Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMO: $30 for 2GB, Limited Time Offer

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

**UPDATE**

The limited-time $30 2GB plan promotion ends Canada-wide on Thursday, September 17, 2020. 

If you have the $30 2GB plan today and want to continue with it, no action is required. However, if you switch to another plan you will not be able to switch back to the $30 2GB plan after September 17, 2020, as it will no longer be available.

For Public Mobile customers in Quebec, the limited-time 500MB data promotion will be expiring with the $30 2GB plan as well on September 17, 2020.

Edit made on September 14, 2020.

Hey Community,

Starting August 7th, 2020, we are offering a $30 2GB plan available for a limited time only.  

What does this mean for you? 

For a limited time, existing customers can change their rate plan to the following:

• $30 per 30 days
  • 500MB + 1GB BONUS data at 3G speeds (per 30 days)
  • 500MB BONUS data when you sign up for auto-pay (per 30 days)
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

Important things to know: 

• Bonus data will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed
  • Previous promotions that have been applied to the account that have been indicated as ‘non-stackable’ will be removed when you switch to this plan. To see if a promotion you currently have applied to your account is ‘non-stackable’ please check the terms of that specific promotion. 

How to get this offer: 

1. Log in on Self Serve
  2. Go to “Plan and Add-ons”
  3. Select “Change Plan”
  4. Select the ready-made plan “$30 for 500MB + 1GB Bonus + 500 MB AutoPay Bonus”. You will have the option of changing your plan immediately or upon the next renewal date.

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

175 REPLIES 175

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Implying worse coverage with PM is, I assume, a lie - unless Telus has 1 single tower somewhere in the country that cannot be used with PM for the sole purpose of being technically able to say coverage with PM is worse LOL.

Speed is based on need. I've found that PM's speed is really all I need. I don't need to watch HD videos (though it would be nice on occasion) while not on WiFi, & other things I use on the go like Facebook / email / web work well.

Though if I see a good offer for a plan with a new 5G phone that I want at an excellent price (for Boxing Day for example), I could be lured over.  So far, everything I've seen is crappy.  And I'm in no rush - I'm mostly satisfied with PM right now, along with paying a reasonable price.

@Kvee88 wrote:

Telus Rep just tried to get me to switch to Koodo/stay with Telus instead of PM, and used coverage and speeds as an excuse.

@Kvee88 That's funny seeing as how all 3 use the same towers.

Kvee88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous  Yes it was actually a Telus rep. Like I said I talked with them for a good hour and got nowhere, as soon as I said I was switching to Public Mobile he started telling me about shotty coverage and slow speeds. I didn't really look into it before switching to see what networks PM used, my brother in law has a couple phones with PM so I knew it couldn't be that bad. Telus Rep just tried to get me to switch to Koodo/stay with Telus instead of PM, and used coverage and speeds as an excuse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kvee88 : Telus themselves told you that?! Wow. I would expect that from some mall vendor but not Telus. Interesting. I can't imagine that would be an official Telus stance and that more likely just some perception of the call centre agent you spoke to.

I should go into my local real Telus store and see what they say for fun.

Kvee88

@kb_mv whatever way it is it works perfectly fine for me with no coverage interruptions, I can make and take calls, access the internet and all my apps when I'm not on wifi. Telus told me I would have crappy service 🙄 but anywhere I go its perfectly fine. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kvee88 : This place requires 3G for voice but can use 4G for data and texting. It can also use 3G for data and texting. 4G for data is throttled down in speed to 3Mbps.

@Kvee88 wrote:

@Anonymous Yup my experience exactly, and I have tv+internet with Telus so you'd think the loyalty Department would have done more but no way no how. The only difference is PM uses the 3G network which telus used to try and sway my decision as well as trying to get me to switch to koodo. I'm not in a city and my coverage is fine with PM. Still very happy with my switch

@Kvee88 To be clear, your data with PM is over the LTE network, throttled to 3G speeds.

Kvee88

@Anonymous Yup my experience exactly, and I have tv+internet with Telus so you'd think the loyalty Department would have done more but no way no how. The only difference is PM uses the 3G network which telus used to try and sway my decision as well as trying to get me to switch to koodo. I'm not in a city and my coverage is fine with PM. Still very happy with my switch

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kvee88 : No indeed. I had been with Telus for like ever. The best their loyalty department could do (and still just recently) was about $65. I shopped around. I was heading to Koodo when I learned of the existence of this place. Haven't looked back. I'm still with Telus though 🙂

Kvee88

Public Mobile is owned by telus, I talked with a Telus representative for a good hour trying to understand why they could offer it with PM but not with Telus. Telus has very limited plan options and very high prices in comparison, you would think they would want to keep their Telus customers but guess not.

@Anonymous wrote:

And I would add that there could be a trust issue of giving at minimum a real email address. It could be changed later by the mods but still...extra hassle. As darlicious was alluding to...regulars here would be happy to meet up with you to get you going. Regulars have spares. They would like the referral for their troubles but they're all around helpful folks in that you don't HAVE to use their referral. You get the SIM and walk away. No obligation. I'm sure there are sterile ways to make the acquisition.

If anyone is in the Hub City area and needs a hand..... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dreadre 

I can't be too specific because it would be considered advertising. What I will say is that there are private online sellers who will allow you to (or require you to) activate the sim card before you get it. Check online marketplaces for that. Whie you lose out on paid days of service while the SIM is in the mail, you would also lock in the promotion.

And I would add that there could be a trust issue of giving at minimum a real email address. It could be changed later by the mods but still...extra hassle. As darlicious was alluding to...regulars here would be happy to meet up with you to get you going. Regulars have spares. They would like the referral for their troubles but they're all around helpful folks in that you don't HAVE to use their referral. You get the SIM and walk away. No obligation. I'm sure there are sterile ways to make the acquisition.

@dreadre 

I can't be too specific because it would be considered advertising. What I will say is that there are private online sellers who will allow you to (or require you to) activate the sim card before you get it. Check online marketplaces for that. Whie you lose out on paid days of service while the SIM is in the mail, you would also lock in the promotion.

dreadre

Thanks. I've never heard of these third parties. Can you share them with me? 

@dreadre 

That's unfortunate that you missed out on the plan you wanted and short sighted of pm to not actually add it as a regular plan let alone eliminate it with barely any notice and with a poorly worded/ambiguous time ( sometime on the 17th). The community is a very helpful bunch had you told us your issue a little sooner we could have come up with a solution for you. ( I live in Vancouver and have a little addiction to buying cheap sim cards......)

Unlike a flash sale promotion a plan promotion once removed from self serve isn't something you could just add to ones account like a credit. So in your case your request to be offered the $30/2gb is not an easy task so very unlikely to be granted. Register your email for the flash sale and thenbtake a few days to decide which plan suits you better. The $25/1gb, $35/2gb or the $40/5gb?

I have a feeling you would get along ok on the $25/1gb especially if you're staying home a lot and on WiFi. Or you could activate on the $40/5gb plan take your first week or two and be a little conservative, enable all your data saving functions and test out how much data you really use.......then go hog wild for the second 15 days o your plan and enjoy the rest of the 5gb of data on your plan. Once you decide what you really need wait for the $40 credit to be applied to the account and schedule any plan change to occur on your next renewal.

If you think you might need a little more than 1gb every month the $15/1gb data add on might suit your needs. It will remain on your account until completely consumed. So having a buffer to rely on each month will only cost you a few dollars more each month.($1.50/100mb, $3.75/250mb,$7.50/500mb.....) If you find you use almost the whole 1gb data add on then change on the next renewal to the $35/2gb plan or just pay the extra $5 for 3gb's more and get the $40/5gb plan.

Public mobile could always offer the $30/2gb plan again or something similar....

@dreadre wrote:

I live in Vancouver, and yes Covid has been difficult all around. Unfortunately, I'm immunocompromised, so I am limiting my interactions to the absolute essentials. I understand there are delays, but I hope some adjustments can be made to accomodate to the gaps in the arrival of SIM cards purchased during the promotion.

For future reference, when there is an announced end date for a promotion, there are unofficial ways to get things done by pre-activating a sim card provided by a third party who then mails it it to you. The dowside is losing some days of service while your sim card is in transit, but the upside is securing the offer.

dreadre

I live in Vancouver, and yes Covid has been difficult all around. Unfortunately, I'm immunocompromised, so I am limiting my interactions to the absolute essentials. I understand there are delays, but I hope some adjustments can be made to accomodate to the gaps in the arrival of SIM cards purchased during the promotion.

dreadre

Thanks so much for the quick reply! This was actually really helpful and I'll check out these options. Much appreciated! 

@dreadre wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. With all due respect, how was I supposed to activate this promotion if I wasn't able to receive the SIM card? It seems odd that the SIM card took so long to arrive, and it happened to be right after the promotion expired. The lower cost was the entire reason why I ordered a SIM, otherwise I may consider switching since there are some other great other back to school promos at the moment. Please let me know if there is any way to honour the promotion so that I can make my decision. 

You are free to ask the moderators for consideration, but they might say either yes or no.   I know you wanted the $30 plan, but currently there is an offer for the second 30 days of service being free. Details are at: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/fs2020 . Be sure to submit your e-mail address by Monday 11:59pm EDT and activate online by October 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dreadre wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. With all due respect, how was I supposed to activate this promotion if I wasn't able to receive the SIM card? It seems odd that the SIM card took so long to arrive, and it happened to be right after the promotion expired. The lower cost was the entire reason why I ordered a SIM, otherwise I may consider switching since there are some other great other back to school promos at the moment. Please let me know if there is any way to honour the promotion so that I can make my decision. 

Covid is causing delays in all deliveries. Obviously this is out of the hands of Public Mobile. Or in how they're trying to cope. Do you live/work somewhere remote that you weren't able to get to one of the many retailers that sell SIM's?

dreadre

@dreadre wrote:

I saw this offer but could not activate it without a SIM card. I ordered the SIM card two weeks ago and it only just arrived. I see that the deal has now expired but I only wanted to join public mobile for that deal. I can show proof that I ordered my SIM before the deal expired, is it possible to have it applied to my account? 

Sorry, but this offfer is no longer available. This plan needed to activated while available. 

dreadre

I saw this offer but could not activate it without a SIM card. I ordered the SIM card two weeks ago and it only just arrived. I see that the deal has now expired but I only wanted to join public mobile for that deal. I can show proof that I ordered my SIM before the deal expired, is it possible to have it applied to my account? 

@bluejaywpg 

I agree with that part....so much easier to end things at 3 AM eastern so it is midnight Pacific. What’s wrong with giving eastern three bonus hours to ensure the entire country has until the Official “end of the day”. But it is what it is and has PM has been like that for the two years I have been here.

And as for “until further notice” promos, you should have seen the mess last Nov/Dec where one promo morphed into another all the while having a stackable Additional referral bonus that was on “until further notice”. The other promos ended on about Jan 2 or so but there was still no word on the referral bonus ending. Then it was suddenly “oh yeah, that ended day before yesterday” through I don't think there was EVER an “its over now” Message, people just stopped getting the referral bonus. 

Yes they could do better but I keep reminding people that PM isn’t a new startup trying to outperform the incumbent leaders. It is a tier 3 provider owned by an incumbent trying to NOT outperform anyone. Those who want the savings have to put up with the silly way some things operate here which IMHO some of The problems are not fixed.... on purpose. The only things that get fixed are the particularly troublesome glitches that maybe eat up way too much moderator time constantly fixing and even that rarely happens.

So, it is what it is!

AE_Collector

bluejaywpg

@AE_Collector that's another thing I don't like, which applies potentially to all companies with a national presence - things ending at 1159pm eastern time. Why eastern? Very Toronto-centric thinking, when they could end it at 3am eastern time so that everyone in the west has a chance all day long to take advantage of such offers.

bluejaywpg

@computergeek541 yup, they could've said ahead of time that the promo is good until September 17 at 1159pm PDT (Vancouver time) at which point the price reverts to the regular price of $35 for the same plan (without referring to bonus data). It doesn't take a professional PR department to figure out that might be a better idea.

PM got the date right so they technically could've ended it at any time, but it was a really bad PR move to end it in the MORNING of that day. As I said in another reply, most if not all businesses allow offers to be good all day long until the end of the day, unless a date AND time are specified.

@bluejaywpg 

I would assume at midnight eastern / 9 pm pacific. Everything at PM starts/stops at 9PM Pacific in my almost 2 years here.

So at least the plan is now 1.5 Gb plus 500 Mb Autopay bonus like the rest of the $25 and higher plans. But I am surprised that it actually went back to $35.

AE_Collector

@bluejaywpg wrote:

What time did this offer end today? Not to be a stickler or constant complainer, but more for future reference - it's still Thursday September 17 where I live but the offer is gone & now replaced by what looks like the same plan but for $35. I was thinking about switching but I guess it's too late now. I wish I had checked earlier but I was busy for most of the day. Oh well, I'll stick with my current plan & consider the next promo.

Public Mobile definitely got this one wrong. More troubling is the lack of response about the concerns and complaints about this, and even a situation in which a moderator would not or could not get a customer onto the $30 plan despite this being Public Mobile's error. Then to make an annoucement about a new, worse plan as if it's a good thing is laughable. 

bluejaywpg

What time did this offer end today? Not to be a stickler or constant complainer, but more for future reference - it's still Thursday September 17 where I live but the offer is gone & now replaced by what looks like the same plan but for $35. I was thinking about switching but I guess it's too late now. I wish I had checked earlier but I was busy for most of the day. Oh well, I'll stick with my current plan & consider the next promo.

I cant find any indication on the plans page that it is ending on Sept 17. Where is the notice hiding? I feel as though Ive seen this before, notice of a promo coming to an end only to have it become a regular plan rather than disappearing. It could get changed to be more similar to the 1 and 5 Gb plans with 1.5Gb data and 1/2 Gb autopay bonus. 

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.