Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Public Points Rewards

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

We are happy to announce the launch of Public Points! 

Starting on January 25, 2022, Public Mobile customers who activate, will automatically be part of Public Points. This means that customers who activated prior to January 25, 2022 will remain on old Public Rewards without any change to the way or amount earned. Don’t worry, these customers can still join Public Points. 

Jade_S_0-1643120205986.png

What is Public Points? 

Public Points is our newly improved rewards program. Sure, we loved Public Rewards, but in our endless pursuit of making things better for our customers, we’ve given it a makeover and made it more flexible than before. 

With Public Points you can:

• Earn points. Public Points are so easy to earn, you’ll be rich in no time.
  • Redeem points. We make redeeming points simple. 1 point earned = 1 dollar when redeemed.  
  • Start saving. Redeem points on things that matter to you - like money off your bill, free add-ons, or the chance to win awesome prizes. 
  • Join whenever you want. Learn more here

Ways to earn Public Points:

With Public Points, earning points is so easy, you  can do it just by saying, "I'm in." And that's actually one of the ways you can earn points – by joining Public Points. There are a lot of other ways you can earn too:

Reward

Points Earned

How do I earn it?

When do I receive it?

One-time

Welcome Present

5 points

As a little welcome present for joining Public Points, we’ll give you 5 points.

Your Welcome Present will be added after we’ve set up your profile, you’ve signed into My Rewards, and you’ve accepted the Terms & Conditions

Loyalty Perks

1 point for every month with Public

As if welcome points didn't sound nice enough, you'll also earn 1 point for every month you've been with Public Mobile

Automatically added after you’ve joined Public Points, and we’ve set up your profile on My Rewards.

Reoccurring

Points Back

5% back for every dollar spent

Earn points just by paying your bill. For every dollar you spend (on your plan and on add-ons), you’ll make 5% of it back in points. Spend away!

Within 48 hours of your spend

Anniversary Points

10 points

For every twelve months you stay with us, you’ll earn 10 points. Think of it like an anniversary present!

Note: time spent in suspend status is still counted towards your Anniversary.

On your Anniversary date

Give Back

1-20 points

Earn up to 20 points every 30 days by asking questions, helping others and voicing your opinion on the Public Mobile Community.

Community standings are released the first week of the following month, and Give Back points are added within 48 hours. 

Refer-a-Friend

1 point every 30 days / active friend you referred

Refer a friend to Public Mobile, and you’ll receive one point for every 30 days your friend stays with us. 

Your friend will also receive a one-time $10 credit when they use your referral code.

Note: your referral code can be found on your My Rewards homepage. 

Every 30 days from your renewal date

Ways to redeem Public Points:

Unlike some other rewards programs, there isn’t a specific way or time limit to cash-in yourpoints. When and how you redeem your points is entirely up to you! Just keep in mind that 1 point earned is valued at 1 dollar when redeemed. Really, that’s it!

Rewards include: 

Catalogue Item

Points Cost

Description

When do I receive it?

Lower Your Bill

15 points

By spending 15 easily-earned points, customers can save $15 in hard-earned cash off of the price of their phone bill.

This will be applied to your next renewal

Add Some Extras

Varies

We’ve got plenty of add-ons for varying amounts of points. Roaming? Add-on a little. Long distance minutes? Add-on some more. Extra data? Add-on a whole lot! It’s entirely up to you..

Add-ons will be added immediately. 

In rare cases, it may take a few hours to appear in your account. 

If you haven’t received your add-on, please contact us for support. 

Jackpot

1 point

Enter our contests for a chance to win some exciting prizes. Contest details vary, but we'll send you an email with all the details whenever we launch new ones.

Contest winners will be contacted soon after contests close. 

Rewards Calculator 

Wonder how many  Public Points you could be raking in? Check outour rewards calculator. This tool will compare your old Public Rewards against Public Points. Simply input your information, and watch your points pile up! 

Note: this tool is only for estimation purposes. There may be inaccuracies between the estimated amount and your actual Public Points earning amount  

How to access Rewards:

My Rewards is your new home for all things rewards - all your points are kept in one neat, little place. Simply sign in with your My Account information to start earning and spending points. 

Do you have more questions about Public Points? Check out these FAQs here 

Thank you Community for your support! Remember we have our Oracle and Public Mobile teams to assist with any questions you have. Happy earning! 

- Public Mobile Team

297 REPLIES 297

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe they'll try to wean us off the old rewards program with attractive PM migration to Koodo/Telus plans like the $40 8 GB a few years ago. 

Tahiti
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@pkaraa 

Your "There is a cap on rewards after 5 years I think. Do we have any cap on points too?"

= Under the old system, there is a cap on Loyalty reward of max. $5/mth after 5 years. Hence, max. $60/year.

(if u choose to stay with old system, your Loyalty reward will continue accumulation till $5, don't worry)

= vs. Anniversary points of 10 points regardless of # of years u've been with Public. 5th year, still only 10 points.

There is no cap on points, this is an advantage of the new point system.  Old system only give u referral credits up to your plan fee, sort of.  New system is unlimited for referral.  However, believe someone was mentioning $15 . . .  not sure if points can be "cashed/used" in chunks of $15 or other amount.  Also, someone mentioned 365 days . . . still missing details of how new system works.

killer23d

In my office, everyone hated Telus backend, it used to be one brand one login; now that they integrated everything to SSO, it is often sluggish. PM site on the other end, it definitely feels like a virtual machine run off limited resources. 😅 PM in general feels like a pet project, nonetheless it works most of the time and on the contrary it is the most popular seller compare to Koodo and Telus.

With the increased conversion campaigns (prepaid to post-paid) happening with Telus, in my experience two things will happen with PM and it is a corporate strategy, I see the similar changes with their other brands.

1) Close to price gaps between prepaid and post-paid
2) Discontinuation of grandfathered plans and rewards

Situation 1) They have been closing the gap with removal of $30 and introducing $35; where in post paid, $45@24 months can get a decent phone and 6GB+. Situation 2) They put the hammer down and buys everyone out. Since this is prepaid and they are not obligated to honor anything.

One way or the other, transmission costs are the same whether you are 1GB @ 3G or 50GB @ 5G, the infrastructure are in place, it's just a matter of how much they decide to milk everyone to enrich the executives and shareholders. I bet the Big 3 executives have monthly discussions of whose turn next to stir the pot over beer. I am not sure about everyone, we are in a oligopoly for many industries in Canada.

LeePublic

I'm sorry if you think the CRTC or your local MP will do anything. The sad truth is the Big Three and the CRTC are in each other's pockets so we'll have to "bend over".....

@barndoor wrote:

So does this mean the $2 autopay is a thing of the past for new customers ?  or has it been replaced by the 5%  payback ? 

Hi @barndoor Yes, no more Autopay $2 discount for new customers.  They have 5% off instead.  Also, new customer would no longer enjoy the Loyalty rewards, they only have a 10 points (= $10)  at their Anniversary, just 10 points every time no matter how long they stay

for those of us who stay with the old reward system, we can still enjoy the Autopay discount as well as the Loyalty reward

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That's a bummer  killer23d.    

If they spent as much time fixing glitches as they spend dreaming up ways  to weasel  money back from their customers I would feel more loyalty . 🙄

So does this mean the $2 autopay is a thing of the past for new customers ?  or has it been replaced by the 5%  payback ? 

It is nice to see that they have adjusted the bulletin board  up to a more up to date level  but the smileys still don't work right for me ... 🙄  

LeePublic

Thank you, @CountyDownIeUk! It would be appreciated to see the TRUE cost if we joined the new PM Points program.

pkaraa

In the excel file I try putting 1 year and 3.5 years tenure, both gave me better to stay with old rewarding system. 

pkaraa

@hTideGnow wrote:

@pkaraa wrote:

The difference is 10 points at every anniversary and points on dollars paid every month.

Rest seems the same.

Hi @pkaraa  Difference is MORE than 10 points at every anniversary

If you are even a 1 years customer, now you get $1 off every month from loyalty, $12   a year

new system.  New system: 10 points = $10

But 2nd year, you get $2 /month = $25 a year.     New System: 10 points = $10

So the difference will be a lot !!

There is a cap on rewards after 5 years I think. 

Do we have any cap on points too?

killer23d

What's done is done, I am on the $30/2GB from Aug 2020, my past bill was $24 after all the credits. Now I will be back up to $30.

I would not hold my breath and predict Telus will force switches over eventually since I just did a quick research and PM restructuring the rewards program to be "in-line" with Lucky and Chatr. The plans and options are all the same, there is really no difference who you go with at the prepaid tier. They are doing this points program to lock people in (or until their port out) until the points can be redeemed. We are the least profitable segment and don't be surprised our prices will go up.

I sell wireless and home services for multi-carriers, since COVID, everything went more expensive either in price increase or reduced discounts. Something you guys need to voice out with your MP and make CRTC do something. The balance sheets are looking so good for the carriers with the expanse of our wallets.

@killer23d wrote:

There was a check box before you commit to the new program.

The new reward catalogue looks like this:

@killer23d   Thanks for being the "brave" one and "sacrificing" for us all to check.   🙂

killer23d

There was a check box before you commit to the new program.

The new reward catalogue looks like this:

FireShot Capture 002 - Catalogue - publicmobile.ca.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@killer23d : Well...they would say that wouldn't they.

So when you clicked on the join button, there was no confirmation? It just went? I understand that you thought you had to join but I wonder if there was a final "Are you sure?".

Is it still saying in process. I think many of us would be interested to see the ins and outs before committing. And to help others.

@killer23d wrote:

PSA: If you have joined the new reward program by mistake, there is no turning back.

I just received a PM from one of the mods and once it is transferred, it's done. 😕

Would be nice to be able to set up your My Rewards to remove the “switch to points” button. 

killer23d

PSA: If you have joined the new reward program by mistake, there is no turning back.

I just received a PM from one of the mods and once it is transferred, it's done. 😕

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @CountyDownIeUk   And I read Jade message again, look like you can only claim Public Points in $15 a time, now like now, you have $1 and it got applied right a way.   

That would be really 5uck if they have the 365 days term

@hTideGnow 

For those that switch and for new customers it is still a good deal and competition wise makes PM be in the forefront by camping off of the Telus program. But I too prefer to not have to take the second step and like the instantaneous satisfaction of a bill credit. Perhaps PM can set up an auto deposit whenever 15 points is attained?   

When PM sees what rewards are taken vs the bill credits.....will determine the continuance or modification of the points program. 

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I was inputting some numbers into the calculator and don't see this as an improvement, but rather a business decision.  Unfortunately, this calculation spreadsheet stops at the 2 year point and fails to show how the longer you've been a customer, the worse off you are off you can be on the new points program.  The way that thngs are set up, someone swtiching to the new program will see a jump in the amount of points received in the first year but then often a drastic decline in following years.  I played with a bunch of real account reward numbers and some fictional numbers, and I found extremely few cases in which customers do better on the new program at the 2 year mark.  And as I said earlier, the calculator fails to show how it's possible that even if someone would be better off at 2 years, that customer could potentially be much worse off after that.

@computergeek541 

I will take a look at the excel file and see if I can modify it to work for 5 years. 

HI @CountyDownIeUk   I was thinking about that but I don't know enough of Excel

Would be nice if you can share. 

I was thinking they just purposely set to 2 years so you don't see your BIGGER lost .

thanks

@computergeek541 wrote:

I was inputting some numbers into the calculator and don't see this as an improvement, but rather a business decision.  Unfortunately, this calculation spreadsheet stops at the 2 year point and fails to show how the longer you've been a customer, the worse off you are off you can be on the new points program.  The way that thngs are set up, someone swtiching to the new program will see a jump in the amount of points received in the first year but then often a drastic decline in following years.  I played with a bunch of real account reward numbers and some fictional numbers, and I found extremely few cases in which customers do better on the new program at the 2 year mark.  And as I said earlier, the calculator fails to show how it's possible that even if someone would be better off at 2 years, that customer could potentially be much worse off after that.

@computergeek541 

I will take a look at the excel file and see if I can modify it to work for 5 years. 

HI @CountyDownIeUk   And I read Jade message again, look like you can only claim Public Points in $15 a time, now like now, you have $1 and it got applied right a way.   

That would be really 5uck if they have the 365 days term

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @CountyDownIeUk   So, the Jackpot on Telus are only Telus service?  Not something like Giftcard, phones or anything non-Telus related?

If you have more than 1 Telus HOME service you can then gain points. Then you can look at a decent size catalogue to buy stuff like gift cards etc. I don’t look to hard at it as I only take the bill credit. The credit is offered in lumps like $10, $25, and $50 etc. I use the $50 which takes about a year to gain...AND it is clear that you cannot apply for another  credit until 365 days pass. I wonder what parameters are in the PM catalogue?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@myelinsheath 

That email was a sent in error. You are still earning rewards as before just everyone got a separate rewards account with the option to opt into the points program. Don't.

I think that Public Mobile is going to be disappointed to find out that almost no current customers switch over. The numbers aren't there.  For a customer who has been at Public Mobile less than a year, this person could end up getting more on the program for the first year, if the person is on a $70 plan. That's a big if. I didn't run through every possible scenario, but who really subscribes to Public Mobile to be on a $70 plan?  Even then, after earning a $1 per 30 day loyalty reward on the old program, the gap quickly closes, and in the long trun, you're better off to be on the old program.

I'd almost rather Public Mobile announce that they can no longer afford to continue to offer autopay and loyalty rewards for new customers than to try reinvent the program and show confusing calculation methods to show why the new program is better (when it isn't).    I'm aware that the company has every right to change the rewards program, but I won't pretend that these changes are a good thing for the consumer.

@computergeek541 

Don’t forget about attrition, what the rewards cost the vs what points will cost them. And they probably know what the core group of us are that won’t convert.......there is not point of ruffling anyone’s feathers to leave a bad taste towards PM, KOODO or TELUS. 

HI @CountyDownIeUk   So, the Jackpot on Telus are only Telus service?  Not something like Giftcard, phones or anything non-Telus related?

@olav1 wrote:

ackpot

1 point

Enter our contests for a chance to win some exciting prizes. Contest details vary, but we'll send you an email with all the details whenever we launch new ones.

This may be issue in Quebec.

All published contests must be registered (especially if you have to buy in to the contest) with some government body and winnings must be tax free as the contest holder pays them upfront.

@olav1  Telus rewards have similar offers although I cannot confirm as I have not het seen the PM offers.  If you are a Telus customer ... check it out. But just thinking....Telus TV, Internet is probably not in Quebec😀. So perhaps this is something that was overlooked by PM. 

@LeePublic wrote:

I wasn't very surprised to see the rewards program get devalued unless you are on the $40+ plans then it would be a slight improvement but you lose the loyalty yearly increase in credits. Only an extra bonus 10 pts per year. That's it. I hope PM will continue to honor the newly grandfathered rewards for years to come. At least until we get bumped off, then we will have to re-evaluate if it's worth staying with PM.

@LeePublic 

Don't forget that attrition will occur and my guesstimate  would be 20-25% annually. 

LeePublic

I wasn't very surprised to see the rewards program get devalued unless you are on the $40+ plans then it would be a slight improvement but you lose the loyalty yearly increase in credits. Only an extra bonus 10 pts per year. That's it. I hope PM will continue to honor the newly grandfathered rewards for years to come. At least until we get bumped off, then we will have to re-evaluate if it's worth staying with PM.

olav1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ackpot

1 point

This may be issue in Quebec.

All published contests must be registered (especially if you have to buy in to the contest) with some government body and winnings must be tax free as the contest holder pays them upfront.

@darlicious wrote:

@myelinsheath 

That email was a sent in error. You are still earning rewards as before just everyone got a separate rewards account with the option to opt into the points program. Don't.

I think that Public Mobile is going to be disappointed to find out that almost no current customers switch over. The numbers aren't there.  For a customer who has been at Public Mobile less than a year, this person could end up getting more on the program for the first year, if the person is on a $70 plan. That's a big if. I didn't run through every possible scenario, but who really subscribes to Public Mobile to be on a $70 plan?  Even then, after earning a $1 per 30 day loyalty reward on the old program, the gap quickly closes, and in the long trun, you're better off to be on the old program.

I'd almost rather Public Mobile announce that they can no longer afford to continue to offer autopay and loyalty rewards for new customers than to try reinvent the program and show confusing calculation methods to show why the new program is better (when it isn't).    I'm aware that the company has every right to change the rewards program, but I won't pretend that these changes are a good thing for the consumer.

@myelinsheath 

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

killer23d

I was viewing it on my phone and didn't pay attention to the part where it's optional to this. Since it's my fault, I am at the mercy of the mods to fix this.

This is my in-law's account and PM is probably the most transparent and hassle free service, tbh I really hate the idea of trying to score a "deal" every 2 years; something that I have been doing in past 4 Black Fridays with my own and wife's Koodo and Fido lines.

This new reward program is a business decision rather than for the benefit of the existing client base. I much prefer the fixed and gradually decreasing monthly fee than having to remember to "redeem" every now and then. When you leave, you either have to forfeit your points or wait until you have enough to redeem

If Telus keep muddling with PM then I will likely take my business elsewhere.

myelinsheath
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I didn't do anything but got an email thanking me for switching. But the first post said you can choose to switch. Kind of confused. Why was I switched when I never picked to switch?

Need Help? Let's chat.