Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select ready-made plans expiring May 21

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

As of May 20th, 11:59 PM, the following price plans are being expired:

• $20 for 250 MB at 3G speed (Data only)
  • $20 for Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  • $47 for 2 GB at 4G LTE speed

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans.

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Spoiler

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to May 21. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

45 REPLIES 45

rukawa0929
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To think about we get 250mb data with $15 plan (which includes 100 min + unlimited incoming + unlimted text)... So much better. The service only gets better and I'm excited to see what will come next ~

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

But you probably wont be seing much of that. Companies try to sell a grab bag of options on services so you spend more money, even when you might now use the service. That way they maintain users in all areas, like voice, text etc.

Winning247

I'm really hoping for a $20 plan with unlimited calling and text and 500 MB. Currently on the $25 1GB plan but barely use 500 MB data a month. 

@Arctican wrote:

@wetcoaster From a review of the site, it's not clear that LD charges are covered in unlimited province-wide or Canada-wide plans. Am I being too sceptical of what's included in a basic plan??  😮

Province wide means unlimited in the province that you are in, so if you travel fromQuebec to bc, you'll have unlimited bc while you are there but you won't be able to call back home as Quebec would be long distance from bc on that plan. All incoming is unlimited no matter where in Canada (provided you're in the coverage zone)

Canada wide, calls to everywhere in Canada

Long distance is an add-on. You buy a block of 200 or 400 minutes for $8 or $15 respectively. The smaller one is good only for calls to Canada and usa, the largeone can be used also for some oversea countries. They both are also good as extra minutes for metered plans (10 and 15) and they don't have expiry date, once they are on the account they stay there till they are used or account gets shut down

If a call is not covered by your plan you will not be able to make it, you will NEVER be charged after a call, it's a prepaid service.

@wetcoaster 

25 is the best deal for unlimited use with low data usage

15 is best money saver (if you have WiFi everywhere no n need for anything else really)

If you don't haveeasy access to WiFi 40 is great too

If you need unlimited USA your kinda out of luck, unless you also use loads of data anyways, in that case 50 is not bad deal at all, otherwise I suggest VoIP 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Arctican wrote:

@wetcoaster From a review of the site, it's not clear that LD charges are covered in unlimited province-wide or Canada-wide plans. Am I being too sceptical of what's included in a basic plan??  😮

Unlimited province-wide means you can make all the calls you want while in whatever province to that province. Unlimited Canada-wide means you can make all the calls you want anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada.

The $15 plan limits the amount of minutes for outgoing. The $10 plan limits all minutes. Both are Canada-wide.

Besides...there aren't any "LD charges". You pay for the service you get the service. You don't pay for the service you don't get the service.

Arctican
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

bunny4

@wetcoaster : Gladly to get quick response from you, it really helps me to make a decision, thanks kindly Smiley Wink

bunny4

@geopublic  Thank you for your advice 🙂

@duffer900 wrote:

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could advice me the best action toward the ready-made plans expiring May 21?

I am currently on the $20 for Unlimited Province-Wide Talk , with every 90-day billing, my next renewl date is Jun 11.

Action 1: Keep the $20 for Unlimited Province-wide talk, assuming this plan is been grandfarthered.

Action 2: Go with the $25 for Unlimited canada-wide talk + text, wondering do I still get Loyalty Reward,AutoPay reward- receive a $2 credit every 30 days,and refer a friend reward ?

Your advice & suggestion is greatly appreciated!

I think the 25$ unlimited talk and text is a great plan. Both of my kids have them.

Your Autopay and referral would remain, as it is tied to your account itself, not the plan.

@bunny4 

- yes, you can keep the $20 plan until you decide to change it

- your rewards are tied to your account, and will apply to any plan you choose.

- personally, I would switch to the $25 plan - it is the best bang for the buck for low data user. For just $5 more you'd be upgrading to Canada wide calling, add texting and you'd get a bit of data if you are out. At the end it's your decision, though.

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

Wondering if someone could advice me the best action toward the ready-made plans expiring May 21?

I am currently on the $20 for Unlimited Province-Wide Talk , with every 90-day billing, my next renewl date is Jun 11.

Action 1: Keep the $20 for Unlimited Province-wide talk, assuming this plan is been grandfarthered.

@bunny4Even though that $20 plan expires in your case it is grandfathered and you can still keep by renewing your plan every 90 days. No need to switch if you are happy with your current plan.

Action 2: Go with the $25 for Unlimited canada-wide talk + text, wondering do I still get Loyalty Reward,AutoPay reward- receive a $2 credit every 30 days,and refer a friend reward ?

@bunny4If you decide that you want the $25.00 plan instead it is recommended to setup the plan change to take effect on your next renewal date. Rewards and credits are always associated with your account and not with your plan so you will never lose them when changing plans.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@bunny4 wrote:

Hi all,

I think the 25$ unlimited talk and text is a great plan. Both of my kids have them.

Your Autopay and referral would remain, as it is tied to your account itself, not the plan.

bunny4

Hi all,

I would argue that they do block the competition they make sure that big guys stay big. https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/03/23/what-crtc-wi-fi-first-mvno-decision-means-for-canadian-consumers/

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The full speed LTE plan is overpriced and likely not popular.  It is sad to see loss of anything full speed LTE.  I don't like seeing data speed being monetized.

Monetizing data speed is PM's reason for existence. Telus is only willing to sell us a halfway decent amount of data for a non-absurd price if it has sloth speed.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

That one exist due to a mandate from CRTC to make “cheaper” data only plans available to customers.  So the carriers all obliged by making the same $30 1GB LTE data available at any carrier brand owned by the Big 3.

Good point. But the CRTC mandating a price point of $30 for 1GB is silly, and expensive. Hopefully one day, data will get more affordable in Canada.

This will only happen if the CRTC allows MVNOs.

Actually, technically, PM, and for that matter Koodo, chatr, Fido, Virgin and Lucky, are all MNVOs. They just happen to be owned by the big 3. I think what you are implying is for there to be independent MNVOs.

That said, I do not think that this is necessary. It would simply be a matter of the CRTC setting a lower accessible pricing. Of course, having independent MNVOs woudl create competition that would theoretically drive price down, but that is no guarantee. 

If they would allow it there would be no need for crtc to set anything, remember what happened last time when they allowed more competition? That created public mobile and we had unlimited talk and data for 25 (so it's definitely NOT only theoretically), when we allowed big 3 to buy the little guys we lost it almost instantly. Now we have to pay tax money to regulate and pull prices down cause public is slauthered with phoneplan prices. Don't forget crtc is not free either, you are paying for it

Btw, textnow is Canadian company that's doing great in usa offering them unlimited talk to canada and usa free of roaming coast to coast for $10, if you'd like unlimited talk with 2g of data it Is $20, 5g $30, and unlimited with fup $40. And usa is probably not the cheapest place for cell service either. It's ridiculous that they can't offer it to Canadians

Well they do allow competition...the problem is that they also allow aquisitions, hence PM, and others (Mobilicity, Fido, etc) got bought out. So we are back to square one....  😕

@kselmak wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

The full speed LTE plan is overpriced and likely not popular.  It is sad to see loss of anything full speed LTE.  I don't like seeing data speed being monetized.

Monetizing data speed is PM's reason for existence. Telus is only willing to sell us a halfway decent amount of data for a non-absurd price if it has sloth speed.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

That one exist due to a mandate from CRTC to make “cheaper” data only plans available to customers.  So the carriers all obliged by making the same $30 1GB LTE data available at any carrier brand owned by the Big 3.

Good point. But the CRTC mandating a price point of $30 for 1GB is silly, and expensive. Hopefully one day, data will get more affordable in Canada.

Actually, technically, PM, and for that matter Koodo, chatr, Fido, Virgin and Lucky, are all MNVOs. They just happen to be owned by the big 3. I think what you are implying is for there to be independent MNVOs.

That said, I do not think that this is necessary. It would simply be a matter of the CRTC setting a lower accessible pricing. Of course, having independent MNVOs woudl create competition that would theoretically drive price down, but that is no guarantee. 

If they would allow it there would be no need for crtc to set anything, remember what happened last time when they allowed more competition? That created public mobile and we had unlimited talk and data for 25 (so it's definitely NOT only theoretically), when we allowed big 3 to buy the little guys we lost it almost instantly. Now we have to pay tax money to regulate and pull prices down cause public is slauthered with phoneplan prices. Don't forget crtc is not free either, you are paying for it

Btw, textnow is Canadian company that's doing great in usa offering them unlimited talk to canada and usa free of roaming coast to coast for $10, if you'd like unlimited talk with 2g of data it Is $20, 5g $30, and unlimited with fup $40. And usa is probably not the cheapest place for cell service either. It's ridiculous that they can't offer it to Canadians

Well they do allow competition...the problem is that they also allow aquisitions, hence PM, and others (Mobilicity, Fido, etc) got bought out. So we are back to square one....  😕

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

zxcvbnm

@will13am wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

@SomeFriend wrote:

mojorising

With this new $25 plan, the $35 plan sticks out like a sore thumb. Basically for $10 more you get an additionall 500mb of data? What? LOL

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hoping that another deal comes up, I’m currently very happy with the $15 plan.  I can make the data work, since I’m mostly in wifi and I typically browse webpages only.  

Would make me very happy if there was just a little more...  Tonight was when my plan expired but I had to converse to keep my internet access alive.  I had roughly 5MB left in the 250MB allotment...  😞

SomeFriend

Tue, innovation is needed. With that there needs to be a tool that makes sense. At the moment, many areas in the plan builder do not make sense. It just comes across as sloppy.

I still prefer the plan builder, as it lets you get a 90- day plan if you wish. However, there is very little reason to do so, as the ability to save money, or get more for the same cost is gone.

Marketing is focused on copying the competition, and only offering deals to be competitive.  Bring back innovation, and leadership, and this place will explode in subscribers again.

@dna2016 wrote:

I think PM should just get rid of that $30 1GB data only plan as well.  I don't think that's competitive or even useful at all.  Just get rid of it, and it'll also even out the "Plans" page to 6.  Looks weird with that one random one hanging by a thread all by its lonesome, lol.

Yes, Fido offers a 4GB data only plan for $15/mon. Used to be 3GB for well over 2 years but now they reduced that plan to $10/mon . See here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-15-byod-no-contract-2078212/

So yes, $30 for 1GB LTE data only plan is nowhere near competitive.

Of course, the 1GB add-on for $30 is also silly...expecially since it only matches whatever data plan you already have... if you have 3G you only get 1GB at 3G... yeesh!

Tony8

The $50 Plan also includes Unlimited US Calling. If you need US calling , this plan seems like a good deal.

dna2016

I think PM should just get rid of that $30 1GB data only plan as well.  I don't think that's competitive or even useful at all.  Just get rid of it, and it'll also even out the "Plans" page to 6.  Looks weird with that one random one hanging by a thread all by its lonesome, lol.

I also do not understand why PM continues to have build-your-own plans with identical prices points as pre-made plans with less features. Either re-price them as is, re-design them be different with a non-overlapping feature set, re-design them to match the pre-made plans with the same pricing so it does not matter whether you select them from above or in the build-your-own plan section, or simply remove the overlapping plans at the same price point.

It just makes things very confusing. otherwise.

Exactly... and with these changes, some of the other plans just do not make sense anymore either:

- $25 for 1GB data + unlt d talk & text (with AutoPay)

but then pay an extra $10 (or $35) for just an extra 500GB (total 1.5GB)

- but then the next plan for at extra $5 (or $40) gives you an extra 2.5GB (total 5GB)?

Then there is a HUGE gap but for another $10 (or $50) you can an additional 3.5GB (total 8.5GB).

That $35 plan does not make a lot of sense anymore either.

If they expired these plans without announcing, it could have taken days before anyone noticed.  The $20 data and $20 talk plans are poor.  Who would take them over the $15 or $25 plan?

Psygineer

@dna2016 wrote:

The $20 talk only plan is pretty useless not that there's more minutes available in that $15 plan.  But even before hand, I'm sure there are very few people who need unlimited talk with no text.  

My parents don't need data/text at all, but unlimited talk is great for them. Unlimited Canada-wide talk with no data and no text would be ideal for them. Text I would accept as a nice perk, but not something they would want to pay extra for (say the $25 plan). They don't like texting, "text is too small to read" or else inflated so much that only a couple of words fit on the screen and too hard for them to type on the tiny letters. Can't use a big phone (LG G Flex), arthritis makes it too hard to hold and makes them drop it, so they have to use the small Lumia 650 I had. They are seniors so every penny they can squeeze the better due to their low pension income. I support them the best I can.

Best guess, the plain talk plans are great for those that don't have the best eyes or the finger dexterity of the youth. I mean yes, the $15 plan might work for them, but having a cap on minutes would make my mother terribly worried about her call lengths. Right now she can call her sister or her sister can call her and they might talk for 2-3 hours. Can't really do that on a 100 minute cap. I mean I could see it being something like my mother [dials her sister] "Call me" [click] then wait for her sister to call her back so she has unlimited talk time, but that seems annoying, especially if she forgets she initiated the call and suddenly out of minutes an hour later.

The texting option though would still be beneficial, even if they have trouble reading/typing, they would be able to get authentication authorizations that way, and I also would be able to send them a text rather than calling to let them know I am coming to pick them up.

Need Help? Let's chat.