cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The whole point of community ??

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

The idea of this community is for customers to find answers to there inquiries. So when a thread  that’s 5 plus yeas old and no longer relevant today . Should this thread be removed ?? As it only causes more confusion for those seeks answers . For example how may times can you change your phone number comes up . there is this thread that’s no longer accurate comes up 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/How-many-times-and-how-often-can-I-change...

it states only once every 30 days but the truth is it’s up to 4X every 30 days even says so on PM website 

so what’s the right answer here should it stay or be removed or at the very least why can it not be updated to reflect todays correct answers ?

Handy1_0-1705178033795.png

9 REPLIES 9

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Sorry  @Handy1  I have to agree there is little to no value to go back and update all those posts.   The example post you brough up, everyone already left the community other than Oracle

I did a quick search "how to change phone number" using only Best Match, all the results are the recent ones and the one related with how often can number be changed mentioned about 4 times a cycle

hTideGnow_2-1705346666948.png

So, I am not sure if people will choose an old posts rather than those more recent ones

And we all know, most people like to make new posts instead of searching their answers 

So, I would not try to go back to those  outdated and irrelevant posts and make corrections.  I think making correction to one week old posts, or even one month old is ok, but not for the  really old ones, I   just don't want people thinking I am trying to bring up post counts that way

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Threads don't have to be removed.

They can be locked - still available for viewing, the search engines will still index trails to them, people can still read them - but no longer allowed to be modified or appended. It's a common feature on many forums. I argue that it's a needed feature on this Community "support" forum. Indeed, I'm already aware that at least a couple active threads have been locked down here, although the reasons were to drop the gavel down on frustrating rants, slanders, and endless confrontation.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

I could be wrong, however if a thread/post is removed, I believe all associated metrics surrounding that post also disappears (ie post count, bravo count, solution count, etc)

With that, I believe by removing all those outdated and irrelevant posts, one's record of helping in years past is somewhat minimized.

If that's the case, the posts should be kept, but somehow 'marked' or 'labelled' as no longer relevant to today's services or offerings.

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I've suggested before - on some random thread years ago, lol - that threads should be automatically locked or archived after a year of inactivity, especially if a Solution was given out.

This would make the thread available to read, give information or answers to somebody's questions to a search engine. But it would also prevent thread necromancy. Things that are too old are no longer relevant - especially when they're about policies or technical details which have become obsolete, distracting, misleading, confusing. Random thread necros tend to be very disruptive, especially when a spambot sneaks in to vomit random garbage but people respond to it with serious, informative posts.

People can still always post their own thread. It's not like the old argument about preventing thread redundancy has any real merit since 99% of worried/frustrated/angry customers who find their way here will create a thread to blurt out their concerns anyhow, redundant or not.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Great discussion @Handy1 

as we were already discussing it, I combined them together for easy tracking

I have also explained the reasoning in my previous response and explained how we should deal with this going forward 

thanks

and @Handy1 @Chalupa_Batman I think it is important to keep the thead there as to respect everyone participated

Yes, time changed and policy changed,  it is no longer applicable.  So, I added a note to the solution of the thread so people who searched and got to it know the latest policy

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/How-many-times-and-how-often-can-I-change...

If you encounter years old threads like that, you can have an Oracle to make similar update 

@Handy1 @Chalupa_Batman 

First, thanks for your kindness to try to help. 

But another example is data add-on expiry, it used to be non-expiring and now 30 days.  There are at least 200+ posts about that.  We do not advise any member to go back and make 200+ updates

Also, anyone searching knows they should start reading recent posts backward to avoid outdated info

I would have to agree with @Handy1  there @softech ....  we have newbies and others searching the forums to help themselves and some who come to be apart of the helping community by "researching". If a thread is outdated with incorrect information to today's standards, it's no longer helpful and the thread itself should be removed. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

Then should this thread be removed completely as it’s not accurate any more today for those that search these forums for the necessary info ?

Need Help? Let's chat.