cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: [ISSUE RESOLVED] Renewal and Payment Due Date in Self-Serve

@gblackma wrote:

@Tiana_V , @Vivian_Y , @z10user4 , @BearFBI 611 has the correct payment due date and time. Try it and please fix the self service portal. It should say like 611 doe Payment will be taken out at 2 am eastern standard time the day before it actually says now. Thanks. Stay safe. 

Yes on autopay gives the right information. Not on autopay gives "due on" the new term date. This is also incorrect. It could say "due by" and I'd be fine with that as that would imply sometime before that date. Or otherwise fix it.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4  I just was in the self service account it now says due before the 611 date. Ie if the 611 date is due at 2 am May 25th. The self service account now says due before May 25th. Should say due at 2am May 25th like 611 does. 

Highlighted
Oracle

@gblackma wrote:

@z10user4  I just was in the self service account it now says due before the 611 date. Ie if the 611 date is due at 2 am May 25th. The self service account now says due before May 25th. Should say due at 2am May 25th like 611 does. 

Great way to confuse people by adding an exact time.  We used to have a payment due date which was the day before and the payment date which is the day following and customers complained to no end about mixing up the two dates.  Since most easterners would be asleep by 2:00am, the current wording is adequate.  I would also add that anyone waiting literally to the last hour to pay a bill is playing with fire.  Personally I prefer the old way but the current is fine as is.  

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@gblackma wrote:

Yeah it does seem they just changed it. You and I both saw what we saw.

So all good. I agree not to bother giving the time on the site. 611 is fine.

Some little foibles here and there. 611 no autopay is wrong.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

A bit of history about how we got here:

1.  back before Oct 2018, PM used to have at least 4 different labels for the dates, with 2 dates present: Renewal date, Expiry Date (which is the same as the Renewal Date), Payment Due date, and AutoPay Date. The problem was that it was completely inconsistent and inaccurate. The exact same date would have 2 different contradicting labels depending on where you were looking inside Self-Serve. It was also incorrect in the context of an active account vs an expired account.

I raised this issue and documented this extensively. With some guidance, the date, the respective labels, and any language associated with each one was eventually cleaned up around Nov 2018 (under the guise of Alan_K) and all was well (at least good enough that it was consistent).

2.  Around Nov 2019, someone fooled around with the dates in Self-Serve such that the Payment Due date was replaced with the Renewal Date BUT the wording on all the pages was not changed. This created contradictions such that users not on AutoPay would think they had an extra day to make their payment but could lose service 24 hours earlier (a little less than 24 hours, since payment processing times are at 2 AM for application of rewards and autopay and 6 AM for renewing plans). It also meant that anyone on AutoPay trying to suspend their plan before AutoPay would trigger and their plan renew would miss the deadline by a day.

It took me a couple of months to realize this change and its impact (I thought I was reading and remembering things wrong at first). So, again I painstakingly documented the problems all over again. It took submitting this to 9 (yes NINE) Mods because none of them understood the problem (UGH!). After much effort, I finally was able to get this escalated to management to get this addressed.

So now we have the result of that. Now at least all is cleaned up and consistent and makes sense. Self-Serve never made mention of the 2 AM (ET) cycle, so though not precise, the wording in Self-serve is accurate enough. This label is meant to represent the date for any manual payments. 

Of course, those in the know understand that payment is triggered at 2 AM. Now that date is simply labelled "Payment due before: <date>." but of course AutoPay is triggered at 2 AM on that date, 2 hours later than implied.

Of course, the most precise language, as it stands now, would be to say "Payment due before 2 AM on <date>." So what is there now is not as precise. Oh well. Not my exact choice but close enough. The worst case is someone will make a manual payment 2 hours earlier than the absolutely need to. It is much better than being late by almost a day under both scenarios presented above.

BTW, Alan_K no longer manages Self-Serve. That now falls to Tiana_V.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

You weren't the only one writing screeds to the powers that be. I wrote something back when popping noticed the date change late in the fall.

But you have apparently been more prolific over a longer period of time 🙂

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tiana_V @Vivian_Y 

Thanks for finally getting this cleaned up!

P.S. One small change would be more accurate: on the Payment tab, where it says "Next Payment Taken: it should say "Next Auto-Payment Taken: "

It is minor but it would be more accurate.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So, for those of us who have to keep weird hours and aren't sleep at 2am or sometimes 6am still have seamless service as long as we've paid already? 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 hi yes your service is seemless

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

So, for those of us who have to keep weird hours and aren't sleep at 2am or sometimes 6am still have seamless service as long as we've paid already? 

To ensure your scheduled plan renewal goes smooth, you can load $$ into Available Funds a few days before the next renewal. You can load $$ with your valid credit card or payment vouchers. (if you have a valid credit card, you can add it on your account and enable Autopay ...that way you'll still get the Autopay reward even if you use vouchers to pay for your plan renewal.)

Need Help? Let's chat.