit for that section).   Use a Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) as the referral to activate your MIL's line first, then use her Public Mobile number as the referral to activate your FIL's line.  Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck."

steff12321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

Just the referred account receives the $10 credit, the referrer gets $1/month as long as the new customer stays with PM. 

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

Hi @acmethod 

Pizzaeh

@acmethod wrote:

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

@acmethod that penalty is easy to digest; some people have oustanding device balances owing of several hundred $$$.  Compared to the $50 they're paying with Virgin Mobile, they will start seeing savings right away, so switching to the $25 plan before it's gone is a very good decision. 

If you don't already have one, remember to use a referral.  The refer-a-friend rewards are explained here (might have to scroll down a bit for that section).   Use a Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) as the referral to activate your MIL's line first, then use her Public Mobile number as the referral to activate your FIL's line.  Both accounts will receive a $10 credit, and your MIL's line will receive the $1/30 days reward as long as the FIL's line remains active.  The original Public Mobile # (yours or a friend) will also receive the $1/30 days reward as long as your MIL's line remains active.  Good luck.

acmethod

@srlawren wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

@acmethod I highly doubt it.  Carriers have not been allowed to charge cancellation or early contract termination fees for a few years now.  All they can do is charge you for any device purchase balance that may be outstanding.

Hi @srlawren if this is true, maybe we can dispute the 20.83 penalty 

acmethod

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@acmethod wrote:

Hi @Pizzaeh  

Ralph’s has no contract
Mine is two months.

curtisrobicheau
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sounds like you did not set up your APN  This would be required for multimedia messages (picturemail) or internet usage. Directions follow for android im nor an iphine user but um sure google could help with "how to set up apn" on your iPhone 

Step by Step APN configuration

Step1: 

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Step 2:

You will need to input the following information:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC:http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220 
Authentication type: Leave blank 
APN type: Leave blank 

Step 3:

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network

However, there may not be any replacement plans show up in the three days after April 22. It just seems like before long something will happen as they will only have the 250 MB, 1 GB and 8 GB 3G plans remaining.

Pizzaeh

@Vancouguy wrote:

I can not send the picture message by $25plan.

Text is ok but photo is not working.

See this post by @Dunkman ....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/MMS-won-t-send-picture-texts/m-p/2711...

Vancouguy

I can not send the picture message by $25plan.

Text is ok but photo is not working.

@MrYeuk 

That approach would work.  You can cancel plan change before your actual renewal date.  

@MrYeuk wrote:

I'm flip flopping between the $25 / 1gb plan and $40 / 5gb plan.

My renewal date is April 26.  Plans expire April 22.

Here's my plan:

Currently on the $40 plan.  Can I future date a change to the $25 plan (thereby locking it in)?

And THEN...I'd have from April 22-April 25 (the 3 days between the plan expiry and my renewal date) to see what they replace the plans with.  I could then either cancel my future dated request and keep the $40 plan or follow through and keep the $25 plan.

Am I missing anything?

Nope!!Smiley Happy

MrYeuk

I'm flip flopping between the $25 / 1gb plan and $40 / 5gb plan.

My renewal date is April 26.  Plans expire April 22.

Here's my plan:

Currently on the $40 plan.  Can I future date a change to the $25 plan (thereby locking it in)?

And THEN...I'd have from April 22-April 25 (the 3 days between the plan expiry and my renewal date) to see what they replace the plans with.  I could then either cancel my future dated request and keep the $40 plan or follow through and keep the $25 plan.

Am I missing anything?

I see that I messed that up. The $45 plan will be gone as well leaving just:

- $15 unlimited text / 100 minutes Canada Talk / 250 MB Data

- $35 unlimited text / unlimited Canada Talk / 1GB Data + 500mb Autopay Bonus

- $50 unlimited text / unlimited Canada Talk / 8GB Data + 500mb Autopay Bonus

Looking at it that way it is a very limited selection which makes me think that more plans will be along soon to fill in the holes. I’m still hoping for this below to make their offerings “logical” again. Each of the cancelled plans would be cancelled and then relaunched to avoid the complaining about $5 increase or 1/2 GB reduction.

$30 / 1 GB - Cancel old $25 plan to bump price back to $30

$35 / 2 GB - Existing plan remains and gets bumped to 2 GB from 1 GB

$40 / 4 GB - Cancel old plan and relaunch with only 4 GB rather than 4.5 GB

$45 / 6 GB - Cancel old plan and relaunch with only 6 GB rather than 6.5 GB

$50 / 8 GB - Existing plan remains unchanged at 8 GB

Dreaming?

Terry

It just sunk in that the $35 1GB (plus 1/2 GB Autopay bonus) plan isn’t expiring.

So the remaining 3G Data / Talk / Text Plans will be:

- $15 unlimited text / 100 minutes talk / Unlimited Text / 250 MB Data

- $35 unlimited text / unlimited Canada Talk / 1GB Data + 500mb Autopay Bonus

- $45 unlimited text / unlimited Canada Talk / 6GB Data + 500mb Autopay Bonus.

- $50 unlimited text / unlimited Canada Talk / 8GB Data + 500mb Autopay Bonus.

Did I miss any?

Maybe they are going to relaunch $40 with only 4 GB and change $35 from 1 to 2 GB. Maybe also relaunch $30 1GB. Why cancel instead of just changing to get 1, 2, 4, 6, 8GB plans? Because the $25 1GB plan is going up in price and the $40 4GB plan is losing a bit of data. So, cancel them and relaunch them soon after. Just thinking out loud.....

Hi

I believe that data addon is rollover already

Another way of spreading your data over longer period is to go with 90 day plans, but they don't seem to be as attractive these days, who knows maybe that's what's coming just before summer.

In your place i would play safe and transfer now, it's 15, not such a huge amount and it does give you much more, can only compare it to fido 3gb dataonly for $15 or freedom 4g dataonly for $15. Pm beats fido in numbers and beats freedommobile in availability of network. And on top of it if you manages to get some referrals or if you enjoy coming here and helping others you can make it even cheaper

Cheers

liuxinbing
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Known this would expire, I poped in the mall to WOW Mobile. The guy doesn't want to honor the $0 SIM with in store activation policy. He said I could go Walmart for free SIM. So I went there the next evening, got it for free with in store activation. Picked up a random number, got home, ported existing Rogers number, which was successfully done in 25 minutes. Everything work very well.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

It's been a good run. I suggest everyone lock in their plans now, those plans are a great value.

That’s the frustrating thing! I switched to PM in December because it is so easy to switch plans every 30 data! I need much more data in the June-Sept cabin (no wifi) time frame but much less the rest of the year. Started on 1/2 gig that quickly became 1 gig and was going to do 5 gig through summer. I can switch a little early to 5 gig now but there won’t be a 1 gig $25-30 plan to come back to. Frustrating. But, I suspect more plans will be launched soon. Maybe roll over data? Or free 2G speedwhen 3G or LTE data is used up for the month? Terry

I owuld lock in that 5GB plan now a month earlier than you expected and like you said just figure it out when you don't need as much data.  Better to have the extra data than have to pay the add-on price

Agreed, that’s the only logical thing to do at the moment. See what September brings! 

Meanwhike, I was hoping they might run a long weekend new customer promo for new customers!

@AE_Collector wrote:

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

It's been a good run. I suggest everyone lock in their plans now, those plans are a great value.

That’s the frustrating thing! I switched to PM in December because it is so easy to switch plans every 30 data! I need much more data in the June-Sept cabin (no wifi) time frame but much less the rest of the year. Started on 1/2 gig that quickly became 1 gig and was going to do 5 gig through summer. I can switch a little early to 5 gig now but there won’t be a 1 gig $25-30 plan to come back to. Frustrating. But, I suspect more plans will be launched soon. Maybe roll over data? Or free 2G speedwhen 3G or LTE data is used up for the month? Terry

I owuld lock in that 5GB plan now a month earlier than you expected and like you said just figure it out when you don't need as much data.  Better to have the extra data than have to pay the add-on price

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.