cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a SIM for $0 when you activate in-store!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Update as of November 1, 2019: This offer is now expired.

Hey Community,

Effective October 25, 2019 until November 1, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card for $0 when you activate on a $25/mo plan or higher in-store at participating retailers! This offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on a $25/mo plan or higher in-store at a participating retailer from October 25 to November 1, 2019, you will get a SIM for $0!
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Walmart
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • Public Mobile Kiosks

To learn more about Public Mobile, click here.

-Public Mobile Community Team

59 REPLIES 59

janezhen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No. They didn't offer me that. They posted the SIM card price is $9.99.

@Mercman wrote:

Yes, I signed up for the $25 plan.  It is difficult for me to go back to WoW as I live 1.5 hours away where my brother lives.  I had to have him accompany me so that I could keep my cell number.  I was on a family plan in his name and he had to be there to authorize the unlocking of the phone and the service termination with Rogers.  Do I have to go back to wow mobile? I.5 hrs away!

@MercmanDid you pay by credit card? You could call the manager of the store and ask for it to be credited back to you as long as you can supply them the receipt and any relevant information. Or ask that next time you are in the area that they either refund it back to your card then or Get a free SIM card to have as a spare or for someone you refer who is also close to you but not to a retailer  that sell pm SIM cards for the next online only activation promotion. (They could then mail you one.) You could save the day for someone and guarantee yourself a referral. It would be extra advantageous during a bonus referral promo where you both get account credits.

@LJW  Geez what location did you use? There are no activation fees for public mobile. The fact that a large retailer would try to charge you a non existent fee is incredulous to me. I suppose anything possible something similar happened to a community member at Wal-Mart. I personally would be calling the manager and complaining but what you choose to do is your personal choice....I give excellent customer service so I tend to demand it in return. I'd be pretty mad right now that this particular location has now reneged on their two main service commitments in their retail philosophy .

LJW
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@darliciousThank you, I just called and they said the same thing. Then they said that there is a $30 activation fee as well......I was not charged this so maybe I should leave it alone!? I was only charged the $11 or so for the card. IDK

@LJW  You can go back ad ask them to price match the free SIM card. They will do it retroactively  as long as you activated it in store. Bring your reciept and activation print out and ask to speak to the manager. Read their price match policy online so you are familiar with the conditions and you can refer to the Broadway and cambie location in Vancouver as a location that has done it on more than one occasion. Just be understanding that "not all of the employees were aware of the additonal promotion that was stackable with the second month free flash sale." Of course one of the reasons you shop at london drugs is that they have such a great customer service guarantee and have great prices to compete with other retailers by offering their price match policy to loyal customers like yourself.

LJW

I activated a SIM card at London Drugs on Friday, I was charged for it....

@janezhen wrote:

I wish I knew that earlier. But I did go to the mobile shop today.  I didn't know Walmart has. Or I would done it there.  I waited in the Mobile shop they kept selling freedom and lucky mobile to me.  After more than an hour they finally told me they sold out the public mobile sim card 😤😤 so I went to London drug bought a sim card activated by myself.  To qualify the next 30 day $0.

@janezhen  London drugs didn't offer to activate in store for you? Despite not being listed for the free SIM card offer they do price match. I slipped in under the wire today activating for a friend who couldn't make it out today. Free sim card from London drugs today when I had them activate it in store I called ahead to make sure they would give a free SIM card.

@janezhen wrote:

I wish I knew that earlier. But I did go to the mobile shop today.  I didn't know Walmart has. Or I would done it there.  I waited in the Mobile shop they kept selling freedom and lucky mobile to me.  After more than an hour they finally told me they sold out the public mobile sim card 

Why didn't thet tell you that at the start? At least you got one.

janezhen

I wish I knew that earlier. But I did go to the mobile shop today.  I didn't know Walmart has. Or I would done it there.  I waited in the Mobile shop they kept selling freedom and lucky mobile to me.  After more than an hour they finally told me they sold out the public mobile sim card 😤😤 so I went to London drug bought a sim card activated by myself.  To qualify the next 30 day $0.

Give the WOW kiosk

@Mercman wrote:

Yes, I signed up for the $25 plan.  It is difficult for me to go back to WoW as I live 1.5 hours away where my brother lives.  I had to have him accompany me so that I could keep my cell number.  I was on a family plan in his name and he had to be there to authorize the unlocking of the phone and the service termination with Rogers.  Do I have to go back to WoW (1.5 hours away)?

Give the WOW mobile kiosk a call and see why the credit wasn't provided as you've met the conditions of the offer. Ask your brother to drop by and enquire on your behalf, if you can't find a contact number for them.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mercman  message the moderators to see if they can just apply a 10$ credit on your account or something! 

Mercman

Yes, I signed up for the $25 plan.  It is difficult for me to go back to WoW as I live 1.5 hours away where my brother lives.  I had to have him accompany me so that I could keep my cell number.  I was on a family plan in his name and he had to be there to authorize the unlocking of the phone and the service termination with Rogers.  Do I have to go back to WoW (1.5 hours away)?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Mercman  did you activate on a 25$ plan or more? If so it should have been free. The pin number you have to send a message to the Moderator_Team and and they can change it. Click here to start a conversation with Simon the chat bot and get a ticket for the pin change

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

@Mercman wrote:

Hi,

I was at the Wow Mobile Boutique and signed up for Public Mobile as a new member at 11:44am this morning and they made me pay for a SIM card.  Should I not have gotten it for free?

Also, can someone tell me how to change my 4 digit PIN # ?

Thanks!

Effective October 25, 2019 until November 1, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, we are offering a SIM card for $0 when you activate on a $25/mo plan or higher in-store at participating retailers! This offer is available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate on a $25/mo plan or higher in-store at a participating retailer from October 25 to November 1, 2019, you will get a SIM for $0!
      • Walmart
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

@MercmanYou would have to go back and talk to Wow mobile with the print out of the annoucement.

You would need to contact the moderators by clicking on the ? in the lower right hand corner in order to change your PIN#

Mercman

Hi,

I was at the Wow Mobile Boutique and signed up for Public Mobile as a new member at 11:44am this morning and they made me pay for a SIM card.  Should I not have gotten it for free?

Also, can someone tell me how to change my 4 digit PIN # ?

Thanks!

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CJ_in_Chilli wrote Mind explaining why you buy several Sim cards as "backup", is it that you lose your phone often? Curious... 

Several?? Just one as a backup is several? Okayyyy

Anyway, I always have one on hand cause if a friend wants to sign up I have one I can sell him so he doesn't have to wait to get one.

@CJ_in_Chilli wrote:

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

How to Get this Offer:

• Walmart
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

As it turns out @Alan_K needs to be a tad more precise with the flash promo announcements wording... An account credit isn't quite the same as 0$ (implying free) unless the tax is also credited... Hehe! 

The free sim promotion is not via an account credit. There is no up front cost for the sim card, not even tax.

As for the Flash Sale, no tax needs to be paid for the free 30 days either.

CJ_in_Chilli

@lukevader wrote:

Time to order another one from Amazon as a backup now. :thumbsup:

Mind explaining why you buy several Sim cards as "backup", is it that you lose your phone often? 

Curious... 

CJ_in_Chilli

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

How to Get this Offer:

• Walmart
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

As it turns out @Alan_K needs to be a tad more precise with the flash promo announcements wording... An account credit isn't quite the same as 0$ (implying free) unless the tax is also credited... Hehe! 

lukevader

Meh, I just activated a new line last night and I just couldnt bring myself to go into a store and activate to save the $10.

Even when I WAS in a walmart trying to get a sim card back in early Sept the guy was just on the PM website trying to activate it. I refused to give him any of my info. I just wanted to buy the sim card... nope.... he wouldnt do it so I left without it. I went right across the street and bought 2 sims from london drugs and just used the 2nd one last night. 

Time to order another one from Amazon as a backup now. :thumbsup:

EDIT: OH WOW, they are only 7.69 each right now with free prime shipping. 

@jstyles wrote:

Hello,

I wish I saw this earlier. I just bought a sim card and used a referral code to receive $10 credit for opening a new account and in my profile page or in my outstanding balance it doesn say that I received it? 

Can you help me

thank you

The official Public Mobile information about that offer says to give it up to 72 hours for that $10 credit to appear in your Public Mobile account balance.

jstyles

Hello,

I wish I saw this earlier. I just bought a sim card and used a referral code to receive $10 credit for opening a new account and in my profile page or in my outstanding balance it doesn say that I received it? 

Can you help me

thank you

@Simoneabolarind wrote:

I was charge $10 in walmart store on Wednesday when u activated a line and i specifically told the guy at the store but he refused and told me i have to pay. Can someone get back to me asap. Thank .

I know that many people have received free sim cards when activating at Walmart. However, since this is something they don't advertise, it's not something that you can hold them to. As always, consumers are always free to shop around and to look for the best price or services.  If you do wish for someone to get back to you, it's really thw Walmart location that I would try speaking to, but they charged you the officially advertised price.

@Simoneabolarind wrote:

I was charge $10 in walmart store on Wednesday when u activated a line and i specifically told the guy at the store but he refused and told me i have to pay. Can someone get back to me asap. Thank .

This promo was only offered earlier this morning.  Your activation on Wednesday isn't within the dates specified.  Sorry about your luck.

Simoneabolarind

@kelvarnsen wrote:

So just to clarify, anyone activating between now and the 1st gets this, even without a referral code. Is that correct?

Someone activating in-store on a $25+ plan until November 1st 11:59PM EDT would receive a free sim card AND a one-time $10 credit if a referral code is used during activation.

Using a referral code is optional (there just won't be a $10 account credit if you don't). The sim would still be free with this promotion.

kelvarnsen

So just to clarify, anyone activating between now and the 1st gets this, even without a referral code. Is that correct?

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Alan_K wrote:

Hey Community,

How to Get this Offer:

• Walmart
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

But I thought the SIM cards were always free if you activated at Walmart. But perhaps they just used to be free when we set up our accounts many months ago initially just to try out PM on the $10/month plans and later up them to the awesome $15 plan. Noticed that PM grandfathered the $10 limited plan that in my opinion will result in fewer persons just trying out PM before they cancel their plans with other providers. Under the present set up we would have never switched from Bell to PM.

PS.  I will revise my comments above -Yes.. yes even under the present plans offered by PM we would still have switched from Bell to PM ----- just checked Bell's prepaid plans and none can hold a candle next to the great plans offered by PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.