Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points Rewards

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are happy to announce the launch of Public Points! 

Starting on January 25, 2022, Public Mobile customers who activate, will automatically be part of Public Points. This means that customers who activated prior to January 25, 2022 will remain on old Public Rewards without any change to the way or amount earned. Don’t worry, these customers can still join Public Points. 

Jade_S_0-1643120205986.png

What is Public Points? 

Public Points is our newly improved rewards program. Sure, we loved Public Rewards, but in our endless pursuit of making things better for our customers, we’ve given it a makeover and made it more flexible than before. 

With Public Points you can:

• Earn points. Public Points are so easy to earn, you’ll be rich in no time.
  • Redeem points. We make redeeming points simple. 1 point earned = 1 dollar when redeemed.  
  • Start saving. Redeem points on things that matter to you - like money off your bill, free add-ons, or the chance to win awesome prizes. 
  • Join whenever you want. Learn more here

Ways to earn Public Points:

With Public Points, earning points is so easy, you  can do it just by saying, "I'm in." And that's actually one of the ways you can earn points – by joining Public Points. There are a lot of other ways you can earn too:

Reward

Points Earned

How do I earn it?

When do I receive it?

One-time

Welcome Present

5 points

As a little welcome present for joining Public Points, we’ll give you 5 points.

Your Welcome Present will be added after we’ve set up your profile, you’ve signed into My Rewards, and you’ve accepted the Terms & Conditions

Loyalty Perks

1 point for every month with Public

As if welcome points didn't sound nice enough, you'll also earn 1 point for every month you've been with Public Mobile

Automatically added after you’ve joined Public Points, and we’ve set up your profile on My Rewards.

Reoccurring

Points Back

5% back for every dollar spent

Earn points just by paying your bill. For every dollar you spend (on your plan and on add-ons), you’ll make 5% of it back in points. Spend away!

Within 48 hours of your spend

Anniversary Points

10 points

For every twelve months you stay with us, you’ll earn 10 points. Think of it like an anniversary present!

Note: time spent in suspend status is still counted towards your Anniversary.

On your Anniversary date

Give Back

1-20 points

Earn up to 20 points every 30 days by asking questions, helping others and voicing your opinion on the Public Mobile Community.

Community standings are released the first week of the following month, and Give Back points are added within 48 hours. 

Refer-a-Friend

1 point every 30 days / active friend you referred

Refer a friend to Public Mobile, and you’ll receive one point for every 30 days your friend stays with us. 

Your friend will also receive a one-time $10 credit when they use your referral code.

Note: your referral code can be found on your My Rewards homepage. 

Every 30 days from your renewal date

Ways to redeem Public Points:

Unlike some other rewards programs, there isn’t a specific way or time limit to cash-in yourpoints. When and how you redeem your points is entirely up to you! Just keep in mind that 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed. Really, that’s it!

Rewards include: 

Catalogue Item

Points Cost

Description

When do I receive it?

Lower Your Bill

15 points

By spending 15 easily-earned points, customers can save $15 in hard-earned cash off of the price of their phone bill.

This will be applied to your next renewal

Add Some Extras

Varies

We’ve got plenty of add-ons for varying amounts of points. Roaming? Add-on a little. Long distance minutes? Add-on some more. Extra data? Add-on a whole lot! It’s entirely up to you..

Add-ons will be added immediately. 

In rare cases, it may take a few hours to appear in your account. 

If you haven’t received your add-on, please contact us for support. 

Jackpot

1 point

Enter our contests for a chance to win some exciting prizes. Contest details vary, but we'll send you an email with all the details whenever we launch new ones.

Contest winners will be contacted soon after contests close. 

Rewards Calculator 

Wonder how many  Public Points you could be raking in? Check outour rewards calculator. This tool will compare your old Public Rewards against Public Points. Simply input your information, and watch your points pile up! 

Note: this tool is only for estimation purposes. There may be inaccuracies between the estimated amount and your actual Public Points earning amount  

How to access Rewards:

My Rewards is your new home for all things rewards - all your points are kept in one neat, little place. Simply sign in with your My Account information to start earning and spending points. 

Do you have more questions about Public Points? Check out these FAQs here 

Thank you Community for your support! Remember we have our Oracle and Public Mobile teams to assist with any questions you have. Happy earning! 

- Public Mobile Team

297 REPLIES 297

InternM001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can we still keep our old (unused) rewards on account if we enroll in the rewards points program? I have rewards such as the bonus 2GBs of data from Christmas along with 500 international call minutes which I am worried will be cancelled if I sign up. I also still have the bonus 3GB of bonus data from when I originally signed up with Public over a year ago. If I cannot keep these old (unused) rewards then I won't enroll in the rewards points program

@barndoor wrote:

Just curious ....can someone address the option of opting out of the points plan ... who in their right mind would  opt out ? or is it just an option the legal department has to include ? 

HI @barndoor   this is more for legal.

Anyone will opt-out, still possible  Although PM service is not targeted for business, but some business would like to opt out rewards system

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just curious ....can someone address the option of opting out of the points plan ... who in their right mind would  opt out ? or is it just an option the legal department has to include ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Namu wrote:

How do the points work?

@Namu:  Public Points

Namu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

How do the points work?

@iamnightowl wrote:

Im on auto pay (2$ every 30 days).

If I change my plan from 40$ into 25$, 

would this change into new rewards?

@iamnightowl   No.  Changing plan would NOT switch you onto the new reward system.  So, no worry, just make the plan change

@iamnightowl wrote:

@iamnightowl  changing plans will not automatically opt you in to the new rewards system (at least, not yet anyways).

iamnightowl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

killer23d

You can send me those Mickey D cards to me then, those are still good in BC and they are still on the cups. I checked and the physical stickers do not have expiration date, the stamps on the app supposed to expire on Feb 28, but somehow they converted those to points.

When there are so many confusions, it means the language is not clear. My complaint is not about the new program, is about how they handle it. Multiple messages were posted and edited on the initial days and was pitched that the new point system is far superior and everyone should switch over; only at the very end they mentioned it is optional. The next is the plan change page, it is still widely advertised autopay savings when it is no longer available. I changed my plan on the past billing cycle based on what is being advertised. PM is aware of this web site behavior yet does nothing.

How do we know the new points system is worse deal? Not until someone like me posted the reward catalogue and then the community came together to determine what is best. PM should have been more upfront and transparent on what is being offered in the first place.

@BEER 

Once I exhaust all the add-ons and "points", I might take this line back to Shaw or SpeakOut.

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

reward system changes all the time, what can you do?

my McDonalds coffee card will no longer useful after Feb 28.. where to complain? I thought they are like case for life

Anyone in Toronto? you remember TTC token? we missed the last day to exchange back for money and they use "monopoly" money now 

Telus is generous enough to allow us to stick with the old system.  Why still complain ? People switched by accident? too bad, .

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@killer23d wrote:

PSA: If you have joined the new reward program by mistake, there is no turning back.

I just received a PM from one of the mods and once it is transferred, it's done. 😕

Yup .. but now you have all sort of $ points that you can do with as you please. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic 

Oh gawd! Not that dirty dawg fido! You can't unteach an old dawg' s dirty tricks!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, that sucks if that becomes true, the minute they implement the rewards program changes on us existing customers, I will switch back to Lucky Mobile, or maybe even switch to Lum (Loom) Mobile (SaskTel's flanker brand) or Fido.

killer23d

You are absolutely correct, the TOS is for them and the wireless code is for us, but our wireless code is drafted with Big 3 benefits in mind.

You are also correct they have cornered the market, and you can go either Chatr or Lucky which is roughly similar in costs and service, and the reward program is likely the reason you will stay with PM.

This is definitely not the first when features/services get discontinued with all the carriers, just with post-paid, there's a contract and they compensate wel.l For prepaid, they just do whatever they want as long as they provide the said service.

Greg45

I am quite sure that somewhere deep inside their TOS they can do whatever they want, but the negative publicity won't help the Telus brand. The biggest problem for all of us is that there is no option to P.M.

killer23d

Unlike US, class actions in Canada is a very lengthy and complicated process. Keep in mind there is no contractual obligations with PM outside of the wireless code (Prepaid service). The points system by itself is a reward program, a bonus, not a service governed by the wireless code. Unless there is a breach of contract, the court will not accept a class action of a discontinuation of a reward program.

Telus can remove the program if they want, but at the same time, they don't want their fluid clienteles to go to Rogers or Bell. But I always support with my money, when I reduce my spending or leave, that's part of voicing my complaint.

killer23d

Not a friend, just someone who happened to deal my issues at the corporate level. The point system is new, think about it as pilot. They are testing the water with the conversion and when the number reaches critical mass, they will switch everyone over. But based on how it is being implemented to the Telus brand, as a flanker brand, PM customers will get converted that's for sure.

Greg45

Appreciate the update and the work you have put into voicing our concerns over this scam.

I think our early emails from P.M. stated that we didn't have to move to the Points from the Rewards system unless we wanted to. Class action might in our future.

@killer23d wrote:

I've just spoken with someone higher-up with Telus, the new point system currently is a "transition period". Although no solid timeline has been determined, eventually EVERYONE will be migrated over to the point system as an unified corporate strategy.

HI @killer23d   thanks for the insider info. 

But May I ask how high up?  Who was the person?

We see quiet some "insider news" daily.  Half of them are real, half of them are not.  

And the keyword " no solid timeline has been determined" , this can make this insider news always valid.  Your high up friend can tell you 5 years later, "Yes, it is coming, it will come one day"

killer23d

I've just spoken with someone higher-up with Telus, the new point system currently is a "transition period". Although no solid timeline has been determined, eventually EVERYONE will be migrated over to the point system as an unified corporate strategy.

PM Marketing team is fully aware of the disaster or should i say cluster-f ? But their goal is to move forward and will have better languages and notifications in the future to reduce confusion.

I highly encourage those who has been negatively impacted by this change to reach out to CS, then file a CCTS complaint if unresolved, while this issue is still hot.

Meanwhile... Telus is enjoying another fantastic year in the pandemic, and I wish I get a raise like that:

Consolidated Revenue, Net Income, and Adjusted EBITDA grew 20 per cent, 145 per cent, and 7.6 per cent, respectively; excluding the recognized gain on sale of financial solutions business, Revenue and Net Income up 10 per cent and 16 per cent, respectively

https://www.telus.com/en/about/news-and-events/media-releases/telus-reports-operational-and-financia...

harshanathani

Well, the old plan has much better rewards. People who are 2 years or more with PM are better off with the old rewards plan. Hope the old rewards remain.

@iamnightowl wrote:

What if I change my plan, from 40$ to 25$, 

could this automatic change my rewards into the new rewards?

I’m too scared to touch the reward button.

NO need to be. Just read what screens are presenting without clicking. New reward status site works great.

Just do not go here... not to make any mistakes.

Yummy_0-1644425767725.png

HI @iamnightowl   No , changing plan won't affect Reward system.  Existing customers will still be on the old rewards system  

iamnightowl

What if I change my plan, from 40$ to 25$, 

could this automatic change my rewards into the new rewards?

I’m too scared to touch the reward button.

LeePublic

I agree, I think VoLTE will be available soon due to Manitoba's 3G sunset. Maybe a little boost in the 3G speeds would be nice (up to 5-10 Mbps), but not likely. Unlimited data is unlikely as PM decided on rewards as the main attraction.

killer23d

This is why Telus has 3 brands:

Telus - Latest and Greats (5G, latest phones, share plan, unlimited data) : Biggest Profit - locked for 2 years
Koodo - Majority (LTE, VoLTE, Wifi Calling) : Moderate Profit - locked for 2 years

Public - The basics (LTE throttled, BYOB) : Low Profit - highly fluid, more the merrier

Unlimited data on Chatr for example is 128k, that won't even get Google Map to work properly. It is good enough for messaging apps.

E-Sim is a rip off from the carriers. They charge $10-$15 for a QR code! You'd think they just generate an electronic one from the system and we just print and scan? No! They comes in pack of 10 like a normal SIM, just each one has a QR code on it (talk about being green 😂). I support e-sim as long as it free as it has no overhead. Even charging $10 for a SIM to activate service is just money grab. They can't ding you $45 on activation on prepaid? Let's try ding you on the SIM card which is pennies to make.

The whole telecom industry is about who makes the first move (for better or for worse), then everyone just follows. They kind of figured out that they cornered the market have have influences in our gov so CRTC is just puppets. I am so tired of dealing with carriers every 2 years, but that's just something I need to do to save some money.

BearFBI

I just hope that this new point system, means more money for PM, and more money for improvements ?.........mabey ?.........

We need voice over LTE, we need faster data, unlimited data, we need better everything. Throttled 3mbps over LTE is a joke, mabey 3 or 4 years ago it was fine but webpages and internet tasks need more and more bandwidth now, it's like inflation. I'm using 3G and it's miles faster with about the same latency, packet loss, and jitter, isn't that sad ? VoLTE is long due, 3G sunset is 3 ish years away. Unlimited data is overdue as well, literally every carrier has it including lucky mobile ! If we have to pay more for our plans, at least be equal to the competition and offer the same perks ! Heck, lucky even has E-SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlaspapa : Emails were sent in error. If you haven't done anything then you're still on the original system.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't know which program I'm on cause I got an email giving me 5 points and welcoming me to the points program?

yuma2021

I was not sure its better or not. i just made simple chart. hope this will make everyone understand easier.

did not added welcome point / loyalty perks.

hope this chart can help some people 

new point public mobile.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.