Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture and Group Messaging Changes

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We’re here to share an update about picture and group messaging features. As technology evolves, select customers may be required to update either their settings or upgrade their device to continue benefiting Multimedia Messaging Service, better known as MMS. 

Who is affected by this change?
Customers may be affected if:

• The most recent software update from the manufacturer has not been installed
  • Devices are no longer supported by the manufacturer’s software updates
  • Devices are purchased outside Canada

Affected customers will receive an SMS or email notifying them of next steps in order to continue using Multimedia Messaging Services. 

What is MMS?
Multimedia Messaging Service is the way mobile devices send and receive pictures, videos and group conversations across networks.

MMS is supported across phone manufacturers and operating systems on nearly all phone models that have data capabilities. MMS messages are sent through your normal messaging app that sends and receives text messages. 

Note: Third-party messaging services, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, that have picture, video and group message features are not affected by this change.

What do I do if I get an email or SMS saying I need a new or replacement device?
As our network evolves, older devices (usually from 2015 or earlier) may require replacement. We regularly make network updates to ensure our customers are kept up-to-date with the latest security and software updates from manufacturers. 

If you’re looking to upgrade your device, we have partnered with Mobile Klinik to bring you top-quality Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) phones that are tested and inspected by expert technicians to work like new at a fraction of the cost. With over 150 store locations across Canada, and an online website, Mobile Klinik offer's convenient access to a wide selection of refurbished devices that are backed by a 1 year warranty.

For more information on how to update your settings (IOS & Android) or device recommendation to ensure compatibility, review this Help Article. 

The Public Mobile Team

22 REPLIES 22

Mas-Jedi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

One question I have is, during phone calls (on 5G) the MMS and text does not work at all... does this update fixes the issue?

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My phone is Alcatel Lume and I managed to get it to work and relieved mms works again @MetaMorpheusMob 

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have been wondering why I've not been able to receive mms photos since yesterday and will say this is very disappointing move by public for those of us with older devices that were working perfectly fine until this change was introduced which I don't understand the reason for either.

Update, have changed the apn settings as mentioned but still not able to download mms so very disappointed at this point.

Another update, I guess I needed to wait a few more minutes after changing apn and rebooting as the mms finally downloaded!

@will13am wrote:

Editing APN settings should be relatively straightforward.  People reporting data and MMS issues have been directed to checking and updating APNs all the time.  Getting a new phone would seem rather over the top.  

@will13am , thank you, I didn’t think of that! I panicked, sorry 😔 

HI @DoopyElephant 

yes, you always need to turn on mobile data to receive MMS

DoopyElephant
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone supports mms do I have to turn on my data for it and does it use my data. I have the 15$/m plan.

free7reigns
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looks like i can txt some people but not others

Whats settings change can i do??

Blutooth also sounds crap

So lets get this straight you CRTC companies decided to limit some phones and freq

Theres a complaint right there

@J_PM wrote:

@Me0W the team has confirmed the ZTE Cymbal 2 Flip Phone  will still be supported for these features 👍

@J_PM , thank you so much for letting Us know! 2 were just purchased in December for seniors & they have no need for smart phones.

Your patience is greatly appreciated. 🤗 

@Me0W the team has confirmed the ZTE Cymbal 2 Flip Phone  will still be supported for these features 👍

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This would explain why the last few days pictures I've sent to flip phones have been 'Unable to Download' on their end. 

Thank you for the official update. 🙏 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Editing APN settings should be relatively straightforward.  People reporting data and MMS issues have been directed to checking and updating APNs all the time.  Getting a new phone would seem rather over the top.  

I was actually also wondering if this is simply an APN settings change or if there is a technological change that would prvent the MMS from working.

The link in the OP points to APN settings.  Most of the regulars in the community are familiar with APN settings.  Customer having data related issues do ask about it from time to time.  APN change is a solvable problem even for older phones.  

@will13am wrote:

I was actually also wondering if this is simply an APN settings change or if there is a technological change that would prvent the MMS from working.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks @J_PM  for confirming

Yes, with phone, we can long longer expect to keep using it without upgrade  🙂

NSChris
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Does anyone know the software version this includes.   Android version 8.0.0, Patch Nov 1,2020 

She's old but not that old. MMS usually involves data to some extent, is that the reason for the change .  Can I get more of a technical explaination 

@J_PM wrote:

@LitlLdy They can still use these phone types. Likely for basic needs talk & text (as you mentioned) vs. media activity like photos and group chats - not user friendly, compared to operating on a smartphone model.  

@J_PM , ok no more picture (mms) messages for them on their new phone! 😞 

Thank you for the prompt response.

@LitlLdy They can still use these phone types. Likely for basic needs talk & text (as you mentioned) vs. media activity like photos and group chats - not user friendly, compared to operating on a smartphone model.  

Correct. All Carriers are affected. 

Thanks @J_PM .  We heard this from Telus earlier

this is not a Telus only initiatives but for all providers?

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , that would likely be bad for the Customers using flip phones (like the ZTE Cymbal 2 Flip Phone purchased from Public Mobile in December 2022) then for their basic needs or not wanting/needing a smart phone! 😞 

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM I do concur with this too

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM  Thanks for the update !

Need Help? Let's chat.