cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps

Deano53
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received an email about a certain app, so I go to the App Store and before i download it I like to check what or how much of our data they have access to : financial, purchases, our contacts, sensitive  information and the list goes on . In my honest but humble opinion this should be criminal. I know it’s our choice to download and use a certain app, BUT REALLY?? No such thing as privacy anymore unless we go back to a landline and throw out our computers and cell phones. Not a big fan of how this whole system is going ( realistically it’s already there ) 

enjoy your day

14 REPLIES 14

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

one privacy and second credit card info when it ask to proceed to install.

Most apps have this in disclaimer that they can use the data collected form your device with third party vendors. They sell those records for money while providing apps for 'free'.

This invasion of "privacy" is not limited to just the apps you download.

But also the apps built into your phone. Ask why do phone settings insist that something like a Calendar or Calculator app "needs" to have access to microphone, camera, contacts list, local storage, cloud storage, GPS, and data?

And ask what other invasions of "privacy" are built into your phone which don't provide the end-user with any information or any options? In the software and in the hardware.

The flat truth of the matter is that "privacy" is only an illusion these days. If you are serious about the luxury of "privacy" then the first thing you'll do is get rid of the tracking device you carry around (and faithfully report your activities to) in your pocket.

Deano53

I agree and if anyone on this planet thinks we get anything for free (sadly mistaken) there is a cost for everything, we pay one way or another. Even when our government handed out 2000/ month for Covid relief , if anyone thinks that that money is free : think again !!! WE WILL PAY !!! Bottom line 

@Deano53   FB.. it's really free to use.. except we also "Agree" to let them sell our privacy when we sign up. yes, those so many screens of  next next or the check box "I Agree".. who cares to read it.. People just want to get their Face on the Book.   🙂

But.. all the free services are like that .. Google, MSN, Amazon, etc.. If we don't "sell" our data for free service, we will have to pay $$$$ for using email, GPS, online backup..  where you think the money came from.. LoL

Anonymous
Not applicable

???

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Deano53 

any Apps you can install but some device isn't Compatible with this Version,

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

Deano53

Time for one more post , Facebook and other social media sites ( I’ve never used Facebook) but it’s free to download I assume . Well how did MR. Zuckerberg become a multi billionaire if his social media platform is SO CALLED FREE to use. ITS EVERYONES DATA that he says he never sells.🤔 . It’s becoming where they will know or already do , when we go to the bathroom and how much toilet paper we use and how many squares we use with each wipe. . Sounds ridiculous but they know more about us then we think or if we go through life kind of mindlessly, than what we know about ourselves.

🤷🏼😊

softech
Oracle
Oracle

these days, your cell phone is as valuable as your wallet.. or even more.. as long as the apps able to fool people to say yes to all the access, they can steal everything then.

Deano53

I will just say one more thing that most people probably already know , I was watching a documentary about Facebook and one of the girls who used to work for the company said that our data is the most valuable asset on the planet and it has surpassed oil. That is why these companies want it so bad . Please, I don’t want to start a huge debate etc. It’s just an observation I had , got to run have other things to do 🙂 enjoy your day everyone

Deano53

No , please don’t misunderstand what I’m saying (please) I’m a very cautious person and when i go to the App Store to look up a certain app that I may be interested In using I always like to check how much information we will be giving up and a lot of them need for some reason access to our financial and a whole host of other data.

That’s all I’m saying , just a general observation and how our privacy is really not ours anymore when we choose to use certain apps. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I hear you! Everybody wants to stick their noses in your personal life so they can 'tailor services for YOU'. But actually it is all about sucking money from you...

If you come across any app asking too much (or any) personal info just delete it.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Deano53 wrote:

I received an email about a certain app, so I go to the App Store and before i download it I like to check what or how much of our data they have access to : financial, purchases, our contacts, sensitive  information and the list goes on . In my honest but humble opinion this should be criminal. I know it’s our choice to download and use a certain app, BUT REALLY?? No such thing as privacy anymore unless we go back to a landline and throw out our computers and cell phones. Not a big fan of how this whole system is going ( realistically it’s already there ) 

enjoy your day

@Deano53  if this was a link through an EMAIL / TEXT or private message here on your Community account be wary!

Research the app name and if it is valid and one you are interested in go to your APP store separately, rather than clicking on that LINK you received.

As for data released to these APP vendors, well some info. is need regardless so you gotta give some stuff up. But it is a good practice to always DENY all permissions at first and see what is actually needed as you go.

Deano53

This is not about PM it’s just a general observation about most apps , this particular one was a health and fitness one .

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What app? Who was the email from? Pm does not have an app.  

Need Help? Let's chat.