Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US 1-800 number--- not working!

yg1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on a province-wide plan

PLUS I happen to have purchased a 200 minutes long distance bundle

Impossible to call 1-800-344-3370

I get the following message: "The number you have dialed is not available in your area at this time"

Someone please explain why or can someone fix this for me please?

9 REPLIES 9

It's crazy how folks in business don't always think about Canadians wanting to use their businesses in the US.

It's like we're in a different country or something.

yg1

I just used "google hangouts" and it worked. Thanks for the tip. 

yg1

I think this may be the answer. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

skewpar

I just had the same issue, would get an automatic message instantly saying the number I was calling isn't available in my area. I was trying to call a 1-800 number in the US.

I worked around this by using hang-outs dialer (google hangouts) to make a VoIP call instead. Hope that helps

This toll free number probably isn't going to work from anywhere in Canada.  Pretty much the company doesn't want to pay for the call.  If that is the case, no amount of long distance add-ons (which aren't required to make toll free calls) will help. You'll have to call the company's regular phone number (which will use up minutes from your LD add-on).

@Anonymous wrote:

@yg1: Toll free numbers can be geographically restricted. I searched that number and found it in San Diego. I tried it on my "landline" and got the same thing. The problem is not with Public Mobile. Why a company would want to restrict what areas can call them with their toll free number I don't know. Presumably a slight cost savings.

I hope you find this answer as you have a bunch of threads with the same question.

It is interesting the Pacific Terrace Hotel would work off of a toll free number that is geographically restricted.  This type of business should expect customers to be calling from all over the globe.  Having said that, I tried calling the number and got the same response.  I do have a long distance add-on.  So it is not due to a lack of functionality in my account.  Now when I enabled google voice in my dialer (as if calling from the US), the call went through. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yg1: Toll free numbers can be geographically restricted. I searched that number and found it in San Diego. I tried it on my "landline" and got the same thing. The problem is not with Public Mobile. Why a company would want to restrict what areas can call them with their toll free number I don't know. Presumably a slight cost savings.

I hope you find this answer as you have a bunch of threads with the same question.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yg1 Just want to confirm one more thing that you're in Canada and tried to call to US, right?

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yg1 Did you try to reboot your phone? Also, you can log in to self-serve to make sure the add-on 200mins is there. If you did everything, you still cannot make a call 

I recommend you send a private message to the moderator team and ask them to investigate.  include your account# or phone#, as well as your account PIN (if know) to help speed up the identification process.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message.

You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

How long until a moderator replies?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

Need Help? Let's chat.