Select ready-made plans expiring April 22nd

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

As of April 22nd, 11:59 PM, the following price plans are being expired:

• $25 for 1 GB at 3G speed
  • $40 for 5 GB at 3G speed
  • $45 for 6.5 GB at 3G speed

If you’re interested in taking advantage of these ready-made plans while they’re still available, learn how you can set up a future-dated plan change on your next renewal date by clicking here. By doing so before April 22nd, your plan will automatically change to the plan that you choose on your next cycle.

To check out our other plans, go to publicmobile.ca/plans.

Have some questions about this change? Check out our FAQs or post below.

-Public Mobile Community Team

FAQ

Question

Answer

Will I keep the same plan forever? Will my plan change?

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

168 REPLIES 168

@dumbdobie1 wrote:

It's been a good run. I suggest everyone lock in their plans now, those plans are a great value.

That’s the frustrating thing! I switched to PM in December because it is so easy to switch plans every 30 data! I need much more data in the June-Sept cabin (no wifi) time frame but much less the rest of the year. Started on 1/2 gig that quickly became 1 gig and was going to do 5 gig through summer. I can switch a little early to 5 gig now but there won’t be a 1 gig $25-30 plan to come back to. Frustrating. But, I suspect more plans will be launched soon. Maybe roll over data? Or free 2G speedwhen 3G or LTE data is used up for the month? Terry

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mojorising wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@homer wrote:

Just read through the ToS and found the answer of this question: 

@Alan_K wrote:

Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/plans 

They can create or end the availability of any promo or inmarket plan whenever they want, without any warning.  It’s when they change your active plan (or to be renewed or reactivated plan) they give notice, and the change applies 30 days later.

I don't think I like the sound of this where they can jack up the price of your current plan or  change it to the current equivalent plan. I shall see how it goes as I stay with PM.

If am afraid if you don't like the Sound of this then you can not have cell phone service in Canada because that clause exist with almost all service Providers in Canada. However in General Telus Group of companies don't normally jack up prices on existing plans. They have done it but they are least likely to Start the Price Jacking.

@Anonymous wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luddite and @mimmo. There is only 1 plan for $25 with data. All the plans mentioned would be talk/text/data.

Just sayin' 🙂

@Anonymous  there is officially no 25$ plan with 1gb of data. The $25 plan comes with only 500mb of data and if you enable autopay you get a bonus of 500mb. 

Also 1gb is 1024mb where as 500mb +500mb =1000mb 

Yes you are right there is only 1 $25 plan with data, but just saying let's be precise in exactly what is being announced/advertised, as some people are more picky with details than others. 

There is no precision required when it's all of one possibility. If there was some kind ambiguity then sure.

And if you really wanna get carried away with technical specifics, what would commonly be referred to as 1GB is commonly known as 1,000,000,000 bytes. But if you actually want to be properly binary about it, the number comes to 1,073,741,824 (or 2³º)

There's just one $25 plan with data...no need to ask for any clarity.

But there is another 1gb plan. It’s $35 and also comes with 1/2 gig bonus data if on autopay.

@6500K wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luddite and @mimmo. There is only 1 plan for $25 with data. All the plans mentioned would be talk/text/data.

Just sayin' 🙂

@Anonymous  there is officially no 25$ plan with 1gb of data. The $25 plan comes with only 500mb of data and if you enable autopay you get a bonus of 500mb. 

Also 1gb is 1024mb where as 500mb +500mb =1000mb 

Yes you are right there is only 1 $25 plan with data, but just saying let's be precise in exactly what is being announced/advertised, as some people are more picky with details than others. 

I agree with @mimmo - in business, as well as any other time, the terms should be as clear as possible so that there is no ambiguity or confusion.  It is just good sense to have clear communication.

I agree as well. Not 100% clear as anyone who isn’t using autopay isn’t on any of the discontinued plans quoted. A little picky but not clear and concise.

finshipper
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, you can activate with Public Mobile now, and when you're ready to port her number you can do so through self-serve in the account.  Once you login there's an option under My Profile to change number.  It walks you through the steps and is very simple to do.  You will need the account number or device IMEI or account PIN#  with Virgin, and the name of the account holder. Just be sure to check the box that says you are authorized to change the number.  

I just did the same since I had a large balance on my prepaid account with PC Mobile, and ported the number once I had used most of it up.  Just remember the Virgin account must still be active when you port the number!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@acmethod wrote:

If she kills the virgin account early she has to pay a penalty. 😞

@acmethod I highly doubt it.  Carriers have not been allowed to charge cancellation or early contract termination fees for a few years now.  All they can do is charge you for any device purchase balance that may be outstanding.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Pizzaeh

@acmethod wrote:

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

You could activate the SIM for the $25 plan, but it has to be before the end of April 22nd.  As for whether to port her line sooner rather than later, that depends on how much the penalty amount is, and whether in the long run will it save $$$.  If you don't mind sharing, how much is the penaly and what is she paying with Virgin per month for what data/talk/text amounts?

acmethod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm converting my mother in-laws phone and she'd like to take advantage of the $25 1GB @ 3G.

She still has time on her virgin mobile contract, is it possible to activate her sim and start her new account, and port her virgin phone number over a little bit later?

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

Just a thought, isn't this discount offer due to a CRTC ruling forcing them to provide it?

Ha ha ha CRTC forcing good one ahh good times 🙂

Yeah, I know... was hard to type that without laughing my butt off.... 😛

Riverman

I did the exact same thing for the same reason, just read about the coming changes and tried to go back to my old 4.5gb for $40 plan but the system must be overloaded with others doing the same thing.

Not a happy camper.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duffer900 wrote:

Just a thought, isn't this discount offer due to a CRTC ruling forcing them to provide it?

Ha ha ha CRTC forcing good one ahh good times 🙂

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Tor9898 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@steff12321 wrote:

Are these expiring to make space for more exciting offers? 😮

Judging by how Koodo increased their pricing, I'm afraid prices might be going up Smiley Sad

Hopefully PM is not making that mistake. There is already competetive plans (even better on medium data usage) from the competitors out there. 

I hope they don't either... Just a thought, isn't this discount offer due to a CRTC ruling forcing them to provide it? Maybe that will keep the pricing in line to a certain extent. I could be wrong ...

Tor9898
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@geopublic wrote:

@steff12321 wrote:

Are these expiring to make space for more exciting offers? 😮

Judging by how Koodo increased their pricing, I'm afraid prices might be going up Smiley Sad

Hopefully PM is not making that mistake. There is already competetive plans (even better on medium data usage) from the competitors out there. 

mojorising

@stonechucker wrote:

@homer wrote:

Just read through the ToS and found the answer of this question: 

@Alan_K wrote:

Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/plans 

They can create or end the availability of any promo or inmarket plan whenever they want, without any warning.  It’s when they change your active plan (or to be renewed or reactivated plan) they give notice, and the change applies 30 days later.

I don't think I like the sound of this where they can jack up the price of your current plan or  change it to the current equivalent plan. I shall see how it goes as I stay with PM.

troyfy

I changed from the $40 to the $15 plan for a month while I'm out of the country. I hope they have a similar or better plan in May!

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Then yes. There are people here still on a famous plan from the fall of 2016. Of course if you change plans then if a promo plan is no longer available then you can't go back to it.

What were those fall 2016 promo plans?

@zxcvbnm 

The Fall 2016 promo plan included unlimited province-wide calling, unlimited international texting, and 12 GB of LTE data over 90 days for $120.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zxcvbnm wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Hi, i just need one clarification

I am currently waiting for my SIM card to arrive and was planning to get the talk+text+500mb+500mb plan at 25$, but now i read that it will expire.

So assuming that i receive my SIM card before april 22th and subscribe to this plan, will i be able to keep it forever, or will i be forced to choose another plan next month ?

There's no such thing as forever. The company can change things whenever they like. They should give some notice but they can still change things.

Yeah i realise "forever" is quite a long time. In the past i have been with Koodo and Bell and they let you stay on long-forgotten plans as long as you don't change it. My question was more about checking if PM usually let you keep promotional plans you're subscribed to after they expire or not. I'm very new to this pre-paid concept.

Then yes. There are people here still on a famous plan from the fall of 2016. Of course if you change plans then if a promo plan is no longer available then you can't go back to it.

Before my time. It was a 90 day plan that many regulars here still have and continue to flip flop over whether they can let it go.

I'm sure they can describe it if they wish.

MrYeuk

This is technically incorrect, according to TOS.

They can change prices for your existing plan on a whim (with notification).

Most carriers recognize this as poor business practice and choose not to.  PM once tried to jack up the $40/4GB price on an old promo and faced major backlash.

Still...Fido and Virgin do it all the time...part of why I left for PM.  Hopefully they don't follow suit.  If they do, there really is no "choice" (even though PM is still Telus).  Perhaps it'd be good to say there would no longer be any "value."

MrYeuk

Check your account usage.

PM follows the 1024mb/gb rule.

I have 4.5 + 500 and it shows 5,120 MB.

zxcvbnm

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

I am currently waiting for my SIM card to arrive and was planning to get the talk+text+500mb+500mb plan at 25$, but now i read that it will expire.

So assuming that i receive my SIM card before april 22th and subscribe to this plan, will i be able to keep it forever, or will i be forced to choose another plan next month ?

There's no such thing as forever. The company can change things whenever they like. They should give some notice but they can still change things.

Yeah i realise "forever" is quite a long time. In the past i have been with Koodo and Bell and they let you stay on long-forgotten plans as long as you don't change it. My question was more about checking if PM usually let you keep promotional plans you're subscribed to after they expire or not. I'm very new to this pre-paid concept.

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Yes as others have already said you should be able to keep your plan but for how long no-one can say.  It seems the 'grandfathering clause' is also being 'retired' by more and more companies these days.  My bank recently retired some of their plans but no longer allow you to keep the old plan, effectively making you pay more for the newer offerings.  Hoping PM won't follow! 

I'm hoping to retire this Friday. 🤞

Happy retirement! 🙂

Pizzaeh

@dabr wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Yes as others have already said you should be able to keep your plan but for how long no-one can say.  It seems the 'grandfathering clause' is also being 'retired' by more and more companies these days.  My bank recently retired some of their plans but no longer allow you to keep the old plan, effectively making you pay more for the newer offerings.  Hoping PM won't follow! 

I'm hoping to retire this Friday. 🤞

@Claireleau wrote:

dumbdobie1

It's been a good run. I suggest everyone lock in their plans now, those plans are a great value.

@Claireleau wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Yes, you can keep the plan after Public Mobile stops offering it to people who don't already have it.  However, if z10user4 didn't say something such as what was said about the uncertainties about a carrier being able to change plans on existing customers, some members might then blame him for not warning them should Public Mobile ever increase prices or change plan features included in these plans.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Claireleau wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Claireleau

@Anonymous wrote:

@Claireleau wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Claireleau wrote:

Pizzaeh

@Claireleau wrote:

Forever is a long time.  Take a look at the announcement here and read through the FAQ's.

FAQ

Question

Answer

Please refer to our Terms_of_Service for more information about our plans.

My current plan is one of the ones set to expire. Is any action required from me?

If you would like to continue on your current plan, no change is required.

I currently have one of these plans. If I switch to another plan, can I switch back?

You can switch back to these plans up to April 22nd. After that, these plans will no longer be available.

Claireleau

Wonderful, thank you

Need Help? Let's chat.