cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you outgrowing your plan? An offer from our friends at TELUS.

Catherine_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

At Public Mobile, we're for you. We recognize that sometimes our customers' needs may change, whether you need more data or even a new phone. That’s why, today we're pleased to let our Community know that our friends at TELUS are offering a great deal exclusive for Public Mobile customers!

Launching today and available until November 18th, 2020, 11:59PM EST, Public Mobile customers are eligible for a $120 bill credit when they call in and switch to any TELUS Peace of Mind plan. 

Why TELUS?

1. Got your eye on the latest iPhone? Get access to the latest, greatest phones at $0 upfront and device financing over 24 months
  2. Get 10-50GB high-speed 4G LTE data + endless data (that means unlimited data) at reduced speeds
  3. Get access to TELUS’s 24/7 call centres support

Catherine_T_0-1603998171750.png

Catherine_T_1-1603998172119.png

How it works:

1. Customers can redeem this offer by calling 1-877-689-8430 to initiate an activation on a TELUS postpaid plan.
  2. Customers who successfully complete the credit check will have their hardware (SIM and/or device) sent over to their address.
  3. Customers will port-in their Public Mobile phone number through their TELUS My Account once they have received their hardware (SIM and/or device).

Important thing to note:

• A credit check is required to assess eligibility.
  • The customer’s Public Mobile account will be cancelled when the port to TELUS has been completed.
  • Please note that the customer’s Public Mobile account balance will not transfer after porting out to TELUS.

Sounding like a good deal? We’re for you, which is why we’d love to see you grow a relationship with our friends at TELUS. To learn more about TELUS, click here.

- The Public Mobile Team

71 REPLIES 71

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

One should never expect anything, but things could always happen, even in the near future. Besides, there's only about 2 months left in the year, so we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

This and an earlier post sounds like you're hinting at possible inside knowledge. Tread lightly 🙂

@zhadj030 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Korth and @darlicious 

I agree with you both. I was expecting (we likely all were) some bigger things from PM this year as we were led to believe that 2020 was going to be an exciting year. Oh it turned out to be an exciting year on multiple fronts but not on the PM front. Not heat at least.

The year isn't over, yet. There still could be something/some change coming.

Better not expect anything, it helps to not have more disappointment than we already have for some time now.

One should never expect anything, but things could always happen, even in the near future. Besides, there's only about 2 months left in the year, so we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Korth and @darlicious 

I agree with you both. I was expecting (we likely all were) some bigger things from PM this year as we were led to believe that 2020 was going to be an exciting year. Oh it turned out to be an exciting year on multiple fronts but not on the PM front. Not heat at least.

Better not expect anything, it helps to not have more disappointment than we already have for some time now.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Korth and @darlicious 

@Korth 

Yes for sure. I’m not going anywhere either.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I got a bunch of free gifts from PM over the last year. I continue to pay less and less while getting more and more from PM each year. There's been enough PM promos and sales to keep up a slow trickle of interested referrals.

Some of PM's special offers are very compelling and successful. Others (like this "Peace of Mind" migration bribe) aren't as palatable.

Maybe not as "exciting" as PM's marketing might like us to believe. But I prefer it over the alternative of being "excited" by outrageous phone bills.

@Korth and @darlicious 

On the federal governments front to wade into cell plan pricing in order to get re-elected, yeah prices related to what you receive for the $$ have already been slowly sliding downwards fairly significantly so anyone waiting for an overnight 25% price dropped will likely be disappointed. Also the federal government only promised to wade into the 2-6Gb plans that were the most heavily used plans. Thus we see those icons on the corresponding plans in that 2-6Gb range on the PM web site.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I agree that it's time PM should reconsider offering "unlimited" data. Because it's come to the point where they're positioned as the last and only standout which refuses to provide it. From a marketing perspective this is a terrible distinction for the brand, and new customers are usually unaware of Rewards/etc so all other things being equal they'd naturally tend to choose another provider (like Lucky or Freedom) which will give them "unlimited" data, whether they use it or not.

It's also come to the point where the other carriers are starting to raise the throttle. "Unlimited" data is not only a common standard, it's becoming available in different qualities.

128/64kbps is typical but it's also next to useless for most online activity. Enough to support other communication modes, background apps, maybe even streaming audio, but little else.

But now 256/128kbps and even 512/128kbps are being offered, and that's actually enough to be useful for all kinds of things - without limit. Still insufficient for video streaming at any watchable quality, for heavy gaming, for big file transfers - the sorts of things which motivate customers to choose higher-cost data plans.

@Korth wrote:

@computergeek541 

The True North thing is a little marketing. Mostly it was just lofty-sounding and utterly meaningless political promises.

No "average Canadian family" pays at least $4000 per year for cellular subscription. (Since the promise is that such an average family will save at least $1000 per year after 25% price reduction.)

And if they do pay that much ($85 per person per month?) then either they can afford it or they need a different kind of help than a toothless government mandate will provide.

@Korth 

It's important to remember the price reductions of 25% ($1000) per family of four were based on 2018 pricing models of 2×5gb and 2×2gb data plans (14gb total) with implementation to begin in December 2019. $85/5gb was pretty standard in 2018.

The bf's contract w/fido starting in March 2018 was $50/1gb that was quickly upped to $60/2gb eventually $70/3gb and ended with their very generous offer to double the data of the $80/4gb plan to 8gb 3 days before porting his number to pm in late August 2019. All the extra billing charges were regularily topping out his bill over $100 each month.

I was paying $75 per month with the $40 unlimited data plan from freedom and $35 no data plan with telus as a back up to ensure i always had service at home. Public mobiles pricing allowed for significant savings on our former cell phone bills.

The bf's no effort method of only utililizing the $2 autopay reward has reduced a years service to about $316 saving nearly $900! More than enough to cover the cost of 5 lost phones and still come out a few hunnies ahead. I more than utilized the rewards and bonus referral credits offered by pm to save over $900 with two accounts and my entire bill(s) for one year cost me out of pocket less than $100 and is now $0.

That's a 75% and 90% savings reduction. Who needs a paltry 25% savings from the big three? This is what i call a true I'm heading south for a nice vacation because i can afford it campaign!! (Well maybe next year seeing as we have a pandemic and all but you get the point.)

@Nezgar 

I tend to agree that crippled throttled data is likely next thing to useless. But that said I have modified my stance on this a little as presumably it would keep some things functioning in the background even if it were next to useless to check the stock market etc. With the other two 3rd tier providers having it I am starting t think that PM may as well offer it for marketing if nothing else. 

This got me wondering about the $15 plan if they did add extremely throttled unlimited data. Since the only data included (officially) on the $15 plan is the 250 Mb Autopay data, would that plan potentially not include unlimited data while the $25 and up plans would? The legacy $10 plan wouldn’t so it isn't like the $15 plan would be the odd one out not worth making an exception for. It could go either way but doesn’t matter at the moment as there is no indication so far of any changes coming.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nezgar wrote:

@Awu1 wrote:

Wish public mobile will also adopt the unlimited data (at reduced speeds) policy. Many services seem to have it now, even cheaper mobile companies too. 

Wut? Who is cheaper? I'd rather take the rewards savings over some crippled data service since I am fully capable of managing my data use...

@Nezgar 

Lucky suggests crippled unlimited on their $15 plan. Chatr doesn't. I didn't look at other price points. Or I didn't dig deep enough. I wrote a little of my findings in the lounge. PM wins still in my opinion.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Awu1 wrote:

Wish public mobile will also adopt the unlimited data (at reduced speeds) policy. Many services seem to have it now, even cheaper mobile companies too. 

Wut? Who is cheaper? I'd rather take the rewards savings over some crippled data service since I am fully capable of managing my data use...

@Awu1 wrote:

Most companies have unlimited data but there isn't really a company chaeaper than Public Mobile. Public is compareable to Chatr and Lucky and both of them have unlimited data. Others have unlimtied data too and usually costs more but  some plans include more data and faster data.

Awu1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth wrote:

No "average Canadian family" pays at least $4000 per year for cellular subscription. (Since the promise is that such an average family will save at least $1000 per year after 25% price reduction.)

$82.33 per month for each person x 4 people?  LOL. That sounds more like a goal by the carriers than what people are willing to or do spend.

@computergeek541 

The True North thing is a little marketing. Mostly it was just lofty-sounding and utterly meaningless political promises.

And if they do pay that much ($85 per person per month?) then either they can afford it or they need a different kind of help than a toothless government mandate will provide.

@Korth wrote:

Costly "Peace of Mind Plan" and "True North Affordability" seem quite contrary to me.

Costly "Peace of Mind Plan" and all the reasons customers consciously chose this third-tier value provider also seem quite contrary to me.

But I suppose enough people must still keep buying it because Telus still keeps selling it.

I think that the True North Affordability thing is marketing.  The supposed goals of the federal government don't mean much to me if many of the plans have this logo placed next to them, even at the more expensive carriers, even when little or nothing has changed. And, if the carriers think that this is affordable, consumers are in trouble. I have the opinion that Canada has some of the worst wireless rates and plan prices in the world.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Costly "Peace of Mind Plan" and "True North Affordability" seem quite contrary to me.

Costly "Peace of Mind Plan" and all the reasons customers consciously chose this third-tier value provider also seem quite contrary to me.

But I suppose enough people must still keep buying it because Telus still keeps selling it.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile isn't going anywhere 😍

@darlicious  & @Anonymous 

a/s = anti submarine warfare....

That can't be what you guys are talking about can it???

😹

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SomeFriend wrote:

I like how this no longer shows up on the community's front page anymore.  Did they scrap the offer because of all the backslash already?

Well they did come up with yet another flash sale.

I'm sure it was just a compliance "yes boss" thing. And then think "There. Done. I knew our customers would think it was stupid". Gotta keep employed donchaknow.

@SomeFriend wrote:

I like how this no longer shows up on the community's front page anymore.  Did they scrap the offer because of all the backslash already?

There's only so much room on the first Community page.  This annoucement isn't pinned either, but if Public Mobile want to remove the entire thread, they could easily do that.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GlennK wrote:

Did my post get hijacked by this one?

Re: Are you outgrowing your plan? An offer from our friends at TELUS.

@GlennK 

Not so much hijacked...just merged. It's the same topic. (With a few excursions 🙂 )

@GlennK wrote:

Did my post get hijacked by this one?

Re: Are you outgrowing your plan? An offer from our friends at TELUS.

Your post was moved because there was already a thread about this offer.

GlennK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jb456 

Koodo is a $5 credit per month spread over 24 months

So the Telus credit is a far better deal

Also Telus gives a much larger hardware discount on the phone itself

I have 2 Koodo lines but in this case the Telus offer is better

(ironically the *best* promo at Koodo was the prepaid offers, hence why no migration path from Public at this time)

@Lieux 

Merci, très bon mais mon français est très pauvre je ne parle bien que la nourriture dans d'autres langues que le vin.

Bonjour @darlicious  Ravie également! N’hésitez pas à venir aider du côté français pour voir qui s’y cache!!😉

@hyT I'm not even sure that Public Mobile is a seperate business entitity owed.by the parent Telus any longer. Public Mobile may now only be a trademarked brand name.

Need Help? Let's chat.